Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

New China offering: Leviathon, Pro Series II launch pad both new in bag plus "many extras." $24.24 with free shipping.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Sorry if I am restating the obvious. I have been off site for a while and have not been following this thread. I just wanted to be sure that everyone knows at this point that all those "ships from China" bargains are bogus. I know you guys are all pretty young and inexperienced but you can never be too sure...

Sorry again if I am restating the obvious.

I hate rules.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM
7/21/61

As soon as you see one of these listings please hit the "Report Item" button and denote the item as fraudulent. Ebay is clearly paying attention as most of these get pulled down within an hour or so after reporting them.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Yup, been doing that.

No surprise that eBay is trying to get them taken down. It is costing them for refunds under the buyer protection program.

I hate rules.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM
7/21/61

Yes, the speed with which ebay is taking these down is really surprising. In general, ebay and Paypal's "buyer protection" scheme is pretty lame, and slow. That's why I try to buy any items via Paypal using a credit card.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

I am probably saying something everyone already knows, but ...

Even if the listing isn't an obvious fraud, there is still a greater risk ordering from a seller in China. If you have a problem with an item, eBay may ask you to return it. Postage to send an item to China is far greater than what it costs for them to send to us. If you are required to cover the cost of the return shipping, it probably won't be worth returning. Also, if you do return something, it will never arrive. So, eBay will close the case in favor of the seller. And, of course, standards for products not intended for the US are lower and fake items are common. I bought a USB power adapter from China a while back that burst into flames. And a cheap charger for my quadcopter's battery quit after just a few uses.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

I was in on the sealed Avenger that sold last night up to about $70. Ended up selling for $104. Great kit, but seems a lot for such an easy clone.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
I was in on the sealed Avenger that sold last night up to about $70. Ended up selling for $104. Great kit, but seems a lot for such an easy clone.

I guess if you can afford to be a die hard collector, anything is fare game.
Even though I am almost a die hard collector, I keep in mind that I will be leaving it behind someday. Most likely, my boy's who will probably sell off all my rocket stuff will get fare market price for it someday. So I limit myself to that in mind, guessing what it might be worth then vs what if a re-release happens.
I'll go into it and just put my proxy down what I want to spend. If I get out bid I will re-evaluate the desire to have it vs the desire to spend more. Typically, if one more buck will snipe it, all is good. If not, there will be other chances.
Just last week I saw an SR-71 go for 35 bucks on one bid, while at the same time another one had 2 on a bidding war and ended up going for over 70 bucks. Both fools, they should have searched for others that were available.
No, I don't pretend to understand why people do some things. But I try and keep people from wondering why I do stupid stuff.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
I guess if you can afford to be a die hard collector, anything is fare game.
Even though I am almost a die hard collector, I keep in mind that I will be leaving it behind someday. Most likely, my boy's who will probably sell off all my rocket stuff will get fare market price for it someday. So I limit myself to that in mind, guessing what it might be worth then vs what if a re-release happens.
I'll go into it and just put my proxy down what I want to spend. If I get out bid I will re-evaluate the desire to have it vs the desire to spend more. Typically, if one more buck will snipe it, all is good. If not, there will be other chances.
Just last week I saw an SR-71 go for 35 bucks on one bid, while at the same time another one had 2 on a bidding war and ended up going for over 70 bucks. Both fools, they should have searched for others that were available.
No, I don't pretend to understand why people do some things. But I try and keep people from wondering why I do stupid stuff.

I mainly clone, but I do have a few classic kits still sealed. I wouldn't count on our kids or grandchildren selling the stuff off for much money unless it happens in the near future. When we are gone, pretty much all the folks that care anything about the golden age of rocketry will be gone and there won't be any demand. What we see getting purchased for hundreds of dollars will be nearly worthless 20 years from now.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I mainly clone, but I do have a few classic kits still sealed. I wouldn't count on our kids or grandchildren selling the stuff off for much money unless it happens in the near future. When we are gone, pretty much all the folks that care anything about the golden age of rocketry will be gone and there won't be any demand. What we see getting purchased for hundreds of dollars will be nearly worthless 20 years from now.

EXACTLY!!!

Later! OL J R