Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
The_Ripper

Default EnerJet 1340 Rocket (NARAM-14 REVIEW)

Our first launch of 2006 is scheduled for Saturday 1/14 and I didn't think I would have my EnerJet 1340 Large Payload rocket or EnerJet Egg Crate ready in time so I finished painting and decals on this version I had started just before the Holidays.

The EnerJet News from September, 1972 has an image with a short article about the EnerJet 1340 Rocket System First Shown in this NARAM-14 review issue. It was a great year for EnerJet. I cut and posted the article clip below and the entire issue can be found here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/.../enerjet972.htm

or here:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ejn03.htm

My version uses a custom turned solid basswood nose cone from Sandman equal to the PNC-132. I purchased five of these cones to build a few Nike-Rams with and they were turned to fit the Semroc LT-125 heavy walled tubing. Phred made the water-slide decals from a scan I sent him of the EnerJet logo decal sheet I have from AAA.

Not sure if I will use the EM-9115 engine mount for 24mm or a 5.5" length of LT-115 for 29mm. I may build one of each and make the mounts so I can secure them with a screw in the airframe above the fin can and swap mounts in the field.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  001EnerJet 1340 Rocket System First Shown.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  118.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002EnerJet 1340 Rocket System First Shown.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  95.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EnerJet 1340 Rocket_EnerJet News Sept 1972.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  67.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 01-06-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

My version uses a custom turned solid basswood nose cone from Sandman equal to the PNC-132. I purchased five of these cones to build a few Nike-Rams with and they were turned to fit the Semroc LT-125 heavy walled tubing. Phred made the water-slide decals from a scan I sent him of the EnerJet logo decal sheet I have from AAA.

Not sure if I will use the EM-9115 engine mount for 24mm or a 5.5" length of LT-115 for 29mm. I may build one of each and make the mounts so I can secure them with a screw in the airframe above the fin can and swap mounts in the field.

Nice work,Steve! I'll have to add my half finished 1340 to my current building list. Let us know how she fly's.

Sean
Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Nice work,Steve! I'll have to add my half finished 1340 to my current building list. Let us know how she fly's.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I used a different approach to finishing this one. I painted only the nose cone and fin can with Krylon gloss white. I painted the fin can while the fin can was slipped over a piece of scrap BT-56 to mask the inside from getting paint on it. The rest is all self-adhesive type monokote. We always see our own mistakes but if you look closely even using a little water mist sprayer with a drop or two of liquid soap, I should have laid the long piece of silver on the lower airframe in two pieces because I did get a small wrinkle or two on the silver, the gold, black and white laid down pretty smooth.

The silver is not that highly reflective chrome, it's more of a sliver gray color.

My 1340 with the large payload section is still on the bench and has the lower egg capsule transition modified to fit Semroc LT-125 tubing. I'll post some new pics of that 1340 in this thread when I have more progress but there are a few pics in the egg crate thread.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
My 1340 with the large payload section is still on the bench and has the lower egg capsule transition modified to fit Semroc LT-125 tubing. I'll post some new pics of that 1340 in this thread when I have more progress but there are a few pics in the egg crate thread.

Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details. Semroc tubes, centering rings and motor mount with Pratt braided kevlar for the shock cord bridle. No paint on the airframes. I used self-adhesive monokote for the white, gold and black stripe. Has a basswood stand-off on the back side with K&S 5/16" thin wall brass tubing to slide over a 1/4" launch rod. 29mm motor mount in this one to feed it a few large motors at the next launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  _Enerjet 1340 Sounding Rocket 4th Ed Handbook of Model Rocketry.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  62.7 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Your 1340 looks great !
What motor will you be using for the first flight ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Lookin' *Spiffy!*

Steve,

Quote:
Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details.
Steve wrote:

> This is the one I remember checking out of the library three decades ago and wishing...

Now you *are* "that EnerJet guy on page 231..."

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=1648

However, I'd like to go on record as saying that I think your hair is more evenly distributed than his.

And in my mid-40's, I'll take all the hair I can get! (Well, except for the stuff that grows on my ears, and just all those odd places it never *used* to grow... )

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 01-26-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Finished this one tonight except for a few minor interior details. Semroc tubes, centering rings and motor mount with Pratt braided kevlar for the shock cord bridle. No paint on the airframes. I used self-adhesive monokote for the white, gold and black stripe. Has a basswood stand-off on the back side with K&S 5/16" thin wall brass tubing to slide over a 1/4" launch rod. 29mm motor mount in this one to feed it a few large motors at the next launch.

Did you just paint a Maniac/Eliminator fin can? Looks great!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-27-2006, 08:34 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Your 1340 looks great !
What motor will you be using for the first flight ?

I think I still have a few of the original EconoJet F23's and G38's, the stronger ones before AT changed over to the new case design. I also have a few Ellis long burn G35's with a ten second delay. I'm thinking an F23 for the first flight.
SAM# 0052

Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Steve,

Steve wrote:

> This is the one I remember checking out of the library three decades ago and wishing...

Now you *are* "that EnerJet guy on page 231..."

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tachmentid=1648

However, I'd like to go on record as saying that I think your hair is more evenly distributed than his.

And in my mid-40's, I'll take all the hair I can get! (Well, except for the stuff that grows on my ears, and just all those odd places it never *used* to grow... )

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

Right there with ya Jay, I'll be 45 this year. Just for fun I'm going to bring some black and white film with me to the launch and try to snap a picture to resemble the one in the handbook.
SAM# 0052

Old 01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Steve, do you have the tube lengths for the 1340? I have a spare fin can and the 1340 looks like a good use for it.