Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Wow !
That's quite a pile of new builds !
Was the upscaled Orbital Transport a clone of your own "piecing parts together" or was it the Hawk's Hobby OOP upscale kit ?
Never got around to mine and sold the kit so someone else could enjoy it.

It was my own parts. I told Mark (Hawks) at NARAM 54 that I wished I had waited a little longer to cut wood, since I would have rather bought his kit. He offered a set of his decals for it though which I greatly appreciated. Mark and Loretta ran a great business. It was so sad to hear Loretta had passed not long after that NARAM.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
I am impressed, you are busy. I really like the Astron Farside - I had one as a teen but the rocket landed in a irrigation canal like many of my others. We did not have a tree on the place but that canal made up for them.
I have all the parts gathered up to clone one myself.
The bagged kits in the background are better then a child hood hobby shop memory.

Thanks, mind you those are several years worth of builds. I haven't been posting much over that time. Busy busy busy.

The peg board is set up as a reminder of the first hobby shop I bought rockets from. I like being able to display some of my favorites in my collection out where I can see them.

Last edited by Eagle3 : 03-02-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Dry fitting the parts on one of my latest builds, a 1.96x Argus II upscale I'm calling the Argus IV.
DOM plan, http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/eirp_84.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1809.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  286.1 KB  
Old 02-28-2017, 05:14 PM
BP Mafia

I've been thinking about doing another one. Mine died on a wire.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3

The peg board is set up as a reminder of the first hobby shop I bought rockets from. I like being able to some of my favorites in my collection out where I can see them.

That is such a great idea, I should do that for the old original kits I have collected instead of them hiding in a box all the time.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Latest upscale project. A BT-60 Beta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1810.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  408.6 KB  
Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
That is such a great idea, I should do that for the old original kits I have collected instead of them hiding in a box all the time.

Seeing them would definitely help, as opposed to storing in plastic tubs, like I do. I have a spreadsheet listing what's in storage, but sometimes just seeing the package makes me want to build a particular kit.

My spreadsheet lists the tub a particular kit is in, but I missed a few kits when adding the location column. I was digging thru tubs a few weeks ago looking for something, and found a Mars Snooper kit from BMS. Although it's a clone, I immediately pulled it out, with all the recent posts I've seen about K kits. It's been fun so far, but I realized it's been awhile since I've cut out and formed a paper shroud. Thank goodness this kit has laser cut fins. All those small parts (cooling fins) would be terrible to cut by hand. Even the fins look tiny. 😀

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
It was my own parts. I told Mark (Hawks) at NARAM 54 that I wished I had waited a little longer to cut wood, since I would have rather bought his kit. He offered a set of his decals for it though which I greatly appreciated. Mark and Loretta ran a great business. It was so sad to hear Loretta had passed not long after that NARAM.

Is that BT-60 body tube on the large OT? I scratch-built one using BT-60 for main tube, it just needs priming/painting. I got the upscaled decals from Tango Papa. All those wooden parts were really fun to cut!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Seeing them would definitely help, as opposed to storing in plastic tubs, like I do. I have a spreadsheet listing what's in storage, but sometimes just seeing the package makes me want to build a particular kit.

My spreadsheet lists the tub a particular kit is in, but I missed a few kits when adding the location column. I was digging thru tubs a few weeks ago looking for something, and found a Mars Snooper kit from BMS. Although it's a clone, I immediately pulled it out, with all the recent posts I've seen about K kits. It's been fun so far, but I realized it's been awhile since I've cut out and formed a paper shroud. Thank goodness this kit has laser cut fins. All those small parts (cooling fins) would be terrible to cut by hand. Even the fins look tiny. 😀

I have the same system. Spreadsheet with bin locations, etc. I recently dug out my BMS Mars Snooper too, but I haven't started that one yet. Right now I'm working on an upscale SARK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Is that BT-60 body tube on the large OT? I scratch-built one using BT-60 for main tube, it just needs priming/painting. I got the upscaled decals from Tango Papa. All those wooden parts were really fun to cut!

It's a scratch built using BT-60 tubes. Cutting all that wood was a pain, but somewhat easier than the original size. Larger pieces are easier to handle and sand.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Craftsman

I really like the upscale Beta !