Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default New Kit From Aggressor Aerospace - Grid Fins!

Just putting the final touches on our first new kit in a while. The model is called the KZ-1. The real thing is a Chinese "quick-reaction" launch vehicle - actually launched from a mobile launcher (like a missile....hmmmm....). KZ-1 is short for "Kuaizhou-1," which means "quick vessel-1." The model is BT-60 size, a little under 2' tall. Most importantly - it uses nothing but grid fins for stabilization! I'm pretty sure we're the first manufacturer with a model using only grid fins (Soyuz models have them on the escape portion of the vehicle, but they're stowed for flight and only deployed in the event of an in-flight emergency). I wasn't sure these things would work, but work they do. Not exactly "Red Max or Big Bertha stable," she flies pretty nicely on a C6-3 - though I recommend avoiding super windy days. Future grid-fin kits may follow...

I sell all my kits now through Apogee, but am willing, for a limited time, to "hook up" the YORF team if anybody is interested (send a private message please). Not sure of my exact "wholesale" price just yet, but in the $25-30 range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  975.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  800.1 KB  
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Craftsman

Cool. All that base drag and mighty Chi-Com flag decal will put the scare into any baby boomer!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 PM
7/21/61

Great looking kit!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Craftsman

I flew the other Chinese one I bought at Naram and it did great. It cones just a bit but was fine. Fins look good up front with tiny ones in the back. All in the name of scale accuracy I say. I tell the RSO "sure it is safe, it is an Aggressor Aerospace kit, here, just feel that nose weight!"
Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
I flew the other Chinese one I bought at Naram and it did great. It cones just a bit but was fine. Fins look good up front with tiny ones in the back. All in the name of scale accuracy I say. I tell the RSO "sure it is safe, it is an Aggressor Aerospace kit, here, just feel that nose weight!"

In "CG-forward" we trust!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Craftsman

Fins are over rated on model rockets. Who needs them I say!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Just putting the final touches on our first new kit in a while. The model is called the KZ-1. The real thing is a Chinese "quick-reaction" launch vehicle - actually launched from a mobile launcher (like a missile....hmmmm....). KZ-1 is short for "Kuaizhou-1," which means "quick vessel-1." The model is BT-60 size, a little under 2' tall. Most importantly - it uses nothing but grid fins for stabilization! I'm pretty sure we're the first manufacturer with a model using only grid fins (Soyuz models have them on the escape portion of the vehicle, but they're stowed for flight and only deployed in the event of an in-flight emergency). I wasn't sure these things would work, but work they do. Not exactly "Red Max or Big Bertha stable," she flies pretty nicely on a C6-3 - though I recommend avoiding super windy days. Future grid-fin kits may follow...

I sell all my kits now through Apogee, but am willing, for a limited time, to "hook up" the YORF team if anybody is interested (send a private message please). Not sure of my exact "wholesale" price just yet, but in the $25-30 range.

Love your stuff. I really want to get the UNHA-3, but $77 is a little too much for me right now...maybe Christmas, however, keep cranking out all of the stuff that you are.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default KZ-1s are ready

KZ-1 kits are ready. I'll sell a few more to YORF members at $28 each (send a private message, please). Apogee will get the rest, and they have to make money too!

I'll let folks know as I replenish stock and try to help the YORF team out (read: sell at wholesale). Unfortunately, it will be a while before I make more Unha-3s. That baby is a bugger! Next kits to be re-stocked are the DF-15B and Safir.