Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefan
Does anyone know of a quick and efficient way to build or roll your on body tubes for constructing engine mounts? I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that you can build an engine mount tube by rolling paper or cardboard around an engine casing (18mm, 24mm, etc. depending on what size you want). I recently bought an Estes Outlander kit and want to upgrade it from 18mm to 24mm . I've heard from other rocketeers that the Outlander is dangerously underpowered if flown in stock form on 18mm engines.

I modified my Outlander to take 24mm motor tube. It was kind of a pain. I have not flown it yet. For my Semroc Mars Lander, I stayed with 18mm, and bought the Aerotech 18mm RMS hardware. I bought both the D13 and D24 reloads, and will likely try the D24 first.

Here is my Outlander. A bit modified with styrene add-on pieces on the capsule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  OutlanderD-7.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  63.3 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 02-10-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP
Anybody have any idea of how to roll your own transparent body tubes/payload sections?

Seriously, can it be done?

IF I were going to try, I think I'd start with clear packing tape. Wind it sticky side out around a mandrel of some sort, one that you can handle without getting gunk the tape sticky side... overlap it a tiny bit so that the edges self-seal to each other, in a spiral pattern up the mandrel. Then put another layer sticky side down on top of it at an angle, wrapping the opposite direction. Alternate layers on top of one another like that until the desired thickness/strength is obtained.

How clear would it be?? Clear, but not "optically clear" (as in you can see through it, but don't count on a camera to be able to see through it clearly-- of course cameras can't see through REGULAR extruded clear plastic tube worth a darn either-- they're not "optically clear"... (my brother and I learned that trying to mount a camera in the "driver's seat" of his RC monster truck looking through the front windshield of the Lexan body... the windshield LOOKS "clear" to the naked eye, but it's not "optically clear" to the camera lens... looks like it was filmed through a sheet of glass with a thin layer of Vaseline on it...)

Later! OL J R
Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Anybody have any idea of how to roll your own transparent body tubes/payload sections?

Seriously, can it be done?

You are better off looking for clear tubing that's already made unless you are talking about making a clear fin can for a scale project.

I have a bunch of clear tube from:

Home Depot or Lowe's has clear tube sleeves for fluorescent light bulbs.
Pet stores have clear tubes for aquarium filter systems.
Various places sell clear tubes of candy, especially candy canes at/after Christmas.
McMaster Carr has a size or two of clear tubing, or at least used to. It's been years since I looked.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
IF I were going to try, I think I'd start with clear packing tape. Wind it sticky side out around a mandrel of some sort...

I had tried that once before, but I did not do a good job. I gave it a try again and think it might work. If you crisscross the tape layers, then you get more seams that reduce the transparency. I tried doing the first layer spiral and then a couple additional layers convolute, then the seams don't build up so much. Either way, I think I could get an approximately transparent short payload tube with reasonable strength, it won't have to take ejection loads. But I do agree, these parts are so easy to find ready made, but I was just thinking of doing a mini downscale cardstock payloader, like a Snipe Hunter and wanted to attempt to build it all from scratch. But, hey, I can just get a full size SEMROC Snipe Hunter from eRockets anyway. Rolling paper tubes has advantages when you have a complex paint or decal scheme that you can just print up on your computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  1.03 MB  
Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I was just thinking of doing a mini downscale cardstock payloader

From 3/16" diameter up to 5" diameter clear tubing. They also have thin wall and thick wall tubing. Work up a group buy for your diameter, as it is shipped by the box.
http://store.visipak.com/Medium-Wal...stic-Tubes.html

Or....Hit the office supply stores and look for clear pen tubes, hobby/craft stores for paint brush tubes, pen tubes, etc. If only x-acto still sold their knife handles in tubes instead of blister packs!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
... look for clear pen tubes, hobby/craft stores for paint brush tubes, pen tubes, etc...

Thanks for the tips. Those bulk packs are very economical, a group or club buy would be a good option. The purpose-built tubes are easy enough to acquire. I just like the challenge of re-purposing and recycling materials for rocket builds occasionally.

I have been saving paper towel rolls and T.P. rolls that fit as couplers and was thinking of building a tall rocket (think Thunder ROC or Mean Machine) and calling it "NORTHERN BOUNTY" - get it?