Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM
7/21/61

ACSupply is a great vendor.

Of note, if you purchase 8 packs of A8-5's plus a package of wadding from ACSupply, it's still less expensive than Belleville's price for the "24 pack."

Do two sets and you'll get free shipping as well.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector

Plus about $25 shipping for about 50 motors, making them considerably more expensive than AC.

Last edited by tbzep : 03-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Finally! A value added post. I always use A8-5 for school launches because not only does the longer delay deploy closer to apogee, but if there is a bit of wind the extra coast time makes the landing zone smaller and better situated due to weathercocking.

And B4-6.

Jerry

A8-5 usage may be value added, but not Belleville (which you quoted instead of my plea to Estes for bulk A8-5's. Their prices are on par with AC Supply, but they have enormous shipping charges. For what it's worth, I always order A8-5 (3) packs.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
I don't know about AC Supply, but for the rockets, is BMS still offering their school rocket for $5.75 each? I would go with them is they are still available and try Hobby Lobby or even Hobbylinc for the engines.

The Estes Generic E2X is cheaper in bulk ($5.45) than Bill's School rocket kit.

I actually corresponded with Bill several years ago about producing their School rocket kit with a 13mm mount and streamer recovery. It would cost him about the same to produce and it would become an economic advantage over BT-50 size kits for schools on a budget.

It would be the perfect school rocket. The A3-4T is about 25% cheaper and the performance would be perfect for the little BT-50 kit. The fin shape helps prevent landing damage with the faster descent of streamer recovery. I was all set to build a bunch of dedicated fin jigs for the kids if he produced it, but it never came to be. As it is, the E2X is a little taller (therefore cooler to kids) and the white body tubes, plastic fins, and NC don't need paint, which drives up the final cost of the traditional BMS kit even more.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Master Modeler

Randy Boadway has redesigned the ST-8 tubing-based Semroc “Boid” (http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flyi...m-my-boid-ka-6/) to use fiber fins which lock into a slotted body tube and a 13mm mount and set the price at $5.99. So it could be an alternative as well (albeit at a little bit more per model).

For whatever it’s worth.....

That the Generic E2X can easily be flown “nekkid” and easily decorated with markers or whatever is an advantage with kids even though performance is kind of “meh” on an A8 because of its weight.

Of course the Alpha III is designed to not require a finish...but for some reason Estes is really proud of them from a pricing standpoint.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That the Generic E2X can easily be flown “nekkid” and easily decorated with markers or whatever is an advantage with kids even though performance is kind of “meh” on an A8 because of its weight.
It is still light enough that it flies better on an A8-5 than an A8-3 unless it's really windy. That "meh" performance helps us get it back down between the trees on our small school playgrounds.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That "meh" performance helps us get it back down between the trees on our small school playgrounds.

Fair enough!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Craftsman

I received an email from Belleville today with a free shipping deal on some of their bulk rocket packs. However, these are mixed packs of different rocket kits (like 4 each of Alpha, Yankee, and Baby Bertha). I'm not sure you'd want that or 12 of the same kit.

https://bellevillehobby.com/product...clusively-ours/

And if you didn't notice it, they also have a coupon you can print and send in for free shipping on a minimum $100 order. This is good for mail orders only. Not sure why they want to encourage that versus online orders, but so be it.

https://bellevillehobby.com/wp-cont...e-free-ship.jpg