Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Who's got the best Orbital Transport decals?

Hi. I am aware of several differnt companies selling reproduction Orbital Transport decals, and they vary greatly in price. Have you tried more than one, so that you could offer a comparison? Which one is the most accurate (the most true to the original Estes graphics)?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Master Modeler

I am only aware of two companies selling OT decals, Tango Papa and Excelsior. Both do great work. I'd be inclined to go with Excelsior since he's a couple dollars cheaper and maintains a presence here on the forum.

Another option is to buy a few sheets of decal paper and make your own. I made the decals for both my OT clone and my 1. 68 X upscale. The blank decal sheets will usually run about about a dollar a piece. You hit them with a couple coats of clear spray( Krylon UV Resistant clear) after they print to seal the ink. Used the drawings found on Jimz plans- the original scans are there too, but I prefer the "clean" version. Just finished the clone a couple days ago as a matter of fact. Both of mine were were done on my HP 7350 ink jet, but they could also be done on a laser printer(you must buy the paper according to printer type).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Orbital-Transport-side.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  82.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-Comparison2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  86.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  OT-upscale-Tail.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  67.5 KB  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
I am only aware of two companies selling OT decals, Tango Papa and Excelsior. Both do great work. I'd be inclined to go with Excelsior since he's a couple dollars cheaper and maintains a presence here on the forum.

I've used both. Definitely go with Excelsior.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Has anyone tried the OT decals from Semroc? The price is much lower, and I have to order some things from Semroc anyway.

BTW, those are nice photos, now I'm excited about doing this project!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronister
Has anyone tried the OT decals from Semroc? The price is much lower, and I have to order some things from Semroc anyway.

BTW, those are nice photos, now I'm excited about doing this project!

Thanks.
I'm not sure the OT decals can be ordered from Semroc....at least, I haven't found a way to add them to the cart yet. There are some parts listed on the website which are simply inventory place holders and I think the OT decals are one such item. But don't take my word, shoot an email and see.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

I can't comment on buying the decals by themselves. I have the Semroc OT and the decals are first quality for sure. Only one note, the Semroc version is slightly different. The "wording" on the Semroc version says "Semroc " where as the Estes version says "Astron" . If you didnt look closely you might miss it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string

Another option is to buy a few sheets of decal paper and make your own. I made the decals for both my OT clone and my 1. 68 X upscale. The blank decal sheets will usually run about about a dollar a piece. You hit them with a couple coats of clear spray( Krylon UV Resistant clear) after they print to seal the ink. Used the drawings found on Jimz plans- the original scans are there too, but I prefer the "clean" version. Just finished the clone a couple days ago as a matter of fact. Both of mine were were done on my HP 7350 ink jet, but they could also be done on a laser printer(you must buy the paper according to printer type).

If you make your own, you can use your graphics editor to give you another color, too. Here is mine in green. I didn't do these, I bought these almost 10 years ago. But I have taken decal images from JimZ site, and used Photoshop to change colors.

I'll agree wholeheartedly with foose on the Krylon UV Resistant Clears (gloss and matte) -- they are excellent for protection of decals. This green OT has turned slightly brown, from using Testors Dullcoat clear. It has been protected from sunlight, but still changed color.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

When I cloned mine about 9 years ago, I used Tango Papa's. The font for the serial numbers on the orbiter's rudder is different from the one used on the booster's, unlike the Estes original. I don't know if he's changed it since, but if you're looking for complete accuracy, Excelsior might be a better choice.

BTW, when Estes rereleased the OT, on their decal sheet the globe on the tail logos is upside down!

Drew
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks. That is really helpful. I did get an e-mail from Carl at Semroc. He told me they can't use the word Astron because it's a registered trademark. He said the item is waiting to be restocked. I love Semroc's reproduction nose cones. I find them very accurate.

Upside down! That's funny! I wonder if they did it on purpose so we would always be able to tell the difference.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The green on that OT looks great.
I'd like to get ones made up in the old "Republic Airlines" medium blue.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !