Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Default WANTED: Info on the Centuri Groove Tube (5011)

I've found some info on rocketreviews.com. However, the info states that the builder upscaled it to a BT-50, and changed the dimensions of the body tube to accommodate the shorter nosecone that he had to use, the lengths given don't outright indicate if they are adjusted, or stock. I can't find a any Centuri dimensions guide like the Estes kit/body tube guide. Though JimZ's site has the instructions, it has a really lousy image of the decals.

What I need is info on the stock body tubes, and their lengths. Also some info on the engine hook (basically how wide was it)? At this time, I know nothing about the nosecone... I might be able to find something with some searching, but if someone has stats on it, or can point me in the right direction, I'd be greatly appreciative.

A fresh scan (along with a ruler for scale) of the decals would be awesome. I understand that it came with self-adhesive chrome strip decals, but I don't know their width.

Thanks!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Launching since 1970.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri/ka-11.txt

JimZ scans come out crystal clear for me. They are .tif and open with Windows Photo Viewer for me.

Yes, the decal scan is not the greatest.

Try contacting Mark for stickers in your preferred body tube size:
https://stickershock23.com/product/groove-tube/
Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri/ka-11.txt

JimZ scans come out crystal clear for me. They are .tif and open with Windows Photo Viewer for me.

Yes, the decal scan is not the greatest.

Try contacting Mark for stickers in your preferred body tube size:
https://stickershock23.com/product/groove-tube/

Thanks.

The instructions are clear, and they're for the KA-11. While I doubt that there's much difference, I'm curious how the 5011's instructions would be different. Who knows? Maybe it would have part numbers (say for the nosecone) and dimensions.

I'm not really looking to build it (yet), I'm more interested in simming it up for those who might be interested in cloning it.

I did turn this up though...

http://www.masa-rocketry.org/planet..._13-Issue_2.pdf

Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Launching since 1970.

Scale up as desired.

Flies great on cluster of 7 C6-3 motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mega+Tubular+Treat+back+home.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  23.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Motor+mount+for+Mega+TT.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  26.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Tubular+Dudes.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  29.6 KB  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Seagulls Beware...

In looking at the 1980 catalog, I find a plastic nosecone that looks to be about right... Can anyone confirm the Groove Tube used the PNC-89 nosecone (PN 6220) (4.6" long)?

[EDIT] Reading further in an old post on the Groove Tube, I found that Tau Zero stated that the nosecone was 4.6" long. Looks like I'm on the right path.[/EDIT]

Any other specs on it if it is? Radius of the hemispherical portion, length of shoulder, specs on the shoulder part (it's a 2 part (likely injection molded) nosecone).

Oh, and I need shock cord length/width too.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited by K'Tesh : 08-22-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
The instructions are clear, and they're for the KA-11. While I doubt that there's much difference, I'm curious how the 5011's instructions would be different. Who knows? Maybe it would have part numbers (say for the nosecone) and dimensions.

In my experience, Centuri was not as diligent in documenting the parts in their kits as Estes was. This difference between the two companies also applied to the instructions provided with the kits. Unfortunately, Centuri did not have the money available that Estes did after both companies were acquired by Damon. The disparity really showed up in the newsprint catalogs from 1975-1978 and the small number of new Centuri kits compared to Estes, especially after 1979.

Normally for Centuri, you would need to find an original kit to get accurate dimensions for the tubes, nose cones, etc. because of the lack detail in the parts list. The only Centuri kit that received Estes-like parts lists were the ones that were released in the last two to three years of the company's existence. The PNC-89 was available in two versions; the older two injected-molded version with the red cone and a white base, and a blow-molded single piece version molded in red plastic.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
In my experience, Centuri was not as diligent in documenting the parts in their kits as Estes was. This difference between the two companies also applied to the instructions provided with the kits. Unfortunately, Centuri did not have the money available that Estes did after both companies were acquired by Damon. The disparity really showed up in the newsprint catalogs from 1975-1978 and the small number of new Centuri kits compared to Estes, especially after 1979.

Normally for Centuri, you would need to find an original kit to get accurate dimensions for the tubes, nose cones, etc. because of the lack detail in the parts list. The only Centuri kit that received Estes-like parts lists were the ones that were released in the last two to three years of the company's existence. The PNC-89 was available in two versions; the older two injected-molded version with the red cone and a white base, and a blow-molded single piece version molded in red plastic.

Centuri kits had different parts over the years even before the Estes crossover. Not just injection vs blow molded, but different shapes. An example would be the Taurus which had two totally different cones for the pods. It's happened with Estes, as we've talked about with the Alpha kit, but it has happened a lot more with Centuri.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:

I found that newsletter a while back when trying to make a mini-downscale cardstock clone. I emailed the author, his email is in the PDF, and he sent me his decal artwork, in black, blue, and red.

You might consider the option of adding the Booster 8 to the sim, since the Groove Tube is one of the compatible kits, along with the Excalibur 2. I made a Booster 5 for my 13 mm min dia mini-downscale Groove Tube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  GrooveTubeBooster5.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  65.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_6420.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  79.6 KB  

Last edited by GlenP : 08-23-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 AM
rosko_racer

Default Groove Tube On Another MASA Planet Issue

This MASA Planet Issue has information on the Groove Tube and some measurements are in the article. It also provides information on upscales. They did an excellent job documenting about their GTs on this issue as well on Issue 2. I am not aware if they had further issues on the GT. I used this issue when I cloned my Groove Tube. The GT first appeared in Centuri's 1972 catalog and was in production until 1980.

I kit bashed my upscale GT from an Estes Super Neon. I like the original decals but for some reason I did not go all the way with the original look. The decals were printed on an Alps printer with a base silver metallic layer then layers of magenta and yellow. The silver gives it a nice metallic red color that goes well with the chrome stripes and the Gun Metal Black of the fin tubes. The nose cone had a similar finish than the decals: a base coat of Tamiya Mica Silver then Tamiya Mica Red. The other picture is my Centuri fleet in different stages of construction, finish, in need of a total redone, or finished. Most are clones (kit clones or scratch built) and two are original (Skylab and Vector V). My most cherished and challenging build was the SSV Scorpion... Enjoy the view!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  72cen014.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  133.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Groove Tube.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  351.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  My Centuri Fleet.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  736.3 KB  

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm not really looking to build it (yet), I'm more interested in simming it up for those who might be interested in cloning it.

I did turn this up though...

http://www.masa-rocketry.org/planet..._13-Issue_2.pdf
The lifting body model (a scale X-38, I think) that's shown on the last page looks interesting, too... Regarding the Groove Tube clone that's covered in the article, I don't think you need to settle for a balsa duplicate of its plastic nose cone, as Sirius Rocketry www.siriusrocketry.com makes polyurethane resin duplicates of quite a few Estes and Centuri plastic nose cones, in their "Moldin' Oldies" product line. Also, just because a particular nose cone isn't listed *doesn't* necessarily mean that they don't have it, because I ordered several Centuri nose cones that aren't listed, and never were--here (see: http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...s-and-parts-26/ ) is their "Moldin' Oldies" store page. If you don't see any nose cone listed, ask them! They only list the most-ordered ones.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR