Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Centuri Eagle Power Outfit

This post really belonds to bothf kit collecting and project forums, so I chose projects because the Screamin Eagle needs some work done to it.

I've been wanting one of these for decades. I paid too much for it, but I've let too many of them slip through my fingers over the years and this set was complete except for the original motors. The guy did include an Estes blister pack with a Centuri A8-5 and a couple of Estes C6-5 motors, though....but I wouldn't trust them in any rocket.

Now to the nitty gritty. Whoever assembled the rocket, made a mistake. The tube coupler was not pushed up into the rocket so that the body tube would slip over the fin can. The only thing that held the rocket together when it was flown, was the "thrust tube", which was glued inside the motor mount tube. Evidently the glue didn't withstand the heat of very many launches and came loose. I'm guessing the kid packed everything back in the box nice and neat and forgot about it because everything is in excellent condition. Even the microclips are original and in great shape. There's some rust on the blast deflector, but I'll get over it.

Here's the question. What is the safest way to fix my new rocket? Do I peel everything out from the body tube? Do I take a Dremel and try to eat away some of the tube coupler from inside the body tube? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
BP Mafia

Nice, especially when compared to mine. I'll see if I can post some pics later tonight. There's no hope for my Eagle, and no power since 2001.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Nice, especially when compared to mine. I'll see if I can post some pics later tonight. There's no hope for my Eagle, and no power since 2001.

Speaking of no power... I'd love to get my hands on an old red and white Everedy 731 lantern battery for display purposes.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
...Whoever assembled the rocket, made a mistake. The tube coupler was not pushed up into the rocket so that the body tube would slip over the fin can. The only thing that held the rocket together when it was flown, was the "thrust tube", which was glued inside the motor mount tube. Evidently the glue didn't withstand the heat of very many launches and came loose...

Here's the question. What is the safest way to fix my new rocket? Do I peel everything out from the body tube? Do I take a Dremel and try to eat away some of the tube coupler from inside the body tube? Inquiring minds want to know!

Simple fix, from what the photos show. Start by cutting a small piece of body tube of the same diameter, and glue it over the top edge (shoulder) of the fin can. Use a smear of epoxy for this...

Next, epoxy the assembled forward section into the fin can, using the epoxy to create a gas seal as well as to hold the sections together. You should also use this opportunity to attach a Kevlar thread around that coupler and through a (new) hole in that coupler. After the epoxy cures, then use a filler compound to smooth out any remaining gaps...

This should resolve any issues that plagued the previous owner...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. However, as I fooled with the "thrust coupler" (greeinish black tube coupler) it felt a little loose. I was able to work it out of the larger tube coupler which let me get at the bigger tube coupler with the dremel tool. I was able to remove about 1/4" from it. I scuffed up the smaller tube coupler to let the glue soak into it a little better.

I don't have any kevlar line. However, I only plan to fly this bird a few times off the Powr Pad for some photos and the whole thing will go up on the shelf for display. Maybe I'll find another one in the future and use one of the sets for active flight duty.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. However, as I fooled with the "thrust coupler" (greeinish black tube coupler) it felt a little loose. I was able to work it out of the larger tube coupler which let me get at the bigger tube coupler with the dremel tool. I was able to remove about 1/4" from it. I scuffed up the smaller tube coupler to let the glue soak into it a little better.

I don't have any kevlar line. However, I only plan to fly this bird a few times off the Powr Pad for some photos and the whole thing will go up on the shelf for display. Maybe I'll find another one in the future and use one of the sets for active flight duty.

Before you do the repair job, take the time to draw out those fins and get us some measurements, so we can duplicate the fin can in RockSim. Since that fin can isn't in production (that I know of), we can at least duplicate it with tubes and balsa...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Before you do the repair job, take the time to draw out those fins and get us some measurements, so we can duplicate the fin can in RockSim. Since that fin can isn't in production (that I know of), we can at least duplicate it with tubes and balsa...

I've already sent the Screamin Eagle stuff to Scott.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

I'll measure it and slap the numbers on the template. I saved it as a jpg, but the original tiff is on file at JimZ's. It is actually in cm instead of mm. Oops.

Last edited by tbzep : 08-15-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I've already sent the Screamin Eagle stuff to Scott.

Thanks, folks. I'll whip up a RockSim subassembly and post it tonight...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation New Plan -- Centuri Screaming Eagle

Quote:
I'll whip up a RockSim subassembly and post it tonight...

...And here it is...

I tried to match up the closest components from SEMROC, then converted them to plastic equivalents. This file may be off just a bit in weights, but I think it's close enough to work.

Length: 16.4"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 3.62"
Weight: 1.35 oz

A8-3.......232'.......9 FPS
B4-4.......584'......33 FPS
B6-6.......610'......26 FPS
C6-7......1350'......11 FPS

All motors reach flight V in the length of a standard rod.

As you can see, this bird has a wicked mid-power deployment issue. At the low and high ends, however, the deployment velocities are within acceptable limits, and are actually quite low. Using plastic components instead of balsa, the stability margin with the C6-7 is 1.10, safely above the 1.00 minimum limit. With balsa, it was down to 0.87...

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Screaming Eagle 2D.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  27.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Screaming Eagle 3D.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  42.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Centuri Screaming Eagle.rkt (55.6 KB, 123 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635