Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Nike Vet

Ah, you caught the rivet/transition detail on the wrong side. I noticed that as I was applying the 1st overlay but decided to leave so as not to "mess up" the transition trying to remove the detail. In addition to the parachute "bungee cord" in the kit, there is a short piece of yellow twisted cord. What's that for?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312
Ah, you caught the rivet/transition detail on the wrong side. I noticed that as I was applying the 1st overlay but decided to leave so as not to "mess up" the transition trying to remove the detail. In addition to the parachute "bungee cord" in the kit, there is a short piece of yellow twisted cord. What's that for?

The yellow twisted cord is kevlar and it's part of the shock cord system. It should have been attached to the screw eye in the transition. Unless you've got something long to thread the body tube with, you might as well save the thread.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Nike Vet

OK, I attached one end of the shock cord to the eye screw so, I'll just leave the cord out. What is it's function?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312
OK, I attached one end of the shock cord to the eye screw so, I'll just leave the cord out. What is it's function?

Well, the kevlar is resistant to burning so it provides some burn resistance to your shock cord. It's also higher in strength as compared to the elastic used for shock cords. So, the thought is, use the kevlar inside the body tube and replace the elastic when it wears out. The kevlar should be long enough to clear the body tube so a replacement shock cord can be installed. Some people prefer that the kevlar not clear the BT, so as to reduce the incidence of zippering. Of course, inside the BT makes it slightly harder to change a worn shock cord.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Zeke, since like you said, this was your first high skill level kit you have every right to be proud and absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Heck it's better looking than mine but then...mine has had a rough life...Shut up, Bill!

I"ll have to build another one just for display.

If anyone notices any flaws tell 'em, that's the way the kit was designed!

Blame me!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
If anyone notices any flaws tell 'em, that's the way the kit was designed!

Blame me!

Now, now Gordon.....I always considered flaws to be just a little of my personality showing through

Seriously though Zeke....that's a great looking rocket. 99.9 percent of the people who see it won't notice anything wrong. No one has ever mentioned the fact that my decals are on backwards........duh.....a little of my personality shining through....
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Nike Vet

I appreciate the comments! It'll make it easier to build the 18mm. I'll spend some time reviewing my build steps and proceed slowly on the build. Not that I rushed to build my 24. I love these kits and do like scale real missiles/rockets. And I do like more complex builds. I need to pay more attention to the instructions and pictures.

Heck, Sandman's kits are excellent! Oh by the way writing a review in is it EMMR? I think I will. Some of you may know I built TLP's Nike Ajax and compared to Sandmans, well his Nike Herc was night and day different.

Any suggestions on what tools I should have? I currently have the basic Exacto kit, straight edge, sand paper, Dremel tools, etc. You know, the basic stuff. Just to test myself, I plan to build the 18mm flawless. Well I hope so. Anyhow, thanks again. This board is very helpful!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Nike Vet

An interesting discovery. On the US Army Ordnance web site, a picture showing 2 Nike Hercules on raise launchers clearly show "US Army" logo on all 4 sides of the sustainer. Also note how the logos are positioned! It looks like if I had 2 more "US ARMY" logos positioned as the picture shows, I'd be "in sync" with an actual NH. What do you think?

www.nikeordnance.com/msllchr.htm

Last edited by zeke1312 : 08-14-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

There are more different paint schems, insignia location, insignia types and different stenceling on the Nike Hercules than probably any other operational missile.

That just shows that there is no "wrong' scheme.

Whatevery you do on yours is probably correct prototypically somewhere.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Old-Timer

Cool Ceck Out Jim Ball's Nike Site

For those unfamiliar, Jim Ball has amassed a Great collection of Photos of the Real Nike Family at YellowJacket Systems...

Check out the Nike-Herc shots Here

Good Hunting!
N.A.R. #26298 L1