Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
BAR

Default Sky Dart Decals

Not sure if this is the place for this question, but here goes.

I'm restoring a vintage Sky Dart of my brothers'; I've sanded down thick layers of paint and filler; lightly filled in imperfections and sanded & repainted. Now for the decals; There are the redrawn decals on this site, and the scanned decals on jimz. I haven't been able to get the color as light as I'd like it on the scanned decals Scanned Decals , the redrawn ones look more color accurate Greg's Redrawn decals . However, the redrawn decals print on an 8.5x11" sheet, and I'd like to get 2 or 3 copies of these on one decal sheet. I can do this with the jimz decals, since they are a JPG.

As Greg's redrawn decals are in an 8.5 x 11 PDF, I'm not sure how to get 3 prints on one sheet; any suggestions?

Thanks!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Master Modeler

Photoshop can handle that task, but I don't like that program for drawings. It has a tendency to "fuzzy" up the graphics. A better vector program like Corel or Illustrator might work better.

I might take a day or two but let me see what I can do.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Master Modeler

Ok, that was easy. I've got the original .AI file if you'd rather.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Skydart decals replicate.pdf (94.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Master Modeler

Yes, the correct answer is to open the file in Illustrator (or CorelDraw) and rearrange/duplicate the elements as you wish.

On the redraw I did the "blue" elements are 100% cyan and 50% magenta with no yellow or black. I often adjust that when printing to take into account the actual printed colors (which depends on the type of printer).

Here is a PDF with three of the complete decals on one sheet.

EDIT: Oops, looks like foose4string beat me to it. But here's another file with the blue elements set to 100% cyan and no other colors.

Like I said though, in order to match the original it really depends on the printer. 100% cyan on an Alps printer is very different than 100% cyan on a laser or inkjet printer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sky Dart Decal.pdf (38.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf Sky Dart Decal 100C.pdf (38.7 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by kurtschachner : 02-26-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
BAR

Wow, that was fast; Thanks Kurt, thanks Foose! Since I don't have Corel or Illustrator, this is a big help. I will try these out this weekend, the model is ready. I'm using a Canon Inkjet photo printer on experts choice decal paper. I'll post pics when I'm done.

You guys just made my day
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Craftsman

Hmm, might have to try to size and print those decals out for my BT-70 based version that has become one of my favorite 'smaller' gliders......
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Master Modeler

For future reference, you might take something like that file that appeared to fill an entire sheet of paper, and try printing it out with your Page Setup (computer application setting) and Printer Paper Size (setting on your printers control panel or in print driver) set to different sizes.

For example, I took the Goblin decal file, told the printer and application that I was using an envelope, fed the printer an envelope, and voila, properly sized decal image which only took up about 1/3 a sheet of paper. If I cut decal paper into thirds and fed that in, instead of envelopes it would work perfectly. I only used the envelope for a test, because I was too lazy to cut up a sheet of paper, and it was handy.

Most printers have a dizzying array of paper sizes available.

I imagine that there are some files/applications, which will insist of either having a full sheet of white space around the image, or will want to reduce the image size for the paper size, but so far I have not run into that when printing decal images.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
... I'll post pics when I'm done...
As promised, here is the final restoration. The 100% cyan decals from Kurt seemed to look the closest to the catalog pics when printed on my canon, I think they turned out nice. And I have two extra sets now, for when I build a clone. Thanks again guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyDart01-LoRes.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  60.2 KB  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
As promised, here is the final restoration. The 100% cyan decals from Kurt seemed to look the closest to the catalog pics when printed on my canon, I think they turned out nice. And I have two extra sets now, for when I build a clone. Thanks again guys.

Very nice Paul. You do good work.