Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
focused procrastinator

Default Delta Clipper question

I was at the hobby shop earlier for some odds 'n ends, and saw the Estes "heat seeker" e2x kit. Ive wanted to clone the Delta Clipper for a long time now, and it looks like its the same nosecone used. Is this the case? and the other issue: where to get the tubing. If someone could answer either point it would be great. thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
BP Mafia

That's one of the 1090 kits that uses that odd RTF nose cone/body tube combination. The plan is here: http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2067/est2067.htm, but short of picking up a bunch of RTF kits, I have no idea on the tube source. I think this has come up in the recent past, but I'm not sure which rocket was in question that time. You might want to do a search for 1090.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
BP Mafia

And according to the nose cone list, they use the same cone.
http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Es...eference_sm.pdf

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

Danny, I have some 1090 tubes and parts. I was going to make a Delta Clipper type kit at one time.

Two cones (one short, one long), a cone cut into a boat-tail, a coupler, slotted body tube cut booster length, slotted body tube for upper stage, unslotted tube for payload section, long slotted tube for a second model, home-made couplers and motor mounts.

If you like you're welcome to them for the cost of shipping. I think everything could fit in a medium Priority Mail box.

Just one of those projects I don't have time for.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Danny, I have some 1090 tubes and parts. I was going to make a Delta Clipper type kit at one time.

Two cones (one short, one long), a cone cut into a boat-tail, a coupler, slotted body tube cut booster length, slotted body tube for upper stage, unslotted tube for payload section, long slotted tube for a second model, home-made couplers and motor mounts.

If you like you're welcome to them for the cost of shipping. I think everything could fit in a medium Priority Mail box.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Master Modeler

I want to clone a Centuri 1/70 scale LJII. You don't happen to have a nose cone, fins, body tube and wrap for that, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's one of the 1090 kits that uses that odd RTF nose cone/body tube combination. The plan is here: http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2067/est2067.htm, but short of picking up a bunch of RTF kits, I have no idea on the tube source. I think this has come up in the recent past, but I'm not sure which rocket was in question that time. You might want to do a search for 1090.
This is one of those kits that, in a pinch, one could use BT-50 or ST-9 or ST-10, and make a pretty durned close facsimile while avoiding the hassle of scrounging HBT-1090. But, since Stefan offered, definitely, Danny should go for it

I downloaded the plans years ago, but have never built a clone...or facsimile I have lots of stagers, and decided that this one wasn't that different from many of the others in my collection, so I've never gotten around to building one. For example, I can fly my Comanche in 2-stage configuration and get a very similar flight.

But it is a good looking, high performance bird, and I don't want to discourage anyone from building it. And, if someone shows up at the range head with a BT-50 version of it, I'd bet money no one will notice it's not HBT-1090.
BTW, At one time, the 1090 nosecones were pretty common (in the Estes 4-packs) but the tubes were quite scarce.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 to what Kurt is asking for.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
This is one of those kits that, in a pinch, one could use BT-50 or ST-9 or ST-10, and make a pretty durned close facsimile while avoiding the hassle of scrounging HBT-1090...

I was thinking along those lines myself -- ST-10 is so close to the 1090 that it wouldn't detract appearance-wise. You'd need a micrometer to know it wasn't 1090. The additional benefit is SEMROC has all of the "standard parts" needed to complete the build.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I was thinking along those lines myself -- ST-10 is so close to the 1090 that it wouldn't detract appearance-wise. You'd need a micrometer to know it wasn't 1090. The additional benefit is SEMROC has all of the "standard parts" needed to complete the build.
Looking at the plans, and at the tubes on the Semroc site, all that's needed for motor tubes is a couple of pieces of ST-9, which should just slip fit into the ST-10, you agree? Or maybe even some BT-50 with a single wrap of paper over it.

That is, since the ST-10 is almost minimum diameter for the prescribed D12 motors, there's no need for centering rings to fit the motor tubes, just some slightly smaller tubing to hold the motors snugly.

I suppose, for a truly austere implementation, one might forgo any inside tubes and just use thick wraps of tape on the motors to fit them directly into the ST-10. But that riles my sense of propriety

Ya know, if you engage me in talking about this enough, I'm gonna end up having to build one

FWIW, I have some of the thick-walled BT-50 tubing. (I think it's LOC 1" motor tubing.) It too might be a good way to go.

FWIW2, I think the TTW mounting of the fins on this kit is superfluous. Normal surface mounting with reinforcing fillets should work just fine and save the builder the hassle of cutting slots and tabs.

Doug

YORF member #11