Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
L- 3 rated nutball

Default Trailer parking and damage or wear?

If there is a WOOSH member who can supply us with a new spot to park the trailer please step up.

I have had it at a buddy's construction outfit for the last five years or so and it's really starting to get to be difficult to keep it there. His business is one in which he acquires more equipment and junk all the time and parking the trailer there is getting to be a hassle for us and him.

I don't know how it happened but the axle on the trailer is dog tracking, the passenger side is shifted rearward and there is a nice dent in the leaf spring mount. Could have happened anywhere I guess but it's likely that the guys at the construction outfit ran the trailer over something while moving it around.

I'm going to work on fixing it this week, plus I am going to dig out that "D" box and make sure it works. I think that the bad battery has a lot to do with the problems you guys had with it at the earlier launch. That is one of the only two things that ever go wrong. The other being that folks don't plug in the cords. That's one of the reasons why we couldn't launch the Fox Valley project yesterday. Noone ever plugged in the cord going from the "C" bank to the "D" bank.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Out to launch...

I didn't notice any damage to the trailer last month, must have happened between then and now.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
L- 3 rated nutball

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that the axle is not shifted but just looks that way due to the fender being a little off center. I measured it and it is just an illusion. There is still a good ding in the right front spring perch. Good thing they weld them on hot.
The tires are worn on the outside of the tread. They were under inflated when I grabbed the trailer earlier this month. They need to be at 50 psi.

I greased up the bearings and the rear hinges. Cleared out the snow fencing. It was just taking up valuable room.
Does anyone think it's a good idea for us to be keeping those old PFD's in there? I think we should chuck them. Noone has ever used them. If anyone ever drops a rocket in the water it will be their problem to get the gear together to get the rocket out.

I put the hybrid motor hardware in the trailer for the winter. It takes up a good amount of room in my garage during the flying season but it'll be fine sitting in the trailer until the spring.

OK, on to the bad news, For those of you who didn't see it on FB.
When I opened up the trailer I found the front axle on the launch pad wagon collapsed.
Many of the fasteners had loosened up and caused the mishap. I have affected repairs but the bracketry under the wagon is not strong enough to handle the load on it.
I gave the thing to my neighbor who is a welder. He is going to spruce it up for us. He works cheap. When it's fixed I'll let you know what it cost.