Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpursley
Woops! I'm going to correct myself...I should have said the spacecraft (meaning the CM/SM combo) of Apollo 4 and 6 were both Block I and they were painted in the colors you see in publicized photos...mostly all silver with a bit of white for Apollo 4 and all white for Apollo 6...but no bare metal (the KSC environment was too harsh for the alloys used to fabricate the honeycomb skins of the SMs). After 4 and 6 flew, the "production" Block II SM's got the silver "painted" cork treatment (the cork served as both an insulator and an ablator for heating experienced during launch as well as protection from the RCS plumes.

The spacecraft (CM and SMs) for both Apollo 4 and 6 weren't "strictly" Block I...both missions had elements of Block II modifications...they were a bit "mongrelized" with true Block II beginning with Apollo 7.

And later Block II's for the Skylab and ASTP were customized as well to save weight. Directional high gain antenna was left on ASTP, but off the rest as was other items like eliminating fuel tanks, less fuel, fewer fuel cells, increasing hydrazine for thrusters, etc. on all of them.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Woops! I'm going to correct myself...I should have said the spacecraft (meaning the CM/SM combo) of Apollo 4 and 6 were both Block I and they were painted in the colors you see in publicized photos...mostly all silver with a bit of white for Apollo 4 and all white for Apollo 6...but no bare metal (the KSC environment was too harsh for the alloys used to fabricate the honeycomb skins of the SMs). After 4 and 6 flew, the "production" Block II SM's got the silver "painted" cork treatment (the cork served as both an insulator and an ablator for heating experienced during launch as well as protection from the RCS plumes.

The spacecraft (CM and SMs) for both Apollo 4 and 6 weren't "strictly" Block I...both missions had elements of Block II modifications...they were a bit "mongrelized" with true Block II beginning with Apollo 7.
Thank you. I knew that the Block I and Block II designations applied to the Command Modules (the main difference being that Block I CMs lacked a docking port and tunnel leading to the LEM [later abbreviated to LM]). I wasn't aware of the cork-over-honeycomb SM skins, but they make perfect sense from the standpoints of thermal & RCS plume protection, and of mass (the LM's mass growth in particular required rather drastic efforts in order to keep all three modules within the Saturn V's translunar payload capability, and even the Saturn IB didn't have a luxurious Earth orbit payload excess).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-08-2016, 09:58 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Thank you. I knew that the Block I and Block II designations applied to the Command Modules (the main difference being that Block I CMs lacked a docking port and tunnel leading to the LEM [later abbreviated to LM]). I wasn't aware of the cork-over-honeycomb SM skins, but they make perfect sense from the standpoints of thermal & RCS plume protection, and of mass (the LM's mass growth in particular required rather drastic efforts in order to keep all three modules within the Saturn V's translunar payload capability, and even the Saturn IB didn't have a luxurious Earth orbit payload excess).

A Saturn IB couldn't orbit a CSM with the full lunar fuel payload... it was too heavy. Of course the full lunar fuel load wasn't required for LEO missions anyway...

Later! OL J R
Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 PM
BAR 13790

Has anyone heard any status about these Saturn V skins?

The original goal was for Christmas - last year....

Thanks

Quote:
After posting here and elsewhere that I will be releasing a skin kit for 1/100 scale Saturn Vs I have received a pleasantly surprising number of responses.

I am currently taking "pre-orders" at $40 up until the "production" kit is released (hopefully by Christmas). Contact me for details if you are interested in the pre-order deal.

An addition to the kit is the use of a printed aluminum skin for the Service Module and Fins (to fit the latest Estes Saturn). This is not "chrome" Mylar, silver ink printing, or a "metalized paper, but actual aluminum that is a bit thicker than traditional "foil" to resist "dings" and "crinkling" and it is adhesive-backed like the printed poly skins in the kit. I will also provide decals for the (non-aluminum colored) surfaces of the SM including the radiators, white panels, and the "UNITED STATES" and American flags which are on white backgrounds. I may also provide the fin markings though they would be identical to the Estes fin decals.

Just in case one might not like the metal skin for the SM I am including a "conventional" printed poly sking for the SM.

I am still working on the prototype Saturn with the skins (it is for a special customer who has waited months to get his Saturn...I'm not selling it for those who might ask) and until things are finalized there won't be photos or the like...you may ask, but until things are "final", no photos. That's a whole can-of-worms that I opened on past projects that I want to avoid on this one <G>.

