Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Paper tape for tube rolling - where to buy?

The messages from experienced tube rollers indicate that paper packing tape is a great starting point for rolling your own. I've found several possible products, and am focused on these two:

3M 6141 Water Activated Light Duty Paper Tape, 1.5"x500'

U-Line S-208 Kraft Non-Reinforced Paper Tape, 2"x600'

(You want non-reinforced. The reinforced type has pesky strings in it.)

These are both gummed, kraft paper tapes, applied by wetting the glue. There are a couple others one might consider, but they're either wider or thicker, and hence less desirable, I think.

So, does anyone know where to buy a roll or two without purchasing an entire case? All the resellers I've found thus far only offer entire cartons and not single rolls. I want to take a stab at this, but not bad enough to drop 55-75 bucks So, if anyone knows a source - online or otherwise - please speak up.

BTW, my project in this case is not to roll my own tubes, at least not quite. Instead, I've been given a couple of mod-rock/mid-power sized tubes that are moderately stiff, but have poor exterior surfaces. I'm thinking a single spiral application of the packing tape will add some strength as well as make them easier to finish, so I wanted to give that a try. Plus, the tubes are their own mandrels, so it seems like a good approach, and I want to take a swag at it.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Craftsman

club member used drywall tape, thread here http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=30621 looks like he got reasonable results. hth
rex
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Seems to me I bought a roll at Blick's Art Supplies. It was several years ago, though, and I'm not sure that's where I got it - or if so, if they still carry it.

FWIW, Blicks is great for a lot of rocketry supplies - some of the stuff I've found there and nowhere else: Silver Mylar tape, large rolls of tracing paper for streamers, Sharpie Magnum markers in red (I can find the black ones a lot of places, but not the red). They also carry craft wood, poster and art board, all kinds of paint, markers and other stuff like that.

Greg
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
club member used drywall tape
I considered that. But didn't want to have to mess with making the adhesive. While I had seen this recipe in yet another thread - 1 part flour, one part yellow PVA glue, and four parts water - I was reluctant to try it this go-round. I wanted to minimize the unknowns, and the gummed paper took care of that.

Ended up, I couldn't find the paper in 2" wide rolls. A place here in Plano, www.boxes4u.com , had some 2", but it was reinforced with fiberglass strings, which I was afraid would make for finishing issues (should I actually paint this thing ).

But I found some gummed, un-reinforced 3" at Grainger here. It's a bit wider than I wanted, but it shouldn't be too much harder to work with than the 2". I gave 8 bucks for a 3"x600' roll.

In short, I found some stuff I think I can work with and didn't have to buy an entire case of it

I'll take some pics and post the results when I get around to trying this.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Next time you roll your own, try JOB or Zig Zag 1.5.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
BTW, my project in this case is not to roll my own tubes, at least not quite. Instead, I've been given a couple of mod-rock/mid-power sized tubes that are moderately stiff, but have poor exterior surfaces. I'm thinking a single spiral application of the packing tape will add some strength as well as make them easier to finish, so I wanted to give that a try. Plus, the tubes are their own mandrels, so it seems like a good approach, and I want to take a swag at it.

Doug

Doug, I had a similar situation, and my solution was to get some of that Avery (maybe I bought the Office Max generic equivalent) self adhesive paper. I just was careful, laid the tube on it, and gently rolled it, making sure there were no bubbles. It stiffened the tube, was a piece of cake to fair out the final seam with primer, gave me a perfect painting surface, and it has held up for 5 years so far without a blemish.

Good luck.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Next time you roll your own, try JOB or Zig Zag 1.5.

Or you could use the paper that came with the Big Bamboo album by Cheech and Chong.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
FWIW, Blicks is great for a lot of rocketry supplies - some of the stuff I've found there and nowhere else: Silver Mylar tape, large rolls of tracing paper for streamers, Sharpie Magnum markers in red (I can find the black ones a lot of places, but not the red). They also carry craft wood, poster and art board, all kinds of paint, markers and other stuff like that.

Greg

RTV rubber for mold making, and resin as well; I think a little cheaper than the Alumilite from the hobby stores.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:40 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
So, does anyone know where to buy a roll or two without purchasing an entire case? All the resellers I've found thus far only offer entire cartons and not single rolls. I want to take a stab at this, but not bad enough to drop 55-75 bucks So, if anyone knows a source - online or otherwise - please speak up.

I bought some years ago when the post office was still selling it. I think it is 2" wide. If you still need some, I will try to find it and bring it to the next club meeting.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...