Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Craftsman

Default Aerotech Astrobee D

I am just getting ready to start this kit and thought I'd ask for any and all advice. I have not built any Aerotech kits before so this is all new territory for me. I have not built a kit using the CA glue that the directions say to use. I do not want to mess this kit up since I shelled out over a 100 clams for it.

Looking at the directions it all seems straight forward enough but if anyone has built one of these and encountered any issues or little quirks I'd definitely like to hear about it. I've had the thing laid out on my table for a week now and all I've done is stare at it cos I'm scared I'm gonna screw it up. There are a couple of sheets in the instructions that I'm not real sure about. They are templates for placing the antennas or something and then the decal instructions... well, I need to go back over those again too because they are not real clear to me. Apparently there are two different decal schemes but I don't really know what's best to use.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
SAM #0354
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Master Modeler

Here is a link to a review on EMRR of this rocket:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/aerote...ken-bracey.html
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Craftsman

Thank you!
SAM #0354
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Old BAR

My personal taste, but think 'epoxy' not CA. CA is fine for little stuff and R/C apps. I think it is too unforgiving in the larger rocket realm, plus it tends to be a bit brittle. I like the longer setting type (30 minutes) because it penetrates well and gives you plenty of time to make corrections. Quite strong.

Enjoy the build! A Saturn V or worse, a Saturn 1B, is a lot harder to construct.
Since you have not built one this size yet, it will be immensely satisfying when you are done. It's a great semi-scale model, too!
Pics as you go???

Allen
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

This rocket has plastic fins and internal fin tabs. Manage landing speed.

"Use wood parts." - Just Jerry
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Do NOT use epoxy for AeroTech kits!

AeroTech kits are designed and assembled differently than traditional hobby rocket kits.

Just follow the instructions and use medium CA adhesive.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Do NOT use epoxy for AeroTech kits!

AeroTech kits are designed and assembled differently than traditional hobby rocket kits.

Just follow the instructions and use medium CA adhesive.

I have to politely disagree here: Aerotech kits are not that different than other high-quality mid-power kits. Other than the plastic fins and the pot-scrubber ejection baffle, they are, essentially, the same.

While YMMV, Epoxy is a longer-lasting and stronger adhesive than medium CA, especially if one uses the accelerator spray on the CA. If CA is your huckelberry, fine; just be very careful installing that engine mount and lining it up for the TTW fins to fit correctly! Depending on your humidity level and your skill, one shot to get it lined up is about all you may have! The weight penalty for using epoxy is minimal, BTW.

One will most likely be using a G motor in this particular rocket anyway. No way would I want to expose a CA-mounted engine mount to those pressures over and over. It's kinda silly and unnecessary, maybe a bit unsafe.

Allen
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Out to launch...

For what it's worth, I've built four Aerotech kits - all by the book. I was skeptical of the all CA assembly too, but I figured first time around they new better than I. Of the four, the only one I had a problem keeping together was the Astrobee D. Mainly because it came in ballistic to a frozen lake - think I forgot the ejection charge, oops... The other three (Initiator, Sumo, and G-Force) were all built per the instructions and are great performers. They have by no means been coddled, either. The Initiator had been darted with no damage or loosening of fins, the Sumo has had a very late ejection with no damage, and the G-Force kicked the motor case on a flight with an H250 due to a clogged baffle. It came in from about 1,600 ft. in a flat spin and sustained no damage. The Sumo and G-Force have both been flown on many G and H impulse motors, nothing shows any adverse effects from motor heat. By the way, why did you pay so much for it? They're only $70.99 from hobbylinc.com. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro89015.htm
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Mainly because it came in ballistic to a frozen lake -

Yep....I'm not sure, but I think that might have been the culprit.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I think it is a bit phunnie the guy who co-designed many of the AT kits is being challenged on how to assemble them on this site. The clogged baffle issue is a real operational issue and based on online posts is pretty common.

Jerry