Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 AM
Master Modeler

Default MicroMaxx inquiry...

Hello All,

I have a question about the Quest Aerospace RTF (Ready-To-Fly) rockets. Which one(s) is/are the most aerodynamically stable and reliable (not popping apart at ejection)? I *think* the Raw Fusion and Vector 1 rockets (with different liveries, they are called Critical Mass and No Mercy, respectively), which are normal-looking three-finned rockets, are the most stable, but I've read references about them popping apart at ejection. Also:

The Space Fighter (from the "Alien Invasion" MicroMaxx Starter Set [the Space Fighter and the Alien UFO flying saucer were also sold as a rockets-only set]) also looks like it could be aerodynamically stable and sufficiently strong. Is it? (The Saturn V, Tomahawk Cruise Missile, and Space Shuttle appear to be unstable when flown "stock," based on reports I've read about them [I don't know about the MicroMaxx Little Joe II and SR-71 Blackbird].) In addition:

The reason why I'm asking is because last month I had a supply of (European-sourced) MicroMaxx motors, a MicroMaxx launch pad & controller, and several Aerospace Speciality Products and FlisKits MicroMaxx rocket kits sent to Keith Sanders, a British expatriate friend of mine who lives in France. (He must be one of the oldest *new* model rocketeers, having started flying 18 mm motor powered model rockets last year, at age 71!) Now:

The ASP and FlisKits MicroMaxx rocket kits require some rather special glues and/or small tools, and in order to help him familiarize himself with MicroMaxx rocket pre-flight preparation methods and flight characteristics, I will send him one or more RTF MicroMaxx rockets to try out before he tackles the kits. I'll send him the best (or the least unsatisfactory) RTF MicroMaxx rockets. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR