Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default AstroCam Photos

I was finishing my Estes Saturn V today and rummaging through my range box when I came across these photos. They're from a modified AstroCam. Well, actually, just the camera portion. The rest of the rocket was scratch built based on plans in an old issue of either Model Rocket News or Sport Rocketry.....I can't remember which . But I thought they were pretty cool at the time...nearly 10 years ago when I was flying with the COSROC chapter in Colorado Springs. But, I guess they're kinda dated now with birds flying 35mm and digital cameras. Still like looking at the staging though......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Staging.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  119.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Staging 02.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  113.1 KB  
Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 PM
BP Mafia

Are you kidding? The only picture I ever pulled from our AstroCam that was identifiable was of a curb and some grass near B6-4 Field. I'd take these in a heartbeat.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Very cool. The only astrocam pics I tried came out over exposed.

I passed your pics through Photoshop CS2 to play with some of the new features. Thought I'd share the results. I could probably clean up the first pic more with a lot more time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Stagingpost-ps.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  82.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Staging-02post-ps.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  113.6 KB  
Old 05-31-2005, 09:48 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3

I passed your pics through Photoshop CS2 to play with some of the new features. Thought I'd share the results. I could probably clean up the first pic more with a lot more time.

That first image is just classic. Beautiful drop-away shot, no smoke to get in the way.

Shame Estes never came out with a 35mm version, or just a better trigger-shutter mechanism for this one.

Craig McGraw
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3

Thanks! Photoshop works great. Looking at the pics makes me want to dig the rocket out and fly it this weekend (too bad I won't be here). But maybe for Father's Day Weekend. Hope I still have the instructions for operating the camera. Can you still but 110 film.......
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
That first image is just classic. Beautiful drop-away shot, no smoke to get in the way.

Shame Estes never came out with a 35mm version, or just a better trigger-shutter mechanism for this one.

Craig McGraw

What I like most about the first photo is the shadow of the smoke trail on the ground. Gotta like all the smiling faces in the second photo....
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Thanks! Photoshop works great. Looking at the pics makes me want to dig the rocket out and fly it this weekend (too bad I won't be here). But maybe for Father's Day Weekend. Hope I still have the instructions for operating the camera. Can you still but 110 film.......

Yes. They had it cheap at our local Meijer the last time I checked. If you can't find it anywhere near you, check with some of the online photography sites.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Out To Launch

Came across this one while moving. It was taken with an original AstroCam 110 that had the string shutter release. I still have the camera and fin unit, but not the launch vehicle. I know I had more, but since this was taken somewhere around '84 to '86 I have no idea what happened to them. Like Eagle 3's they were all slightly overexposed. This shot is the back lot of a construction company that was right across the street from my old high school's baseball field (read "launch range" ). I remember at the time that I thought it was just the coolest thing to be able to snap a photo with a rocket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  astrocam1.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  24.8 KB  
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net

Last edited by Tweener : 06-10-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone

Yep, I still use my Astrocam occasionally.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Master Modeler

Default Dug out the rocket....

Dug out my scratch built AstroCam 2-stager the other day. It still had film in it from my last launch nearly 10 years ago! Only shot halfway decent. Don't know what happened but I hope this shot wasn't during staging.....

Took some pictures of the rocket but since I still live in the days of 35mm, will have to wait till the film is developed to post. In the mean time, I'll pull out some of my old Sport Rocketry magazines and see if I can find where I got the plans from.....assuming anyone is interested in flying 110 film.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Staging 03.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  136.3 KB