Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Craftsman

Default Air Brushing Black Enamel

Short and sweet. I'm getting pretty good with the air brush. I can shoot near perfect gloss whites, reds, grays, yellows, you name it. Using the exact same techniques and preparation, I almost always get some debris in the paint when shooting gloss black. You know, those little flecks of whatever. Is this just me or something to do with gloss black.? I'm thinking I really need to double down on my cleanliness preparation when shooting gloss black going forward.

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Master Modeler

Make sure you clean your airbrush thoroghly. Take it apart and clean everything. Small flakes of dried on paint can get into the paint. Some strain their paint to remove any lumps.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
Not only strain it, but you can also be a filter that goes on the end of your feed tube that goes into the jar.

Are those filters really fine enough to keep out small flecks? The description of them always says they will prevent "blobs of paint from clogging your airbrush."

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Master Modeler

The filters will help to strain contaminants out of the paint. There are filters fine enough to do that. They can be ordered from Micro Mark. I have heard some people even use nylons to strain paint.

But it is also very important to make sure the needle and nozzle of the airbrush is clean and free from contaminants after every paint session. Dried paint can get on the finish of your rocket.

There are paints from various manufacterers that are prethinned for aribrush use. They are ready to spray right from the bottle.

http://www.micromark.com/strainer-f...-of-3,8343.html