Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Thanks, guys.

Here's a picture of the Arcas, against a darkening Texas sky, ready to launch with decals kindly provided by Bill E.

Other than a Rescue Interceptor that has come to a screeching halt for lack of tip tanks, I'm out of rescues. Pretty slim pickings on eBay lately and I've been busy learning about glide-back recovery.

I have a Scout launch with my nephew coming up in September and of course, we have October Skies in early October that usually brings out my family so I'll post some Rescue launch pictures soon.

Hey, those decals look pretty decent. I was afraid they'd be yellow against the white paint, although my Green Hornet home-brewed decals from the same ancient sheet of paper looked pretty good as well.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
They're harder to come by these days. It's like a rusted out Roadrunner with Swiss Cheese frame rails. People thing their junk is going to finance retirement. That collection of folded, spindled and mutilated birds on Ebay is the perfect example.

And you can buy brand spankin new OEM spec frames, body panels, dashes, and everything in between for that Roadrunner. The only thing missing is the VIN (and you can get them made too). Just like buying rescue rockets, sometimes the price and the effort to restore are not worth having a vintage rocket vs. a recreation with new parts.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
And you can buy brand spankin new OEM spec frames, body panels, dashes, and everything in between for that Roadrunner. The only thing missing is the VIN (and you can get them made too). Just like buying rescue rockets, sometimes the price and the effort to restore are not worth having a vintage rocket vs. a recreation with new parts.

For me it's not about cost. It's about restoring an old ( sometimes 50 years old ) bird that probably should have gone to the scrap pile and getting it back in the air.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Agreed!

I won't pay more for a Rescue than it would cost to clone. The rescue is more about giving it another 50 years. I also try and leave as much as possible original but don't hesitate to fix or paint what needs fixing or painting. More restoration than care-taking. Besides, I like the challenge and it gives me skills to repair my own builds when they have an "incident" in flight or in the hanger.

The other thing is I'd probably pass on something other than a "scale" rescue as I have already more or less reconstituted my childhood fleet.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 08-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
They're harder to come by these days. It's like a rusted out Roadrunner with Swiss Cheese frame rails. People thing their junk is going to finance retirement. That collection of folded, spindled and mutilated birds on Ebay is the perfect example.

I had 4 racks of old classics at NARAM in Pueblo , not one person asked me about them. They were actually there for the taking to anyone who was interested in them.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I'll post my list later - there aren't as may good deals as there used to be, but I still keep looking.

S

Ok, so it's 4 years on, and I still haven't made a list but here's a photo of a few (not all of these are rescues):
From the left: A Centuri Astrobee 350, Estes Mars Snooper, Estes Aerobee 300, RDC Cardinal, Estes Alpha III, Estes Alpha and on the far right a Centuri Groove Tube. The CMR Robin and Humpty Dumpty egglofters in back are not rescues, nor are the Estes Constellation and Custom Elite egglofter. The only 2 that I didn't need to do any restoration on are the Astrobee and Groove Tube. I'll post repair details later, but as someone else here mentioned, I don't try to rebuild these into Catalogue showpieces. I like the idea of bringing them back to the 'as built' condition, the way I think they would have looked when originally finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rescues_Small.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  242.1 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 09-18-2018, 04:05 PM
BP Mafia

Default My latest eBay haul

I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw this eBay listing, but I think there were only two bids made, so I'm not sure anyone saw much of interest in it. It arrived yesterday, and the birds I could identify were the Estes A.S.P. in a non-scale color scheme, an original Estes AstroCam 110 that is missing the decal, an Estes Exocet that's in great shape but for the shock cord, some kind of MPC/Estes hybrid with a dangerous fin can, what appears to have once been an Estes Astron Cobra with a modified fin can and unsealed cluster mount, an Estes Pathfinder, Estes Patriot and a ragged Estes Scorpion, and another scratch build that I spent my lunch break working on last night. It's now in flyable shape except for the shock cord. There's another scratch build that looks like it came out of a Designer's Special, but I'm having trouble getting the pic to load. All need the expected shock cord repair. The Patriot was damaged during packing when it was forced into the box, pushing the plastic fin can of the hybrid through the fin for about 1/2". Pretty easily fixable. At least two of the birds are old enough to employ the two slit shock cord mount method.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Scratch.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  67.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Scorpion.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  79.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Patriot.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  62.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Pathfinder.jpg
Size:  64.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Modified Cobra.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Hybrid bird.jpg
Size:  54.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Exocet.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  46.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AstroCam 110.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  A.S.P..jpg
Views: 59
Size:  52.3 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-18-2018, 05:28 PM
BP Mafia

The final rocket of the assortment. I think this is a product of an early Estes Designers Special. Needs a new pod cone and shock cord, but I like the design. Kind of reminds me of an FSI Excalibur.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Designers Special.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  29.2 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Rat-Rod Rockets ?
Don't like the concept of Rat-Rod (POS) old cars either...

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

That last one looks like the fin units from a Space Shuttle or a Titan III glued to a center tube. The centering rings at the top give them away.

A good collection. The Patriot has potential. Are they going to be painted and fixed up or flown as-is?

A final question; is there film in Astrocam?

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7