Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
luke

PHP Code:
 because the typical "3FNC" kits don't interest me at all anymore 

Can I assume you've not looked at any of the offerings from Estes in the past 8 years since there are LOTS of stuff that aren't simple 3 fins and a nose cone.

John Boren

Yeah, I've looked at plenty of Estes's offerings and bought more than a few... Love the sci-fi type kits and scale rockets.

I'm just commenting that basically those of us flying BP motors, primarily LPR/MPR, and not composite motors, rely primarily upon Estes for our motors. I bought quite a few of the Quest motors and they're good for *certain things* (light rockets you want to fly really high) but the "flea fart" ejections have bit me more than once... Of course with Quest not even really a player any more, that means we're even MORE reliant on Estes for a good selection and size of black powder rocket motors.

Like I said, "kits I can get anywhere"-- there are literally DOZENS of rocket vendors and companies manufacturing kits of various types and kinds nowdays, but when it comes to black powder motors, Estes is pretty much it...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Estes has offered loads of great kits the past 5-6 years, including one I NEVER thought we would get, the 1/45 Centuri Little Joe II.
Now if we could get both the 1/70 and 1/100 Saturn 1B and the K-21 Gemini Titan back it would be amazing !

Absolutely... OL JR
Old 03-17-2018, 10:52 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Road flare! Perfect description.

Yeah sad story but my buddy Dave here on the forum came out to the farm one time and went to fly his beautiful FSI Maverick (IIRC) on an E9 and got the dreaded "blast deflector ping" right at liftoff, as the motor spit the nozzle, and slid right back down the rod just after first motion, and sat there with the back end of the motor puking out low pressure flame and smoke for the entire duration of the burn and delay grain, thoroughly roasting the entire aft end and fins of the rocket... Though he did rebuild it, you still hate to see it happen, have it just sitting there burning and you can't do anything about it...

Still, I have gotten a LOT of really nice flights out of E9's and I'll hate to see that motor go... While it wasn't for EVERY 24 mm motor mount rocket, it was a great performer in the ones it WAS a good fit for (like the Canadian Arrow).

Later! OL J R
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
LOL...I used to get raked over the coals by a certain TRF member when I talked about flash pan ignition for clusters.

Thank goodness this isn't the Terribly Run Forum... OL J R
Old 03-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bernard,

My Star Orbiter flight on an F15 at NSL was my first time to fly one. I became hooked. Since then I’ve boight many more, and all at HL, one at a time. I’m in the process of designing a “Dueces Wild” type of canted motor rocket using F15s. Should be fun.

Randy Gilbert turned me on to e-matches on eBay for clusters. They fit the nozzles of D/E/F motors nicely. I spent $8.50 for 62, free shipping. I’ve only static-fired one to test, they put out a decent flame for about a second or so.

Canted F-15 motors are a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing your Deuces type rocket.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Canted F-15 motors are a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing your Deuces type rocket.

Hi David,

I think a Jesse told me he saw you at the last CRASH launch. I goofed up, and missed the last launch due to scheduling screw-ups. Hope to get to a few in April, as well as some SCORE launches.

I should have the F15 version of the Dueces Wild before too long, and definitely will have my Der Saturn Max ready for its maiden flight at NARAM. It’s getting putties and primered now. I posted a picture in the NARAM-60 thread, but here it is. Should be sporting red and black paint by the time we have some nice painting weather, and decals to follow shortly thereafter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  B90B2DE9-FD9B-402E-B673-A3E8510D338F.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  1.43 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Craftsman

Here is something curious.

AC Supply now has the C11-3 for sale again (maybe they found a bunch in the back of the warehouse?) but with the statement:

"Note: This engine cannot be shipped to California"

Why would no other motor have that disclaimer, including C11-5 and C11-7, but C11-3 does?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Master Modeler

I was just putting together an AC Supply order and saw the same thing......

Very curious.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I received bulk shipments of C11-3s and D12-5s from Belleville Wholesale Hobby almost two weeks ago.

Other than it took nearly three weeks once the order was shipped to get to me everything was fine.

I know that folks have commented on the shipping & handling charges Belleville has one pay but they lost money on my order.

I was charged $25.00 S&H. The USPS postage sticker on the box listed a cost of $27.31.

The owner(s) of Belleville must belong to their city Chamber of Commerce. The order included an historical facts sheet about the city of Belleville.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Master Modeler

I was also was ordering from AC Supply today and saw the same thing. I am not sure how their site works but it did allow me to put 1000 in my shopping cart (not buying that many just trying to figure out how many they have).

Maybe they got the last batch from Estes and there not packaged with required California warning labels?