Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Scout build

I am now starting on a vintage Estes Scout........well from the 79 era. I may not add the gauze to the fins, but will add it to the wire.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I am now starting on a vintage Estes Scout........well from the 79 era. I may not add the gauze to the fins, but will add it to the wire.

Which wire?

For the fins, I prefer to honor the intent of the gauze and reinforce the roots, but use more modern materials such as a little glass cloth and epoxy. The nice thing about this is that it won't shrink and lift in the groove versus yellow glue.

As for the wires, for the motor hook, again, I prefer to modernize with a strip of glass cloth instead of gauze. Not only is this more durable, it's easier to finish - gauze/yellow glue doesn't sand nearly as easily (in either case, I top with FNF).

If you're talking about the motor retaining wire, I skipped that. These things are prone to breaking anyway. Instead, I carefully add just enough masking (friction) tape to the motor to keep it from sliding aft too easily.

Also, it's not a bad idea to enlarge the vent hole. This will help prevent nuclear / shotgun ejection charges from blowing the bird to smithereens

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Sometimes collector

If I were you I would add the gauze, it's neat to build it just like the first originals were.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:

First rocket I ever saw flown.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I may not add the gauze to the fins, but will add it to the wire.

No, come on now Mr. "just like the instructions"... I believe it was you who I tried to get to use springs instead of rubber bands in the Mars Lander and you said "no". Don't change your tune now!

NAR #32070
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

Yep, I decided to build per the plans and use the gauze, should be fun trying to get a smooth finish. I could not live with myself if I did not use the 1979 parts........Will post pictures soon.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Yep, I decided to build per the plans and use the gauze, should be fun trying to get a smooth finish. I could not live with myself if I did not use the 1979 parts........Will post pictures soon.

Thats the Scigs I know! That was my sixth or seventh rocket back in 79... I used the gauze... It kinda looked like butt. If I had some fill n finish back then it would have been a different story!

NAR #32070
Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Sometimes collector

Let it show-I think it adds to the nostalgia.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Master Modeler

Default Dot Thingy?

scigs30,

What is the white dot thingy below the body tube?

I have some original parts to clone this bird except the dot thingy.

Daniel
Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Master Modeler

The white disk holds the small wire to the gauze for packaging so it doesn't get lost. It is not used during the construction. I have the Scout built and the gauze applied. I also smoothed in one coat of white glue into the gauze and one more coat to go. Definitely makes the fins nice and strong. I doubt after a coat or 2 of primer, you will be able to see the gauze. I also have to apply 3 coats of balsa sealer.