Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Old Submariner

Default QCC Explorer Intake Technique

I needed to reach my quota for swear words for this week, so I began my Estes QCC Explorer. Aye, Carumba! The intakes are a real bee-yoch, so to help hold the shape of each intake core assembly while I apply the CA I used small, very weak rubber bands.

I hope I'm not the first one to think of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2079.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  65.0 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Old Submariner

Next, I use a piece of angled aluminum as a fence to register the intake subassembly against while contour sanding the root edges to fit the BT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2093.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  49.5 KB  

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Old Fart Rocketeer

Default Re: QCC Explorer Intake Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I needed to reach my quota for swear words for this week, so I began my Estes QCC Explorer. Aye, Carumba! The intakes are a real bee-yoch, so to help hold the shape of each intake core assembly while I apply the CA I used small, very weak rubber bands.

I hope I'm not the first one to think of this.

...and ...

Next, I use a piece of angled aluminum as a fence to register the intake subassembly against while contour sanding the root edges to fit the BT.

I used both of the above techniques when building my QCC. I made a couple of other changes as well. First I switched to a Quest-style Kevlar and elastic shock line (attached to the motor mount assembly). Second, I replaced the TC-60 with a Semroc or BMS (not sure which) NB-60 and screw eye - never waste a chance for a payload section!!

I had quite a number of problems with my first intake. I even damaged the rear of the intake and had to use a fair amount of HobbyFiller Lite to patch it up. The second intake and on, things went much smoother. Using small rubber bands to hold all the parts together while applying CA or yellow glue (to every inside surface) I could reach really helped.

One last thing I did was to copy the fin and intake alignment diagram onto heavy cardstock. Then I cut out the diagram and ended up with a great final alignment jig.

I have to say I am really impressed with this kit. It's something you actually BUILD, without all the frustrations of having to cut out balsa parts. The instructions pretty much sucked (diagrams with very little explanatory text) but all in all this is a great kit. I recommend it to any modeler ready to tackle a clustered and staged rocket.

Avid rocketeer since 1967.
NAR 13559 / L2
Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Master Modeler

I hope your build goes smoother now that you come up with a personal way of assembling them.

There are two ways to easily build these intakes easily. This first way I've never done, since I am always in too big of a hurry to get my models done, but I know it will work. Use carpenters glue. Apply glue to all the joints for the front section of the intake as you have in the picture. I would also add the top front piece so you know have a box. Use small pieces of tape to hold the thing together until it dried. I would set the assembly down on a flat surface with a small weight on top of it. The bottom of the front intake has those two pieces that bend together to form a point. I would tack glue these together with thin CA just at the tip. Use Carpenters glue in the inside of all the bottom exposed areas. The rear of the intake can now be assembled with carpenters glue and tape just like the front portion of the intake.

If the above doesn't make sense get a new bottle of thin CA glue. Install an applicator extension tip on it since you want very small amounts of glue to come out.. Follow the instruction and simply apply a drop at a time to the corners where all the pieces come together. You can go over the long joints after it is tacked together. I glue the top of the intake in place with medium CA. After you’ve built the first intake it only takes at most five minutes to assemble each of the rest. The only problem I have is getting my fingers stuck to the parts using the thin CA. Nothing like taking a razor blade between you skin and balsa to get yourself separated from the part. Oh the joys of building.

I will have one built intake with me at NARAM just in case you want to see up close what the assembly looks like.

When you want to start over on your quota of swear words. Please try building the new Estes Asteroid Hunter Model that will be flown at NARAM. 53. It’s a new Sci Fi model that I shown a small portion of in a different thread. It’s not hard to build, “skill level 5” just completely different then what most model rocket builders are used to.

John Boren
Estes R&D
Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Old Submariner

Thanks for the added tips. Yes, the QCC is truly a builder's kit. Very refreshing! It's probably the hardest build I've done since the 1/30 Neubauer Mercury Little Joe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0993.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  140.2 KB  

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Old Fart Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
If the above doesn't make sense get a new bottle of thin CA glue. Install an applicator extension tip on it since you want very small amounts of glue to come out.. Follow the instruction and simply apply a drop at a time to the corners where all the pieces come together. You can go over the long joints after it is tacked together. I glue the top of the intake in place with medium CA. After you’ve built the first intake it only takes at most five minutes to assemble each of the rest. The only problem I have is getting my fingers stuck to the parts using the thin CA. Nothing like taking a razor blade between you skin and balsa to get yourself separated from the part. Oh the joys of building.

That is pretty much how I built the final three intakes. I used rubber bands to hold the initial assembly togther after Step 7. However, I used a fresh bottle of medium CA with an applicator tip for tacking parts together. Medium CA has the advantage that is stays where you place the small drops - no more tacking your fingers to the balsa! I used yellow glue for the top pieces and all long joints. Finally, small rubber bands were used to hold everything in place after Step 15.

You are correct in that each intake assembly seems to get easier to build and go faster than its predecessor. I never got it down to 5 minutes, but the 4th intake took me less than 10 minutes for all 15 assembly steps and the final sanding.

Avid rocketeer since 1967.
NAR 13559 / L2
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
When you want to start over on your quota of swear words. Please try building the new Estes Asteroid Hunter Model that will be flown at NARAM. 53. It’s a new Sci Fi model that I shown a small portion of in a different thread. It’s not hard to build, “skill level 5” just completely different then what most model rocket builders are used to.
John Boren
Estes R&D

John, intersting, I searched "Asteroid Hunter" in the vendor forum and came up with zippo. Can you provide a link?

Thanks, Chris
Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I searched "Asteroid Hunter" in the vendor forum and came up with zippo. Can you provide a link?

I didn't give a name before, just a little peak, and I do mean little.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/attac...achmentid=25505

John Born
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Old Submariner

OK, I'm back from my job in the Outer Banks of NC (sometimes I get lucky) and I'm back to the QCC Explorer. The 4 fin/intake assy's are registered and mounted to the BT.

....now for a few hours of sanding and filletting......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2110.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  64.3 KB  

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Old Submariner

Default The worst is over.

I've applied 4 coats of sanding sealer to the lumber and sanded with 320 and finally with 400 and now the first of many coats of primer is on.

The primer is sandable, and I'll use 600 and steel wool on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2124.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  58.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2125.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  50.3 KB  

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078