Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Master Modeler

Default Ok, a question for the "green" and "not-green" crowds

I've been invited to participate in a venture that promotes green energy. But I'm unsure. My first reactions to the venture
were not positive, but after some thought and additional research, I can see where it would be useful and profitable.

In short, it has to do with green energy certificates, remotely similar to the old "cap and trade" scheme that Congress was trying to
push through a few years ago. But instead of being funded by taxpayer dollars, this one is completely voluntary.

Here's the gist... for $20 you purchase a Renewable Energy Certificate that guarantees 1000kWh of wind energy has been
produced and placed into the national electricity grid. This certificate helps to fund wind energy companies. Every month
you purchase another certificate and that money goes to a program (I think through the EPA) that help fund the wind farms.
I know the EPA is a monster to many here, including me. But instead of taking forcing taxpayers to fund these programs,
regular people pay into the program voluntarily buy buying these certificates.

In the past, when a person signed up for a Green and Clean Energy program (available in PA and MD at least), part of their payment
of their energy bill went to purchase these RECs. Now, everyone can purchase them. Corporations have been purchasing them
since the 1990s.

There's more to it than this, and I didn't even get into the part where you can make money on it yet.

What I want is to get other people's opinions on the program. Please let's not devolve into a political discussion or global warming
nonsense. While I'm not completely sold on this, if we can reduce our dependence on foreign (and even domestic) oil by making wind
energy viable, then it's something worthwhile. And if it can be funded through voluntary contributions from the public rather than
routing our tax dollars to it, then even better.

There is a video that describes the program and also an audio Q&A with one of the program's founders if you want more information
before making a comment. Just let me know and I'll PM the URLs to you.

Thanks, and let's try to be civil. I want thoughtful opinions, not bluster and invective.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Master Modeler

Every form of power production involves subsidies and tax breaks from the government. New methods are going to need proportionally more until economies of scale and learning economies kick in.

I don't know enough about the particular deal you're involved in to comment. I suppose it depends in part on the parties involved.

I voluntarily pay a little extra on my electrical bill to support the development of wind farms. These are starting to produce a substantial amount of electricity in the Pacific NW, to the point where the operators have to idle turbines when peak production corresponds with low demand or when the dams are producing well.

I'd like to see a really robust inter-regional grid put up, so that there's a better chance of matching over-supply and demand.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

They have been putting up windmills here in Central Illinois like there is no tomorrow. Other than that, I couldn't say about your program.
__________________________________________________ __________________
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Old BAR

No!

Allen
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I don't know enough about the particular deal you're involved in to comment. I suppose it depends in part on the parties involved.

The primary company involved is Stream Energy. They are a company based in Dallas that's been selling electricity in Texas since 2005.
In recent years they have expanded into other deregulated states (GA, MD, PA, NJ) and are doing quite well. They operate their current
electric and natural gas sales using Network Marketing (similar to the way Amway and other companies operate). The are pretty close
to $1B in sales the last I heard. I'm still learning about this opportunity and I'm pretty close to signing up.

Here are the two URLs in case anyone wants to look and give me some more informed opinions:

Initial Presentation

Q&A with Presley Swagerty (The Coach)
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 PM
BAR

I dunno... I believe I'd find a more secure investment if it were me...

I know a LOT of farmers that got suckered into investing in ethanol plants and farm co-ops that lost a LOT of money when things hit a downturn or when the companies dissolved or were sold off or bought out by big fish...

These "trading schemes" all seem pretty fishy to me anyway... looks like just another way for speculators and do-nothings to make a ton more money off businesses and folks actually trying to get stuff done... though the "voluntary" aspect is certainly more appealing than the "forced" trading schemes... Problem is, things that start out "voluntary" have ways and usually end up being "mandatory" in the end...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Old BAR

Dale,
It's a scam. One way or the other, your money will be used to line others' pockets. Wind energy is not the answer to our energy issues, any more than things with batteries are. You need unbiased reports on the actual machines themselves to see they don't work as advertised, necessarily.
And don't believe that your meter will run backwards, either. That is just BS.
The blight on the landscape is a major concern, also. Just ask folks that end up living with them.
Do your 'due diligence.' I would hate to see you waste good money that you could have put under your mattress and gotten a better return.

Allen
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Just say NO.
ANYTHING that pumps money into anything to do with the stinkin' EPA helps to perpetuate their existence.
#1 useless to business, both small AND large, NUISANCE gubmint agency.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Almost shovel ready

I also don't know enough to comment, but that has never stopped me before. I'm always skeptical of "boy have I got a deal for you!" schemes. Here's an example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ATT1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  45.3 KB  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

There are stocks, there are business firms and there are concepts. They are each totally different animals and should be analyzed independently.

You can own stock in a company without working for it, you can work for it without owning stock, you can invent a concept without owning stock or working for it.

Or you can do none of the above.

My advise is to invest as little unrecoverable capital, human or financial, as possible while getting a lottery ticket in case it is the next Enron (before the scandal).

BTW the EPA is the same kind of regulator as the ATF, arbitrary and capricious and subject to political whim.

Jerry