Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
GET GOONY!!

Default Built-up kit buy

I purchased a box full of built up rockets from the 1980's-1990s today. Even though these are a bit newer than what I usually like, the guy works the local garage sales, and I want him to bring his rocket finds to me. In the attached picture are:

Alpha 3, Mini Shuttle, Airborne Surveillance Missile , Scout II, Scamp,Sting Ray, Antares,Black Brant, Nova Payloader, Searcher, Sizzler, Ranger, Scrambler 2, Space Shuttle Columbia, Nebulon Warrior, Firecat, Shuttle Stack, Marauder, and Star Seeker.

All of the rockets are flyable except the following: Scrambler 2 has no nosecone, the Sizzler has a wicked (terminal?) zipper, and the Ranger has had the tube crushed, but I may try to save it.

No old motors ....

A neat pile o' rockets....

Ph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  builtupbuy01sm.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  94.9 KB  

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Fred................nice lot. I have bought a few such on Ebay over the years (though none as large as that one). I buy them when they have restorable old rockets (you can usually tell when they are old from some of the other items that are in the lot, such as an Electrolaunch). I really enjoy the challenge of breathing new life into some of these old birds that I had (or wished I had) as a kid. The ones that I don't restore are taken to the launch field for demonstration launches and are often given away to kids who attend. A really inexpensive way to make a kid's day!

Joe
Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 AM
7/21/61

Fred,

Nice lot.

I just ordered some Mars Lander decals from you for a similar restoration project of mine. I never used to have any interest in built rockets until I got a truly beat up Estes K-22 V-2 with some other stuff I bought. I don't know what prompted me to want to restore it but it was surprisingly satisfying bringing it back to life. A very different kind of challenge from building new kits, or repairing my own damaged rockets. I've now done the same with several others and find them as gratifying to fly as my own original builds.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
GET GOONY!!

Hey, I understand.... the Ranger in the photo has had the tube crushed. It appears to have been stepped on.... Rather than parting it out, I just ordered coupler stock from BMS to shove down it's throat and re-round it! It is D powered, so that shoukd not affect performance.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Hey, I understand.... the Ranger in the photo has had the tube crushed. It appears to have been stepped on.... Rather than parting it out, I just ordered coupler stock from BMS to shove down it's throat and re-round it! It is D powered, so that shoukd not affect performance.

Phred

Yeah....gotta love that coupler stock from BMS......
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I think the Scrambler:2 and the Marauder used the same nose cone....possibly you could "share" it.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
GET GOONY!!

Yes, I have found out tahtthey do. However,a s the NC is extremely close to the currently available black PNC60 ogive, I just popped one on and it looks great!

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

I'm jealous ... .. nice lot of mid-late 80's stuff there. ( how come I never find anything liek that, only garage sale rockets I found in 30+ years was a Sat8urn V and a 1227 HoJOP ( lady said they had dozens in the AM, I got the last 2

anyways, few comments ( did you expect less )

- the Firecat in there is one of the long - lost plans not posted anyplace online, so basic dimensions / fin tracing ,etc would be great

- Love the Scrambler 2, I have a clone done except paint, printed the decals on white and clear paper, hoping to cut the white sections to apply over the clear, will post how it works out ( this is one I might have asked about decals fror, so now you own the kit, lol :-)

- Sizzler would be real easy to splice at the balc paint joint, cut it off, tie some kevlar around a coupler and splice in new piece, paint black .

- The Marauder is the one I need a decal for - you might recall , might not, had ordered Marauder decals off your site, and got the old Cold-Power Marauder ( ala Polaris ) decals.
need the roll pattern on the transition from the Marauder you have in your hands ( lost payload now rebuilt, but no decal ) .

All in all a good find, vintage or not, I'd love to find same, few birds in there I have in the que or already cloned, and they appear well-done, too .

~ AL
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
GET GOONY!!

I ALMOST really like the Maurauder.... the basic design is interesting, the decals are sorta Centuri-like.... but those fins!! Ugh!! Just a plank cut at an angle? What the heck were they thinking???

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...85/85est24.html

The Sizzler not only has a zipper, but a big bend/crunch just above the fins. I haven't done it yet, but I may trash it.

The best part is that the guy I bought them from works all of the local garage sales with two buddies... they are all 3 now looking for rocket stuff for me, while I am at home!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
- the Firecat in there is one of the long - lost plans not posted anyplace online, so basic dimensions / fin tracing ,etc would be great

Actually. . . . .

http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1378/est1378.htm