Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Master Modeler

Default NASA facility in New Orleans damaged by tornado

NASA facility in New Orleans damaged by tornado.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...369a_video.html
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 AM
TRFugee

That was a severe storm that hit the Gulf Coast yesterday.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
NASA facility in New Orleans damaged by tornado.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...369a_video.html
If I'm not mistaken, one of the 2 (or 3?) remaining (unused) Sat-V first stage boosters is there at Michoud.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
If I'm not mistaken, one of the 2 (or 3?) remaining (unused) Sat-V first stage boosters is there at Michoud.

Doug

There was one remaining unused S-IC, but it was moved up to the new Stennis Space Center visitor center out on I-10 near the Mississippi/Louisiana state line... I got some pics of it when we visited there last year...

It's in very poor looking shape and desperately needs a refurbishment...

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1771.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  1.05 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1769.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  1.01 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1647.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  1.05 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCF1646.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  1.01 MB  
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
There was one remaining unused S-IC, but it was moved up to the new Stennis Space Center visitor center out on I-10 near the Mississippi/Louisiana state line... I got some pics of it when we visited there last year...

It's in very poor looking shape and desperately needs a refurbishment...

Later! OL J R
Thanks for posting the pics.

Of the three cancelled Apollo missions (18-20), I know they used one rocket for Skylab which would leave 2 unused S-IC's. I know the three Sat-V's on display (Houston, Huntsville and the Cape) are each pieced together, but I was thinking one of them also had a genuine unused S-IC (while the other two used test S-IC's not intended for flight).

But it's been a while since I studied up on it

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Well, one historic and very large piece of launch vehicle hardware was totally destroyed at Michoud.

The first Space Shuttle ET, which was used for vibration testing and was stacked with Columbia at MSFC and later at KSC. See my post in the Enterprise at Vendenberg thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...96&postcount=20

I saw that ET in person during a couple of Open Houses at MSFC in 1978.

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 02-08-2017, 09:04 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Thanks for posting the pics.

Of the three cancelled Apollo missions (18-20), I know they used one rocket for Skylab which would leave 2 unused S-IC's. I know the three Sat-V's on display (Houston, Huntsville and the Cape) are each pieced together, but I was thinking one of them also had a genuine unused S-IC (while the other two used test S-IC's not intended for flight).

But it's been a while since I studied up on it

Doug

The one that's at Stennis sat in front of Michoud Assembly Facility for decades... it was the last S-IC completed.

I've seen something listing all the Saturns on display (IB's and V's) and their component stages, as well as the stages used on various flights. The S-IC-15 was the last one completed, but by then the missions to use them were canceled, and there was no need for it. It was never sent for testing at Stennis (all S-IC's were test fired at Stennis IIRC) and then on to KSC via barge. It sat in 'storage' at Michoud until it was clear that it wasn't going to be needed, and then it was moved out to the gates as a display... Until a couple years ago it was moved up to the new visitor center outside the Stennis property by the freeway.

I know I looked it up a few years ago and the S-IC-15 was clearly visible behind the fence at the entry gates to Michoud on Google Earth...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 PM
BAR

Okay I got curious and looked it up on Google Earth... the S-IC-15 is still clearly visible on the Google Earth images at Michoud...

I also got curious and looked up the "Infinity Science Center", which is the new Visitor Center behind the rest area/Mississippi Welcome Center on the south side of I-10 just after you cross the Mississippi/Louisiana line, by the exit for Stennis Space Center. They wanted to move the Visitor Center "off the property" because of security... I guess having a bazillion acres of swamp and a bunch of NOAA people and NASA people and security like Fort Knox isn't enough for them-- can't have the unwashed masses roaming around the old Headquarters building where the Visitor Center USED to be... Guess they just don't feel safe despite having Navy SEALS training out there in riverine warfare... (makes you wonder what they're REALLY doing out there!)

Anyway, I looked the new visitor center up on the map, and the photos must be old, because the S-IC-15 isn't there. For reference, it's located on a new concrete pad at the west end of the long building (the visitor center display hall, visible from the upper floor west end windows, which is from where I took the photos I uploaded. Eventually I think they plan to have a "walk around" area to look at it better, but currently it's roped off as "still under construction" or whatever. They need to build a shelter over the thing to prevent it from completely rotting away and do at least a cosmetic restoration on it IMHO...

Later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  S-IC-15.1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  444.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  S-IC-15.2.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  343.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  InfinityScienceCenterStennis1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  328.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  InfinityScienceCenterStennis2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  360.3 KB  
Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Master Modeler

The SI-C that was at Michoud was recently moved to the Infinity Science Center in Mississippi. Apollo - 13 Astronaut Fred Haise is in the forefront of that facility and I understand fundraising is underway to restore that Saturn - V first stage.

http://www.visitinfinity.com/
Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
The SI-C that was at Michoud was recently moved to the Infinity Science Center in Mississippi. Apollo - 13 Astronaut Fred Haise is in the forefront of that facility and I understand fundraising is underway to restore that Saturn - V first stage.

http://www.visitinfinity.com/

Neat... It's an interesting little Visitor Center, well worth the effort of stopping if you have the chance.

I have pics if anybody wants to see them. Most of their displays are stuff they've moved over from Stennis, but there's some new stuff too. You can ride a bus into Stennis and take pics of the test stands and historic buildings and the ASRB casing they have in there, but they don't stop and allow anybody off the bus.

Later! OL J R