Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Craftsman

Default I'm gonna be more careful with my Floss Box around the shower

Stooping to pick up an empty plastic Dental Floss container from my bathroom floor, on Recycling Day, my sciatic nerve pinched, and I crumpled to the deck like a tattered Russell Athletic MSU Sweatshirt tossed aside after a long Saturday of "Inappropriate Misconduct." As my Piriformis spasmed, I instinctually opened the hinged cap to rid said plastic box of its metal Floss Cutter; thereby facilitating the Saving of our Planet. This time, however, still wracked by spasms, I took notice of the paper tube spiraling out of the box and coming to rest adjacent the sundry, yellowed nail clippings.

Still spasming, in agony, my mind raced to recent YORF posts of Patrol Cruiser Excalibers, Dragon Ship 7s, Avenger Guineveres. Those little tube details girding the engine tube, those BT-3XWs, they get expensive at $1.19 a pop.

What would happen if I cut these Floss Tubes in half, and made the necessary adjustments?

The tubes look to be off only by millimeters.

I think I'm just saying that I'm saving these tubes from Huron Trout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0061.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  75.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0060 (1).jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0060.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  84.4 KB  

Last edited by Overeasy123 : 11-30-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Avid Builder

Looks like they could be used as 1/4" launch lugs as well.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Craftsman

Right? As long as you don't mind Mint-Flavored Launch Lugs!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overeasy123
Right? As long as you don't mind Mint-Flavored Launch Lugs!

Not at all, as long as they're plaid. (That's a Leisure Suit Larry joke and might not translate well.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Dazed and Confused

LOL...I loved the LSL and Spacequest series from Sierra too.

Overeasy123, you know the pesky piriformis muscle that's causing you pain, so I'm sure you know the proper stretches that will put you on the road to a quicker recovery. Not only do they help me get over it, I hardly ever have a full blown crippling episode anymore. I try to remember to stretch every night, but sometimes forget. Sometimes I feel a twinge that quickly reminds me to find a hidden place and stretch right now!

If you build an identical pair of MMX rockets with those little tubes, you can call them the Double Mint Micro Twins.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Overeasy123, you know the pesky piriformis muscle that's causing you pain, so I'm sure you know the proper stretches that will put you on the road to a quicker recovery. Not only do they help me get over it, I hardly ever have a full blown crippling episode anymore. I try to remember to stretch every night, but sometimes forget. Sometimes I feel a twinge that quickly reminds me to find a hidden place and stretch right now!

Wow, you beat me to it.

Losing some weight, lots of walking, and stretches have pretty much eliminated my hideous bouts of sciatic pain.

So . . . last week, I was hit by a car while walking my dog. The car also hit a utility pole, slowing it, so I "only" got a broken rib and got hurled into a fence and bounced off into a crumpled heap. Big swollen bruises on my hips, thighs, and knees, constant back ache and stiffness . . . and honestly, that was LESS painful than sciatic nerve attacks.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 12-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
. . . and honestly, that was LESS painful than sciatic nerve attacks.

I've seen it put tears in the eyes of big old tough football coaches.
I've even helped roll one out to the car in a desk chair and load him up to go to the doctor.
It's crippled me pretty bad a few times, but thankfully not since I started isolating and stretching the crap out of the piriformis.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Master Modeler

That nerve (as well as others that "fired" at the least provocation, including just from inhaling too deeply while asleep) is why I refuse to let myself be 'weaned off' morphine pills, despite the current hysteria about the so-called "opioid crisis." To the question (which some doctors have asked me), "But what if you get addicted to the morphine?", I say: "So what? My pain is tolerable now, while it was totally out of control before I started taking it." (A disabled Vietnam veteran friend of mine had his morphine pills cut off "cold turkey" last month by a zealous young PA [a Physicians' Assistant, who suggested Extra-Strength Tylenol instead], but this decision was soon reversed after his psychiatric nurse--my friend also has severe PTSD--had a little chat with the PA and pointed out that PTSD, including intrusive thoughts about "neutralizing threats," is greatly exacerbated by extreme pain...) Also:

