Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Chrome sheets

Does Hobby Lobby carry chrome sheets or penstriping? Just wondering if I could get some there without having to go to an R/C shop to get some expensive Trim Monocote (Moneycote). All I need is a small piece to make two rings around my Semroc Lil' Herc. I've just finished it in 1974 Centuri catalog colors and all that's needed are the rings.

I also slapped together the X-24 bug that I've had printed and waiting for three or four years. Dang what a backlog of stuff I have to do!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Does Hobby Lobby carry chrome sheets or penstriping? Just wondering if I could get some there without having to go to an R/C shop to get some expensive Trim Monocote (Moneycote). All I need is a small piece to make two rings around my Semroc Lil' Herc. I've just finished it in 1974 Centuri catalog colors and all that's needed are the rings.

I also slapped together the X-24 bug that I've had printed and waiting for three or four years. Dang what a backlog of stuff I have to do!

The chrome sheets I bought from HL once aren't worth any $$ to spend. At least, the ones I
got are so thin and fragile that they're nothing but trouble. Wish I could find the type of chrome mylar that CMR carried in their catalogs in the 1970's, those were a real dandy to
use!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
The chrome sheets I bought from HL once aren't worth any $$ to spend. At least, the ones I
got are so thin and fragile that they're nothing but trouble. Wish I could find the type of chrome mylar that CMR carried in their catalogs in the 1970's, those were a real dandy to
use!

Amen!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:

Tim,

How big a piece do you need? I have a few scrap pieces of chrome Trim Monokote that I am not going to use. If I have a big enough piece I can send you one.

Drew
Old 07-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Tim,

How big a piece do you need? I have a few scrap pieces of chrome Trim Monokote that I am not going to use. If I have a big enough piece I can send you one.

Drew

Thanks Drew, but I need head out to a real hobby shop anyway. My son wants some styrene sheeting to fabricate a push bar for his kitbashed General Lee car. I was just putting it off. If for some reason they don't have any, I might give you a holler.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Master Modeler

Michael's craft shops carry a selection of metallic "Contact Ultra".

They have gold and silver metallics, plus blue and red metallic flake and a "prismatic" silver patter, in five packs (letter sized sheets) and rolls.

The former are three dollars and change if you use the 40% off coupon.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Craftsman

Quote:

A 5" by 36" sheet of trim monokote can be had for as little as $2.49
even at 3 or 4 dollars. I figure thats quite inexpensive for the amount of rockets you can detail with one sheet!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

The cost comes from traveling to an R/C hobby shop. I'm in a rural area, so I'd spend $20 on gas plus the cost of the sheet. Not to mention, seeing all the other cool stuff there. I'm afraid I'd walk out with something I really don't need. I've put my R/C hobby on hold for a while and I already have several unbuilt kits.

I'll probably order a sheet from Tower. My son wants some styrene and they have both in stock. The $9 shipping charge will be cheaper than driving to a hobby shop. I'll probably throw in some X-Acto blades, paint, and other consumables to make it a little more cost effective.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Well, slap my butt and call me judy! I forgot about the Estes Mercury Atlas I have. I pulled out the chrome (polished stainless for the real thing) wrap and cut two strips off the scrap. I now have my chrome strips for the Lil' Herc ! I'll post some pics this afternoon.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

NOTHING replicates chrome like trim Monokote....I dont even consider it expensive at all....it is under $5/sheet at my local hobby shop.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !