Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
All I use is the 110 from Wally-World.

That's all I use as well. I like the GP from Wally World because it is slicker and brighter than any of the others.

I've never had any trouble with using it. Of course, I always build all my cardstock birds with one layer only - some of the 65# designs actually use two layers of cardstock. But I've never seen the need to go double even with 65# card (a lot of the colored cardstock out there is 65# - and I have used that for some contest birds). The tubes have always been plenty strong with one layer, and my fins (which are two layers of card with a piece of cardboard sandwiched in the middle) hold up fine as well. Honestly, if I do build a model with two layers, I usually print it on 110# card and cut one layer off (the inside layer, usually). I might have to make the centering rings a bit larger, but if you cut just outside the line you can usually make up the difference.

Greg
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I figured the little BT-5 sized and smaller tubes would be hard to roll without getting creases using 110. I guess I can give it a shot.

I don't usually have any trouble. Use a soft mousepad and a 1/4" dowel to roll a curve into the card before forming the tube. Also, make sure the tube is aligned with the grain of the card - if the tube runs horizontally across the page, it will crease because you are fighting the grain. If the tube runs up and down on the sheet, it should roll without any creasing. Oh, and in lieu of a soft mousepad, rolling the tube on your thigh works well too (brings to mind the old bit about Cuban Cigars being rolled on the thighs of teenaged virgins... but I ain't goin' there! )

Greg
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
When I do paper wraps for body tubes and fins, I go for any brand of 32# semi-gloss finish presentation paper.

All I've found so far for inkjets is HP Q5449A 32# matte finish and Epson S041062 27# matte finish, both are coated on both sides. No joy on semi-gloss.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
All I've found so far for inkjets is HP Q5449A 32# matte finish and Epson S041062 27# matte finish, both are coated on both sides. No joy on semi-gloss.

The matte finish will work, you just might want to give it a coat of clear coat after applying it to the tube (not a bad idea since inkjet inks can run if the get wet, and rockets do tend to land in damp grass occasionally). I'd go with the 32# HP just because it will be a bit thicker and more opaque - and the wraps I've done are all intended to be printed on that weight paper so should fit around the BT better. Doesn't matter whether it is matte or semi-gloss - you'll be astonished just how much brighter and smoother the image is on presentation paper rather than regular computer paper. Almost as good as photo paper. I usually glue it to the tube with white glue applied in a VERY thin coat. I usually don't apply to the whole wrap at once, but just to a strip along one edge (or on the BT next to a line drawn the length of the tube). Then, I'll apply the rest so it doesn't dry before it is completely tacked down.

Hey - this process still beats painting and decalling the rocket!

Greg
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Most of the cardstock models I've looked at require 65# cardstock. I can't find it locally. I looked on Staples, OfficeMax, and OfficeDepot websites and they only offer Wausau, which you guys have ranked dead last.

Is there an economical online source for GP or Hammermill or do I need to forget about 65# paper?

Walmart has it. Look for the house branded stuff called '@ the office'. It should be right where the #110 stock is and also the rest of the papers.

BTW, I use the 65# stuff exclusively, but does the 110 stock weigh more? I'd like to use the lightest cardstock variant I can, but a bit more than just plain paper. A single wrapped paper tube makes a shaky BT-80....