Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Rocket Dad

On a C6-5

Y-Wing on C6-5

Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Rocket Dad

Little Paratrooper Cargo.

We lost every little guy we put up but one even with a quarter taped to it and a big spill hole....lol

Old 09-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Nicely Done. I love the bright color nose cones. How did you finish the rocket?
NAR #83900
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Rocket Dad

They are unfinished in the pictures. The only thing done to the tubes was the 80/20 glue to water coating I do. We flat ran out of time. I got one painted so far and will work on the others this week and deliver them to their new homes by the weekend. I'll include finished pics once I'm done.

I truely hate the thought of painting one of the two six-tube-finned rockets since it's been stepped on. However, it is still flightworthy and did fly after the failed attempt at a run-catch retrievel. I think I can CA the tube fins to get them pretty close to being where they need to be as well as fixing the indent in the BT as it's just above the motor mount.

It really was alot of fun and the girls had a blast.

I think my boy and I are going to build the Y-wing with an extra length of paper towel tube with a staggered three motor cluster. Should be interesting.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Craftsman

It's a fun way to build. Finishing takes a little more effort, in my opinion, because the tubes fuzz up so badly when they're painted. I tend to prime and sand a lot to get past that. I'm going to try what HDR said he does: coating the outside with some thinned glue.

Attached is some we made at the last build I did with my Scouts. The second is one that was built by a boy who didn't show up to finish it, so the finishing job was done by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0046.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  71.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0064.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  458.1 KB  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Rocket Dad

I would have preferred the girls finish the rockets but, like I said, we ran out of time. They built them between 7pm and 10pm so that shows you how quickly these go togther. I was going to spray base coats after they went to sleep and let them put stickers on in the morning but after already having them for 10hrs....I was spent.....LOL As a result, it's more work for me but all the girls get to pick out the colors and schemes they want to go with.

Your scouts did a great job. There are some creative designs there. I really do like the green and white one though. I'm guessing that was one of the better flyers.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
They are unfinished in the pictures. The only thing done to the tubes was the 80/20 glue to water coating I do. We flat ran out of time. I got one painted so far and will work on the others this week and deliver them to their new homes by the weekend. I'll include finished pics once I'm done. [Snip]

Astrosaint mentions acrylic paint for small children. I may try the acrylics and the Y-Wing would be a good test candidate.

Good idea on the PVA glue coating; sort of a base coat sealer.

Regards,
Mike
NAR #83900
Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Rocket Dad

Not only is it a good base coat to mat down the fuzz, but it does ad some structural rigidity to the tubes as well as help to reshape them after they've been squished in packaging.

I, too, primer first and then hit with sandpaper but the 80/20 coating really cuts down on the raised fuzz. You can really tell the difference on the inside of the Y-Wing tube fins versus the outside of the rocket once painted.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
BAR Apprentice

Ok, so here are some of the school student rockets they made (still a bit of work left to do). These ones are all paper based and this design is based on an adaptation of Paper Tiger by Peter Galindez and Midnight Express by FlisKits - hence the name "Tiger Express". Next we are on to the paper towel tube challenge.

Just having a Blast!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Rocket Dad

Here's two of the four finished. You can't really tell on the Y-wing but the flourescent pink fades into flourescent orange. It looks fairly decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC02795r.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  38.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC02794r.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  36.0 KB