Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Do not try the cigarette lighter trick in the car....this car circuit does not have enough amperage either (you will probably blow a fuse in the car)....how do I know this one ?
I'm an Electrical engineer for one of the big auto companies up in Michigan.

Interesting - I've never heard that - and I know lighter adapters have been used before , Pratt hobbies sells such an adapter for their go box system
Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
Ihave been using a small box for parts, but as the fleet has grown, I have been trying to figure out how to safely transport them to the field.

What does LHS mean? I am sure that I am just being dense.

Oh, and do you think I might get a launch or two from the Lantern batteries? At least until I get the extra tractor battery or buy the motorcyle battery (which, being smaller is way more attractive when I have to hike out 300 yards from the parking lot of my big field).

LHS = Local Hobby Shop

You should get a few starts from lantern batteries, but unless they are true rechargeables, you will only get just so many launches and it begins to die. A 12V 4.5AH Gell-Cell and a charger can be picked up for about $25 from Tower Hobbies (You can also locate this at the LHS under either the Tower name, or Great Planes which is the same company...).

I'd seriously consider this route over the dry lantern batteries any day. The cig port can be used to "top off" the gell-cell when you have to drive to a field farther away...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I would not trust lantern batteries. They are fairly low capacity and fairly high cost.
I fly R/C aircraft too and always have a cycle battery or two around as I use them to power my R?C engine electric starter and glo-plug driver.
I usually use one that is a couple of seasons old and is pulled from one of my jet-skis (one of my other MANY expensive hobbies).
The circuit for a cig. lighter in cars is usually 5 or 10 amps. If it is a 10 amp circuit you MAY be able to get away with using it to fire copperheads, I personally still would not....copperheads may nominally require 3 amps to fire them, but the in-rush current is probably much higher; if this in-rush lasts long enough or is high enough above the fuse rating it will blow.

Based on my experience with automotive circuitry, I vote that firing igniters by this circuit is a BAD idea....I would not do it myself, but hey, it's your car.
I would however NOT hesitate to use it to top off cycle batteries with a R/C field charger, provided the charge rate is no more than 1/2 the amperage of the fuse protecting the circuit.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
slave to the wind

I'll check out the gel cells this weekend coming.

I had picked up two lantern batteries today at Wal-Mart for my test flight. If I get a few launches out of them I am cool. They were 5 bucks for both of them. Unfortunately, my standard porta pad has a standard rod. I got the maxi out, but I get a little leaning if I don't have it centered right.

Looks like the rod holder isn't staying very tight to the legs. Well, they are cheap plastic. One of my friends has been talking to me about building a pad out of stainless steel. He welds and fabricates all types of things. I can just imagine what we could build.

One more thing... Has anyone every used an adapter in an adapter? The SLS Jaguar and Javelin would do well on the 18mm RMS and loads that I have. I already have a 24mm adapter glued in (supplied with kit) but would like to try the 18 in there once or twice. Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegod
.... The SLS Jaguar and Javelin would do well on the 18mm RMS and loads that I have. I already have a 24mm adapter glued in (supplied with kit) but would like to try the 18 in there once or twice. Any thoughts?
I don't see why not. With the 24mm adapter glued in, it becomes a 24mm motor mount in my opinion.

I have the 24mm adapter glued into my SLS Jaguar and SLS Sky Hook. There is no way I would ever use a 29mm in either rocket since I would like them back.

At our small field, I have flown the SLS Sky Hook with an adapter and C6-5's.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The standard Estes porta-pad is really too light to be using for composite launches.
I use a porta-pad "E" and a saw-horse that has 5 rods installed in it, equidistantly spaced.
In my saw horse I have one 1/4" rod, two 3/16" rods, and two 1/8" rods. All rods are 48" long to allow a little extra speed for stability before leaving the rod.
It works great and is really inexpensive. I can have 5 on the pad ready to go very quickly.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Old Rocketeer

Bikegod, another good power source is the jump boxes that many stores sell. You could either figure out some way to connect the launch system to the jump clamps or use the cig lighter port. I have seen these units priced from $25 to $50 depending on what else they do, such as pump up tires. Most also have some way to charge the battery.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 PM
B.A.R. and RC Geek

Send a message via Yahoo to Ramjet
Default falingtrea is right on

Get one of the Car jump start units from wal-mart or such place - they are cheap and VERY powerful. I'v gone to nothing else for Powering both my RC aircraft starters and Rocketry ignition. They are mondo wattage capable, especialy if you pick off the main clips. I actually removed those cables from one and put in Hi-Amperage connectors on the front plate.
(I'm an Electronic Design Engineer) I Plug in, Arm by turning on the switch on the Jump Pack, then Launch with a ordinary push button switch from radio shack. I have not finished it all yet, it will eventually have a piezo buzzer for continuety check.

Ramjet

Ramjet