Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
"older" but "wiser" Rocketeer

Default Centuri IRIS Nosecone and BT

I recently bought a bunch of old plans and partial kists from ebay. I have most of the parts, fins, etc. for the Centuri IRIS , but need help on the nosaecone and BT length, anyone have those? I wnt looking at JIMZ and YORS but no info on NC and BT.
Does SEMROC have them?

Ron
Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bianchi
I recently bought a bunch of old plans and partial kists from ebay. I have most of the parts, fins, etc. for the Centuri IRIS , but need help on the nosaecone and BT length, anyone have those? I wnt looking at JIMZ and YORS but no info on NC and BT.
Does SEMROC have them?

Ron

I used the BNC-848 and ST-8120 for my clone.

Our own SEL provided some notes back in 2003:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
The Iris (KC-14) was available from 1967 thru 1974.
The plans shown here are for earlier 60's version with balsa BC-89
nose cone. By 1971, the kit was packaged with the plastic PNC-89.
Not unexpectedly, dimensions listed in Centuri's catalog varied slightly
from the actual kit. Thanks to Mike Ewald for providing the two sets of
measurements shown below from his kits.

Main Body tube: ST-8 Old: 11-5/16" New: 11-3/16

Nose Cone: Balsa BC-89 5" Plastic PNC-89 4-5/8"

Chute: Twelve inch

Fins: Pre-printed 3/16" balsa (Fin root should print out to
2.6" long.)

Use standard motor mount and launch lug.

Note: The motor strengthening bands on the Iris pattern sheet can also be
used for 2 of the bands on the Centuri Honest John.

sel 01.25.03
selannan@yahoo.com

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Apollo Nut

I have a balsa cone version, opened, but unbuilt. Got this one off ebay earlier this year, and while it is 'complete', the body tube was badly damaged and the nose cone some what 'knocked' around (but useable).

The demisions in this kit are fairly similar on the tube, but somewhat different than the earlier post on the nosecone length:

BodyTube: 11 9/32 (just a smidge more than 11 1/4)

NoseCone: 5 12/32

The tip of my nosecone (some of the 'knocked' around condition) has been damaged, so the very pointy tip is gone, but if 'eyeballed' on out against my steel rule, the missing section would figure to be that last 3/32 of an inch. The real IRIS had a v-e-r-y long tapered nosecone, and the original balsa cone in the Centuri IRIS attempts to replicate this. The plastic cone replacement beginning in the early 70s (as noted by the previous poster) would be somewhat shorter and not quite as tapered as the balsa version.

I've attached a couple quick pics of the nosecone and instruction sheet.

I have made final arrangements for the receipt of the very first version of this kit (a 1968 vintage kit) and will measure the tube and cone of it when it arrives in a few days.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri IRIS Cone-0255.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  82.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri IRIS Inst-0256.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  126.3 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have a balsa cone version, opened, but unbuilt. Got this one off ebay earlier this year, and while it is 'complete', the body tube was badly damaged and the nose cone some what 'knocked' around (but useable).

The demisions in this kit are fairly similar on the tube, but somewhat different than the earlier post on the nosecone length:

BodyTube: 11 9/32 (just a smidge more than 11 1/4)

NoseCone: 5 12/32

The tip of my nosecone (some of the 'knocked' around condition) has been damaged, so the very pointy tip is gone, but if 'eyeballed' on out against my steel rule, the missing section would figure to be that last 3/32 of an inch. The real IRIS had a v-e-r-y long tapered nosecone, and the original balsa cone in the Centuri IRIS attempts to replicate this. The plastic cone replacement beginning in the early 70s (as noted by the previous poster) would be somewhat shorter and not quite as tapered as the balsa version.

I've attached a couple quick pics of the nosecone and instruction sheet.

I have made final arrangements for the receipt of the very first version of this kit (a 1968 vintage kit) and will measure the tube and cone of it when it arrives in a few days.

Hope this helps.

Also remember, Centuri was notorious for parts substitutions, and for not absolutely matching their "stated catalog" dimensions over the production life of their kits. As an example, Sean's notes illustrate two different tube lengths, neither of which were catalog-listed items even during Centuri's "glory days". When Centuri changed from balsa to plastic, the length of the nose cone changed.

Carl stocks quite a number of turned components to try to match what Centuri offered in their catalogs, but when you have a constantly-moving target, you will never get it 100% accurate. For my clone, I used the closest match of tube and NC to what the kit would have used. If I wanted to get it "spot-on", I would trim the tube length, and still use the BC-848, which is only 0.20" short of the 5" original length (which does not currently exist in Carl's list). Leaving the tube at 12", the final length of the clone is close to the original catalog length.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I used the BNC-848 and ST-8120 for my clone.

Our own SEL provided some notes back in 2003:

Yikes!! Was it really 2003? Seems like only yesterday...

S.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Master Modeler

With the 6 mm Quest MicroMaxx motors, it should be possible to equip a Centuri Iris (or the Semroc "Retro-Repro" version of this kit) with a scale version of the finless, "slip-fit," clustered 7-motor Iris booster. (The booster can be seen with the Iris here: http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/iris.html and http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/iris.htm ). The full-scale Atlantic Research Corporation Iris sounding rocket was a slowly-accelerating, end-burning vehicle (like the company's Arcas and Arcon rockets) and was launched from the 4-fin tower at Wallops Island, Virginia.

The booster burned out very quickly and separated before the Iris exited the tower, and it flew out behind the sustainer. Depending on the MicroMaxx motors' thrust duration, a scale model of the "full-up" Iris with booster might--or might not--require ballast mass in the front end of the Iris sustainer to make the combined components aerodynamically stable while the booster is attached.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bianchi
Does SEMROC have them?

Ron

Ron,

Did you happen to get the Scale Data that came along with the IRIS kit ?

If so, I would really appreciate it if you could scan the data and e-mail me a copy . . .

Thanks, in advance !

Dave
Ec2cDave@aol.com
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Ron,

Did you happen to get the Scale Data that came along with the IRIS kit ?

If so, I would really appreciate it if you could scan the data and e-mail me a copy . . .

Thanks, in advance !

Dave
Ec2cDave@aol.com

I have an original and can probably scan it sometime in the next couple days. However, if you want an original one (somewhat pricey), there is one listed as a 'buy it now' on ebay, for something like $14 (told you it was pricey...). But, just in the event you want a pristine one, it's there on ebay (been listed for several months now with no buyers).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have an original and can probably scan it sometime in the next couple days. However, if you want an original one (somewhat pricey), there is one listed as a 'buy it now' on ebay, for something like $14 (told you it was pricey...). But, just in the event you want a pristine one, it's there on ebay (been listed for several months now with no buyers).

Earl

Earl,

When you get the chance, I would love to get a copy of that from you.

That item on ebay is pretty pricey !

Dave
Ez2cDave@aol.com
Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Hmmmmm....

Is there scale data out there on the IRIS that goes beyond what's available in Alway's ROTW?

I got this pic a while back. I have no idea where it came from, but it is an IRIS at Goddard in Maryland.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IRIS at GSFC Rocket Park - Small.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  329.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IRIS_108.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  262.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IRISwithNASAdata.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  368.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IRIS - Color - Small.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  85.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IrisFull.pdf (32.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by GregGleason : 10-26-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Graphics failed on first try (too big)