Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Master Modeler

Default Pricing

Estes 1406 Alpha Starter set $27.99 (complete)
Estes 2238 Porta Pad II $27.49
Estes 302220 Controller $29.99

You can buy a complete starter set for $27.99, but, if you want to purchase individual components, check out the current 2007 catalog prices.

The only reason that I bring this up is, I visited my local hobby shop recently, and the owner pointed this out.

He said modle rocket sales were good during the holiday, but, individual components didn't move at all.

I was also advised that prices are on the rise, has anyone noticed that yet?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Yeah, starter sets have always (okay, at least since 2004, when I got into the hobby) been cheaper than buying a rocket kit, plus a launch pad, plus a controller.

But charging more for the controller than for an entire starter set seems really silly.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
charging more for the controller than for an entire starter set seems really silly.

Agreed.

My son and I have bought about 5 starter sets (mostly NSA Starships... which we love) at Wal Mart for $16 and change (each), so we have plenty of "spare" pads and controllers, but if I were to need a pad or controller I'd just get another one of those and have a "free" rocket and engines to boot!

Last edited by Daniel Runyon : 01-25-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Master Modeler

Went to Hobby Lobby the other day to use the 40% discount coupon I printed off our computer; bought a new Metalizer kit for my son, to replace the one I messed up on (accidentally CA glued the engine lock ring on !!). While there, I glanced at the engines
in stock and noticed the prices had gone up to the $8.99 range (was like Wal - Mart's
price - - $4.97). So, yes, the prices are starting to creep up. At least, the engine selection
is better at Hobby Lobby (and Michael's) than at Wal-Mart.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Estes 1406 Alpha Starter set $27.99 (complete)
Estes 2238 Porta Pad II $27.49
Estes 302220 Controller $29.99

You can buy a complete starter set for $27.99, but, if you want to purchase individual components, check out the current 2007 catalog prices.

The only reason that I bring this up is, I visited my local hobby shop recently, and the owner pointed this out.

He said modle rocket sales were good during the holiday, but, individual components didn't move at all.

I was also advised that prices are on the rise, has anyone noticed that yet?

When I got back into the hobby, my first purchase was the Alpha III starter set. I had to replace my Electron Beam launch controller when it stopped working for some reason a couple of years ago (and yes, I checked the batteries ), but I balked at the price. Geez Louise, talk about sticker shock! Now I use my MPR-type Interlock controller, which means that I either launch from the edge of the parking lot or else I schlep one of those portable car jumpstarter batteries (weight = 10 lbs.) out with me when I set up my home-brewed pad.

Even though setting up my current ground support is not that big of a deal (my flying field is not overly large), I sometimes miss the easy portability of the Electron Beam/PortaPad II combination. There are times when I actually miss not having to make multiple trips back and forth to the car just to set up the pad. My launch site has larger fields near my usual one that are part of the same complex, but to get to them I have to walk down a trail and go well out of sight of the car. It's not physically taxing, but it is more of a hassle to tote all my stuff down to the other fields when I am doing it all by myself, so I rarely use them.

Early in my BAR-dom, launching with the Estes equipment was like practicing "ultralight rocketry." I used to just put everything I needed into a small backpack and then hop down the trail and go set up in one of the bigger fields. It was just so simple when I wanted to go just to launch LPR (which is what I do about 90% of the time). Even though I choose to bring all the gear with me that I use now, I did like having the option to go light on occasion.

I'd actually like to get the E launch controller, but that's quite pricey, too. I'll probably wind up getting another starter set, because I also need a new blast deflector anyway. I do wish Estes offered a starter set with the E controller and the E launch pad that was as good of a deal as their current starter sets; I'd really go for that one if they did. I wouldn't expect it to be as inexpensive, but I would like to see an E set that provided a comparable discount. Then again, if they just lowered their current prices a bit, they'd lock me in as a customer. It's not like the current replacement EB's price is so prohibitive, but it is high enough that I have been procrastinating about buying one ever since my first one died.

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Forest Sprite

BTW, I'm willing to accept the notion the Estes sells the starter sets at a steep discount that is at or nearly at cost. It makes eminent sense to offer newcomers to the hobby a break on the gear they need to get set up, and Estes Industries has been doing so ever since 1961. But come on, does the current company really expect to sell many individual launch controllers and launch pads at these prices?

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Master Modeler

How qabout a 1/8" two piece rod for $12.49? You can get piano wire for about two bucks????
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I got a solid 3/16" x 36" rod for $1.63 in Ottumwa, IA last week. I think they are usually a bit higher.

If you want an Electron Beam controller, look for this in Wal-Mart:

They retail for around $10.00 around here, and include a bunch of worthless crap plus an Electron Beam controller.

For less than half the retail of the controller by itself at the last hobby shop I saw it in. Crazy, ain't it?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Well, I guess the engines aren't worthless...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Or you could go here:

http://www.apogeerockets.com/sky_launch_system.asp

The controller is obviously based on the earlier versions of the Estes controller (without the key-ejection feature). Other than the unusual clip selection (those boots won't last long) it looks almost exactly like those oldies.