Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Yes, the Pitsco rockets are crap.

I drove to San Diego and bought 400 of them for our club through an online school surplus auction site.

The version I got is the one with an actual body tube. I have also seen the 'roo your own' tube version at the Columbia Science Center and was even more dissapointed in it (and in the competecny of the science center staff for selecting such a POS).

The one's I got had no instructions and did have the Estes A8-3 motor attached in a tiny bag. I figured out what needed to be done to make them work and our club president whipped up excellent written isntructions for them. We replaced the shock cord and provided a normal shock cord anchor (any style of "normal" will work). Also, you do need to use needle nose plyers to install the tiny screw eye. AND you have to wrap the outside of the centering rings with paper to get them to fit properly.

See the attached instructions. We named it in a club committee meeting at Jack-In-The-Box based upon the Big Bertha-ish fin profile.

Yes, those are nice instructions. You should consider sending them to Pitsco...........I think they are still selling that kit.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I'm pretty sure they sell the instructions separately. I haven't tried that, but there is always tomorrow . . . .

http://www.pitsco.com/Rocketry_and_...Rocket_Kit_Book
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Launching since 1970.

You cannot send instructions that tell a company that their product is crap and that anyone who buys it should throw away parts of the kit and go buy other parts (and the source of those parts is not given in the instructions).

It is much easier to tell all teachers and youth group leaders that you might run into to buy something better. BUT some schools and science centers will buy other products from Pitsco, so they just go ahead and buy the crappy product offered and have no idea why their rocketry program is inferior (rockets falling apart when launched or at ejection....unhappy students who then consider model rockets "junk"....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Yes, those are nice instructions. You should consider sending them to Pitsco...........I think they are still selling that kit.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Master Modeler

Thank's Bill.

That was great.

What else do you have?