Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I'm already learning quite a bit.

I went to the Semroc site and couldn't find the Stiletto. I'm actually talking about the Centuri Stiletto. I think Estes made a completely different rocket with the same name.

I have some of my vintage rockets packed up, but they are buried in a stack of boxes in my garage I have to go though since we moved into this house. Hopefully I'm only a couple of weeks away from finding them.

Does anyone have the specs on a B-14? What is the actual depth of the propellant in the casing? What is the diameter of the drilled out core in the propellant? How deep is this drilled hole?

Has anyone safely been able to modify an existing engine? It would be nice if you could start with a B6-0 or C6-0 and drill a core into the propellant to increase it's instantaneous thrust.
I wonder if anyone has tried something this with any degree of success. I've thought of a jig I could build so I could repeat the exact drilling over and over, but I don't think I have the guts to try something like this.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Master Modeler

B14-x motors had a really big nozzle. Drilling a core into a B6 or C6 could well result in something that just goes boom.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
.......I went to the Semroc site and couldn't find the Stiletto. I'm actually talking about the Centuri Stiletto. I think Estes made a completely different rocket with the same name.
Check this site. Semroc sells the parts to build but hasn't kitted it yet.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=502

Quote:
Has anyone safely been able to modify an existing engine? It would be nice if you could start with a B6-0 or C6-0 and drill a core into the propellant to increase it's instantaneous thrust.
I wonder if anyone has tried something this with any degree of success. I've thought of a jig I could build so I could repeat the exact drilling over and over, but I don't think I have the guts to try something like this.

Well, modifying an existing motor is somewhat of a no-no. This is from the Model Rocket SAfety Code.....

"2. Motors. I will use only certified, commercially-made model rocket motors, and will not tamper with these motors or use them for any purposes except those recommended by the manufacturer. "
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd even settle for the return of the semi-ported old B8-0 and C5-0S engines if we can't get the B14 back. At least those engines had some potential lifting ability that the B6-0 and C6-0 SEVERELY lack.

Their whole reasoning regarding safety in production of the B14 is pure hogwash if they had the drilling operation performed by an automated machine that has no humans around except for loading the motors into the machine and packaging the finished motors.

At best it is pure mamby-pamby-ness and worst it is just some nonsense excuse once again why Estes refuses to supply hobbyists with products they actually WANT, not what they want us to buy !

You won't see the B14's, and I discussed this directly with Barry.
I had also suggested that an automatic operation be used to produce the B14's, it just not going to happen.
They can't even put the B6-0's in three packs, let alone bringing back the B14's.

As I have stated before, this topic was discussed in detail on the old Estes Forum and a "wish list" submitted, the response was, "We'll take a look at it". It's been 8 months now, and no answers!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the tip on the Stilletto. I think I may order the parts tonight.

Well, the B14 question comes from the comment that "Things have changed over the years". I didn't intend on rehashing an old subject, just stating the first "changed" observation that jumped out at me. It seems the only way to get a big rocket going these days is to cluster the first stage.

I hope they don't completely get rid of booster motors. That would put a real damper on one of my favorite aspects of this activity - multi-staged rockets.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
.....I hope they don't completely get rid of booster motors. That would put a real damper on one of my favorite aspects of this activity - multi-staged rockets.

Better go use some of those 40% coupons and stock up......How many Estes kits do you see that are two stage?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the Stilletto. I think I may order the parts tonight.

Well, the B14 question comes from the comment that "Things have changed over the years". I didn't intend on rehashing an old subject, just stating the first "changed" observation that jumped out at me. It seems the only way to get a big rocket going these days is to cluster the first stage.

I hope they don't completely get rid of booster motors. That would put a real damper on one of my favorite aspects of this activity - multi-staged rockets.

No, I don't think that they are going to get rid of booster motors. But, inorder for Estes to continue producing motors that their customers want, they need feedback.
That was the whole purpose of the Estes Forum, but, I guess they were overwhelmed when requests and constructive criticism was coming in???

And, you really don't need to cluster rockets, just change the motor mounts over to other brands of motors,

And one last thing, don't expect to see anymore clustered rocket from Estes either, they have the X-Prize Thunderstar and my 36 D Squared. I was going to design another regular motor cluster and got shot down......Oh well, they say the first hundred years is a bummer, and afdter that, it's all down hill.....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The B6- and C6- engines have much smaller nozzles than the old B14, but the B4- series engines have a nozzle that in my comparison appears to be the SAME as the B14 nozzle, based on looking at the two motors right now in front of me.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

Carl from Semroc would have the answer to you question.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The B6- and C6- engines have much smaller nozzles than the old B14, but the B4- series engines have a nozzle that in my comparison appears to be the SAME as the B14 nozzle, based on looking at the two motors right now in front of me.

What brand of B14 and what year? They varied (Estes vs. Centuri pre-Penrose).

I recall the B14 was quite a bit larger in the exit as well as the throat. Obviously the core was much deeper on the B14.