Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM
BP Mafia

Default Humidity in January?

I was doing some work on my Estes Optima and Centuri USS America clones today. Glue work on both, attaching the dorsal fins on the Optima and the engine mount on the USS America. Both were glued right around lunchtime, so I would be able to do more while I was watching the playoff games. Around halftime of the AFC game, I pulled on the Kevlar in the USS America to get it out of the way so I could put glue around the forward centering ring. The whole structure pulled through the tube. (White flue, so I got it back in place easily.) The dorsal fin on the Optima was also still wiggly when I checked. Turns out the ice storm from Friday ran into some warm air today and all morning we were in melt mode, which then turned to ground fog. I guess white glue might have been a bad choice today. I'll get back to building on Tuesday.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Humidity in January?
It's probably the opposite. In my experience, yellow glue sets much faster on those warm, humid days than it does in the cold, dry air of January.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
It's probably the opposite. In my experience, yellow glue sets much faster on those warm, humid days than it does in the cold, dry air of January.

Doug

That would have been fine with me. At least it sets.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Dazed and Confused

I don't know about Bill, but we have a boatload of moisture here. I'm watching the football game on tv and following the tornado sighting to the SW of Memphis on the net. I will be heading in to the fire station when the line gets within a county or so of us to get ready for the upcoming mess. Some baseball size hail has been reported, 60 mph winds with even stronger gusts, and that tornado that looked pretty big when backlit by the lightning....makes for a fun evening.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I don't know about Bill, but we have a boatload of moisture here. I'm watching the football game on tv and following the tornado sighting to the SW of Memphis on the net. I will be heading in to the fire station when the line gets within a county or so of us to get ready for the upcoming mess. Some baseball size hail has been reported, 60 mph winds with even stronger gusts, and that tornado that looked pretty big when backlit by the lightning....makes for a fun evening.

Saw that line on TWC earlier. Six tornadoes already reported, don't know how tightly they were wound together...

Stay safe, Tim.

Temps are hovering in the mid 70s down here in Mobile; we've had rain, but nothing I would call major. Had to use some rattle-can Rustoleum yellow yesterday on my mailbox; stayed sticky longer than I thought it should, but I think it "cured" enough before the rails came.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
BP Mafia

Moisture is all we've had here. When I was in high school we moved on a January day just like today, (but 34 years ago,) I got home from school in time to load the last truck full, then rode down to the new house sitting on the side of an open bed pickup. By the time we made the drive, a trip of 2 +/- miles, I looked like I'd just come out of the shower.
Two days later it started snowing and my high school was closed the rest of January. I think it was June 26 when we finally got out that year.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

We now have a tornado warning one county over. I guess it's time to head to the station and get ready to hopefully only clear a few trees out of the roads. Ya'll have a good evening!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
We now have a tornado warning one county over. I guess it's time to head to the station and get ready to hopefully only clear a few trees out of the roads. Ya'll have a good evening!

Awfully early for that kind of weather pattern. (Heavy sigh.) I hate snow, but I hate tornados, too.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

We (TN and the rest of Dixie Alley) have two tornado seasons. Spring is the one everybody thinks about, but we have a smaller one centered around December. Our town's last tornado fatality was a December tornado. We were searching for her body and a second funnel cloud passed over the top of us, but luckily never touched down. Last night's weather was just a little mixed up and couldn't decide if it wanted to be a December or April tornado. IIRC, it was about this same time 10-15 years ago that a tornado hit downtown Clarksville, TN (home of the 101st Airborne) dead center.

As for my town, we lucked out. The cells weakened just before they hit us. We had high straight winds, but no major damage that I know of. We didn't have to crank a single saw! I guess the storms of the last couple of years have cleared out most of the weak root systems and tree limbs.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 PM
BP Mafia

After 36 hours I ended up pulling the whole thing out, wiping up the glue, and ordering new rings from Semroc. The old rings were absolutely sodden and showed no sign of drying. I set the engine mount on end and left it alone for a couple of days, and it eventually dried. Never had this happen before and hopefully there won't be another occurrence.

I miss being SAM 0058