Also started preliminary work on a 1/100 scale Little Joe II skin kit that will include the SM markings for the various LJII missions as well as the "metal" skin described above for the body and fins. I won't have it ready any time before LATE January or later...but feel free to contact me about it.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:37 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Has anyone heard any status about these Saturn V skins?

The original goal was for Christmas - last year....

Thanks

Last I heard from John in August was the following:

"The whole Saturn V skin kit thing has ground to a halt. Have most of the medical issues down to once a month trips back to Houston BUT have picked up (or more correctly, renewed) previous “real rocket” activities which REALLY makes the Saturn V skin project an “up in the air” prospect."

You should be able to contact him directly via the Accur8 site to see if status has changed.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 11-25-2017, 07:59 AM
BAR 13790

Actually, I've sent him several emails and asked questions via posts with no response, although he has responded when I've asked about other wraps.

Meanwhile, he collected money for pre-orders and now the project is up in the air?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I NEVER put money down on "pre orders" due to situations just like this.
If it isn't ' in stock' you get ZERO $$$$ with NO exceptions.

ALWAYS Under-Promise and Over-Deliver !
ANYTHING short of that is always an unacceptable excuse.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Default No Comminications with you for at least 90 days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Actually, I've sent him several emails and asked questions via posts with no response, although he has responded when I've asked about other wraps.

Meanwhile, he collected money for pre-orders and now the project is up in the air?

Les,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head when ou stated you asked questions via posts. Well, I don't generally conduct business via posts on forums and...I admit...I may only visit ANY forum on once or so every several months. I have also not received any notifications from YORF regarding posts on this matter from you or anyone else in a number of months.

I also think that perhaps you are confusing eBay orders you have made from me and your communications abut those orders through the eBay messaging regarding those orders. eBay has nothing to do with the Saturn V skin project.

I have checked through my emails the past 90 days and I have received no emails from you regarding the Saturn V skin kits. Knowing full well the possible shortcomings of email and perhaps overzealous filtering, blocking, etc., that's not to say that you haven't sent me emails...just that I haven't seen them either to my recollection nor by my emails of the past 90 days. I typically respond to all business emails (and personal ones, for that matter) within a business day.

My Accur8 email is: johnpursley@accur8.com . If for some reason you (or anyone else) don't feel you are "getting through" to my business email, my PERSONAL email is johnpursley@msn.com . I absolutely do not "dodge" emails from customers nor intentionally NOT respond where a request is relevant.

Please contact me at either of these email addresses if you have specific questions about the Saturn V skin kits that I don't answer for you here. I have specifically just added you to my contacts for both email addresses to assure that any future messages from you aren't unintentionally blocked. I don't know what else I can do.

Having said that...

The Saturn V skin kits are pretty much on "hold" for a variety of reasons though I have not abandoned it. I am getting back on track with things but I still can't commit to an actual delivery date. I apologize for any inconvenience and for my letting folks who pre-ordered down, but I have offered all that have communicated with me alternatives to the Saturn V skin kits...including full refund on request. Needless to say, I am a bit embarrassed that I haven't delivered but also don't want to "take your money and run." If there is anyone out there who pre-ordered the Saturn V skin kits that haven't already been in touch with me, please feel free (I encourage you) to contact me. I spite of what has been implied by posts here, I DO IMMEDIATELY RESPOND to all relevant emails I receive.

John Pursley
Accur8 Spacemodels
johnpursley@accur8.spacemodels
johnpursley@accur8.com
Old 11-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Old BAR

All my dealings with John, both through his eBay offerings and personally have been absolutely top notch. His skin kits are first rate, and I actually have quite a few. I can hardly wait to do his Ragnarok rendition. He has always delivered and has been extremely helpful with any questions I have had (my needing some advice, especially).
Thanks to John for a first class product! It's obvious he really cares about what he produces.

Allen
Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 PM
BAR 13790

John has contacted me.

As an FYI, I looked at my email records and saw that I emailed him about the Saturn V skins in May and again in June. On YORF I posted a question on the status of the Saturn V skins when there was a posting about the 50% off sale in September. Who knows, spam filters or whatever may have blocked my messages

Regardless, my main interest is getting the Saturn V wraps. Every year at the beginning of June the Kopernik Observatory holds a "Rocket Fest" and they ask me to bring some of my rocket collection to display. I definitely want a good looking Saturn V out there, especially in 2019 for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. I believe I'll get my best results using the wraps. I'll still wait.

And I agree about the quality of John's work. I already have 2 versions for the Interceptors, MR (including the fins), LJII, GT (BT80 size), Trajector, and Cosmic Interceptor....