Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Talking

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
This is the "Flying Foam Shuttle Orbiter of Death". It has started more fires on launch sites than any other rocket kit I have ever seen or heard of.

DO NOT FLY IT and if you store it in a closet, be sure to securely place a warning sign on the box so that if you pass away you do not have any family members who make the mistake of thinking that the rocket they found in your closet is safe to fly.

IT IS NOT SAFE.

It arcs over after leaving the rod and either ejects just above the ground if it flies horzontally (setting any grass or brush on fire or impacting into/through innocent children's eyes/brain) or it impacts the ground before the ejection charge goes off (same bad things mentioned above).

I have seen it work OK only a very few times and it is not consistant from flight to flight.

Nothing fixes it. Different motors do nothing (C6-3, C5-3, RMS D....). The alleged spin on boost is not consistant and if it starts late, it has already arced over and is flying horizontal just above the ground.

These sets are a menace and should be destroyed for the good of the Hobby.

I am not joking and I am 100% serious.

Fred,

Do you think the new Quest D5 would make any difference? What about adding an extra washer or two on the motor pod in order to move the CG forward and get better stability?

I have flown the bird and I never had the issues you spoke of, but I did manage to take out a baseball stadium light with the last flight!

Robert
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhealey
Fred,

Thanks for your reply!

I am very surprised you say this. The reason I am hunting for an EST 1467 is that I had lots of fun with mine and it flew very well ( I admit it was the first and last rocket I have purchased). No problems with launch. For an amateur it's trajectory under power seemed great (i.e. near as **** it to absolutely vertical), the motor always ejected properly and it the shuttle’s flight to earth was always good. I flew it probably 20 - 30 times till the last flight when it struck a tree branch and damaged it’s wing, at which point I thought it was due for retirement.

If I could think of a way of repairing the missing 1inch square piece of polystyrene I would, but I can’t think of a way that would not upset it’s balance and therefore it’s flight characteristics.

If you can suggest an alternative model, I’d really like to hear from you. Personally I very much like the shuttle for a rocket design and the EST 1467 wasn’t exactly testing to put together (a bonus!), though something a little more challenging wouldn’t be a problem as long as it wasn’t the complexity of some of the alternatives I have seen. I don’t really want to fabricate the whole shuttle (only for it to smash to smithereens on first launch!).

In the meantime, I’ll keep my 1467 safely under lock and key

Much appreciate it. Thanks, Richard

Richard,

If no one has suggested, I will submit the following:

Guillows makes a foam shuttle for ~ $3.00 and their now OOP Balsa build up shuttle. Just do a search on ebay... these are sometimes sold by the case.

The $3.00 foamy is 10" in span and would make a great conversion project. You could even make a full stack for it.

The now OOP Balsa/Plastic/Tissue kit can be found on ebay from time to time. The price is typically $15 - $20 and spikes to over $100 every time a shuttle is lost. You could also build a full stack for this kit.

With micro R/C gear you could convert both kits to R/C.

Good luck,

Robert
Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Hooked Badly

Another launch, another successful flight from the Foam Brick of Death.

No fires, no deaths to report.

The orbiter glided back to within 10 ft of the landed pod, again. Sweet!

Sadly I forgot to shift the rod back to vertical when the wind suddenly died down so it wasn't a very high flight. I also had a problem with the motor mount but it's fixable.

I don't know what else to tell you. I didn't get my shipment of D13's last week in time for the launch so check back next month.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhealey
Fred,

Thanks for your reply!

I am very surprised you say this. The reason I am hunting for an EST 1467 is that I had lots of fun with mine and it flew very well ( I admit it was the first and last rocket I have purchased). No problems with launch. For an amateur it's trajectory under power seemed great (i.e. near as **** it to absolutely vertical), the motor always ejected properly and it the shuttle’s flight to earth was always good. I flew it probably 20 - 30 times till the last flight when it struck a tree branch and damaged it’s wing, at which point I thought it was due for retirement.

If I could think of a way of repairing the missing 1inch square piece of polystyrene I would, but I can’t think of a way that would not upset it’s balance and therefore it’s flight characteristics.

If you can suggest an alternative model, I’d really like to hear from you. Personally I very much like the shuttle for a rocket design and the EST 1467 wasn’t exactly testing to put together (a bonus!), though something a little more challenging wouldn’t be a problem as long as it wasn’t the complexity of some of the alternatives I have seen. I don’t really want to fabricate the whole shuttle (only for it to smash to smithereens on first launch!).

In the meantime, I’ll keep my 1467 safely under lock and key

Much appreciate it. Thanks, Richard
Richard, thank you for posting your consistently positive flight experiences with your Estes EST 1467 foam Space Shuttle (and I thank both of you, too, Mikus and lurker 01)! I had one as well (it never crashed--I left it [and many other things] at my old house when I moved to my apartment building in 2007 for health-related financial reasons), and it always boosted straight and glided beautifully, when flown on C6-3 as well as C5-3 motors. I knew that I *couldn't* be the -only- person who'd had wholly positive flight experiences with this model, and I'm happy to have discovered all of your positive accounts of your foam Space Shuttles' flight characteristics. Also, Richard (regarding your search for an alternative foam Space Shuttle glider, to take over from your retired Estes one):

Guillow makes a very similar one (please see the links in postings #1 and #4 *here*: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...5681#post205681 [the Guillow foam Space Shuttle gliders are also available cheap on ebay www.ebay.com ]).

I hope this information will be helpful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 04-08-2016 at 04:59 AM.