The truth is that there is *no* opioid crisis (which suddenly, out of nowhere, became a news item about a year and a half ago), because the rate of addiction among patients has not changed over the years. This so-called crisis erupted (as a physician guest--and other doctors and pharmacists who called in--explained to George Noory when he discussed this issue on his radio program last week) because new--but considerably more expensive than opioids--painkillers are being developed. Keeping new patients from taking opioids (and getting currently opioid-taking patients off them) also ensures that insurance companies and the VA (Veterans Administration) won't have to pay for the more expensive follow-on painkillers, either, and:

While I whole-heartedly endorse the sciatic nerve attack-preventing exercises that Stefanj and Tbzep mentioned above, if any of you--due to your unique situations--need or would be helped by powerful painkillers (in my case, ankylosing spondylitis is an aggravating factor, which will never go away and will worsen over time), don't let your doctors talk you out of them. Pain destroys quality of life, and chronic pain--especially if it is severe, but even if it is not--ruins enjoyment of life. You have the right to fight pain with the most powerful "weapons" available.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-05-2017, 06:56 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Wholeheartedly agree with the statement above from Blackshire about the supposed yet NON EXISTENT opioid/opiate "crisis".
I'm of the opinion that if someone's name is followed by the letters MD or DO, they should be able to prescribe whatever they dammed well please to their patients with ZERO interference from the DEA.
Gov't overreach into the medical profession by the DEA is causing patients in real pain having trouble getting their meds they need as the Physicians are being intimidated by jackbooted DEA tactics and unwarranted oversight.

For real pain relief from injuries, NOTHING comes close to opioids.
I have several friends that are Physicians as well as Dentists and they echo the same sentiment.

A few years back "a friend" had a severe debilitating back injury that was not correctable by surgery that lasted 9 months before opioid therapy could be discontinued. Had ZERO problems with any sort of addiction or withdrawal. They took meds AS DIRECTED and never increased the dosage without consent of their Physician.
Problems happen when individuals take opioids to get "high" and not for therapeutic purposes.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Wholeheartedly agree with the statement above from Blackshire about the supposed yet NON EXISTENT opioid/opiate "crisis".
I'm of the opinion that if someone's name is followed by the letters MD or DO, they should be able to prescribe whatever they dammed well please to their patients with ZERO interference from the DEA.
Gov't overreach into the medical profession by the DEA is causing patients in real pain having trouble getting their meds they need as the Physicians are being intimidated by jackbooted DEA tactics and unwarranted oversight.

For real pain relief from injuries, NOTHING comes close to opioids.
I have several friends that are Physicians as well as Dentists and they echo the same sentiment.

A few years back "a friend" had a severe debilitating back injury that was not correctable by surgery that lasted 9 months before opioid therapy could be discontinued. Had ZERO problems with any sort of addiction or withdrawal. They took meds AS DIRECTED and never increased the dosage without consent of their Physician.
Problems happen when individuals take opioids to get "high" and not for therapeutic purposes.
Thank you. Putting it colloquially, "the pain absorbs the high"; a body in pain doesn't react the same way to opioids (and cannabis, too) as the body of someone who *isn't* in pain, but is seeking to get high. My uncle Bill (a former rodeo cowboy), and Dorothy, a late former co-worker of mine, both had severe chronic pain--from oral cancer and severe diabetic neuropathy, respectively--and both found that cannabis tea kept them pain-free, while *not* making them the least bit "stoned," and:

I would use cannabis in tea form myself to control the occasional "spikes" of pain (it's legal in Alaska), if I wouldn't be denied morphine if urine tests revealed THC in my system. It is *L-O-N-G* past time for government, at all levels, to grow up and get out of peoples' lives if they aren't harming anyone. Their attitude (which also forces informed adults who want fresh, un-processed milk to become part-owners of dairy cows, nanny goats, and even lactating mares [which used to be a non-issue]) is so "copulated-up" that if I happened across a unicorn (or more likely, vice-versa) and he or she cured all of my diseases, I think the government would want to arrest the unicorn, and prosecute her or him for practicing medicine without a license...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR