Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 PM
BAR

Default Well, well, well... looky what's up at TRF...

Gee, guess some of us who were predicting this weren't nuts after all...

Here at RocketryForum we strive to provide a friendly and technical oriented community with limited advertising that works towards our hobby and rights.

We have started a Supporting Member program to help fund all the various financial obligations the community incurs; Hosting, Software, Marketing and Legal.

For only $2.99/month, $19.95/year or $100/Lifetime you gain the following benefits to your Membership here at RocketryForum and help support the further growth of our general knowledge base and community.

•Less advertising.
•NO mobile advertising
•Unlimited private message space.
•Unlimited file attachment space.
•Unlimited gallery space.
•Larger Profile Picture dimensions and file size.
•The satisfaction that you are supporting a great community with a great cause.

To sign up please visit;

http://www.rocketryforum.com/payments.php

Note the "LESS advertising"... not "NO advertising"... IOW, bend over and grab your ankles, and while you're down there...

IF it were "NO advertising" I'd think about it, and probably do it. NO WAY am I *paying* for LESS advertising though...

All or nothing or just forget it...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
BP Mafia

I wondered who'd be the first to break this one. First thing I saw over there today when I checked in.
I didn't put any money on Jerry or GH. Sorry guys, nothing personal.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Master Modeler

That's fine, they are free to do as they wish, but here's what I see; if it were important to me to have access to that forum I might help out with expenses for hosting or software costs... but then I have to ask, what marketing and legal costs???

Are they advertising TRF ANYWHERE? Post a link to a site - (other than one they also own)

Perhaps Scott can answer: What legal fees there are in the day to day operations of a forum.

The amount isn't that bad but I just don't see PAYING for the opportunity to: "help support the further growth of our general knowledge base and community." Most of us do that through NAR, our local club and a few have personal websites already. I don't mind doing it for free on any forum... but PAY to help? That is in essence what most of us would be doing. Pass! And for what? Less advertising?

I'm sure some people will be happy to join up, more power to them. I have no clue what Verna will think as she does post there from time to time. Personally, I'm happy here and hope things stay as they are with little trickle down, trickle over, or whatever.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Perhaps Scott can answer: What legal fees there are in the day to day operations of a forum.

None, that's a bunch of BS. Also, unless they're stupid and paying some hosting company WAY too much money, the hosting is negligible as well. It costs me about $85/year for hosting all my sites and my email.

True, there is a cost for vBulletin. But you don't HAVE to be upgrading all the time. Mine is from 2005/2006 and is still working fine for the most part for what we do here.

The ONLY reason they've put all the advertising crap on their site and now charging membership fees is to make money.

I do this out of my own pocket because I want to pay forward and it's a hobby. I'm not in it to make a buck or to commercialize the site.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Getting More and More Like Pay TV

Just like pay TV you pay to watch commercials. Blackmail you into the Premium services, but still have to put up with commercials.

Yahoo!

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
None, that's a bunch of BS. Also, unless they're stupid and paying some hosting company WAY too much money, the hosting is negligible as well. It costs me about $85/year for hosting all my sites and my email.

True, there is a cost for vBulletin. But you don't HAVE to be upgrading all the time. Mine is from 2005/2006 and is still working fine for the most part for what we do here.

The ONLY reason they've put all the advertising crap on their site and now charging membership fees is to make money.

I do this out of my own pocket because I want to pay forward and it's a hobby. I'm not in it to make a buck or to commercialize the site.

AWESOME! Thank you!

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

>The ONLY reason they've put all the advertising crap on their site and now charging membership fees is to make money.

Thanks, I figured as much, it all sounded like a load of B.S. to me too. I just wanted someone that actually knows to confirm it. I'm much more inclined to help anyone that is straight forward.

When I was a contractor I used to run into guys at the on ramp with signs that said "work for food" but I never had one of them who would get in my truck and come to actually work. They just wanted money for alcohol and I never gave them anything, until early one morning there was a guy that had a sign that said "Need money for beer." I asked him how much he needed and he said just $5 for a 6 pack. I handed him a $10 and said get two. He smiled, took it and headed off down to the State store about a block away. Why did I do that? Because in 22 years of contracting he was the first honest bum I ever met. That was 1996, been looking for another one ever since.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
AWESOME! Thank you!

Mike

Yep! Thanks!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Excellent.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That king-turd of rocketry websites is once again proving what a gigantic POS it really is. No shock to me.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !