Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Skyraider Build

My next rocket is the Estes Skyraider. All parts look to be in excellent condition.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks like a good kit to me.
I just assembled a vintage but opened Nike-X from the same "skill level packaging" era that I picked up for VERY LITTLE $$$.
I like building the vintage kits as well; there is something very nostalgic about building something that was packaged 25-35 years ago.
Have an opened K-41 Mercury Redstone and an opened Astron Avenger that are high up in the build queue.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Master Modeler

ghrocketman, there is nothing like the smell of old cardboard and balsa bagged 25-35 years ago. I have the rocket built and will brush on 3 coats of balsa sealer and begin the painting process. This is a large rocket so I have Carl giving me a hand holding my rocket for the picture.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Master Modeler

Well it has been awhile, a lot of rain really set me back on painting this winter. Also I am building my vintage freeflight models and got back into RC airplane kits so I am busy. Also I am frustrated with my rockets, they are turning into hanger queens. For my model airplanes it is easy, build them and go to the park or designated RC field and fly them. Also I belong to to clubs and that makes it easy. Because of my work schedule I can fly my planes when ever I want, and sometimes if I am off I can fly with club members. With Rockets even if you belong to a club, you can only fly on certain days, not good if your schedule is not flexible. A couple of weeks ago I packed up my rockets and drove 2 hours early in the am to fly my rockets in the desert, but it was way too windy, so I drove home for 2 hours. Sorry about the rant but I cannot figure out these tough laws for launching a small rocket. Any way I finally finished my Sky Raider, the decals were old and did not go on smooth as you can tell by the pictures. I applied 3 coats of Balsa sealer to the fins and 2 coats of primer followed by Old Kryon white and red.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks pretty good to me.
I'm getting back into R/C again too.
Never thought I'd do it with all the years flying 2-stroke glow, but I'm buying electrics.
Just far easier.
Still looking into a turbine though....flew 20 years of fast pylon/pattern glow planes before taking a hiatus.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks pretty good to me.
Never thought I'd do it with all the years flying 2-stroke glow, but I'm buying electrics.
Just far easier.
Still looking into a turbine though....flew 20 years of fast pylon/pattern glow planes before taking a hiatus.

LOL! I used to fly R/C electric about 25 years ago when they were starting out (a Gentle Lady with an 05 cobalt electric).

I went to an R/C field and was told by the guy in charge, "We don't allow those kinda planes here." and he was serious!

So I went to a different clubs field. The second club didn't have much good to say about the first guy.

And, scigs30, I'm jealous. I wish I could paint!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks pretty good to me.
Just far easier.

This is incredibly ironic. I've been an electric airplane flyer for over 30 years and one of the reasons rocketry has grabbed me back so hard in the last couple of years is that electric power has gotten to be too easy.

I remember the attitude that sandman talks about....and I find it amusing now that many of the pylon racing types who gave me not a little bit of grief 25 years ago are now all electric too, though one that I know of also does turbines. More recently I'm the guy that was gives "the electric talk" at various clubs in the area, since I've achieved a bit of notoriety in RC modeling circles for being something of an e-power expert. Well, that's what they tell me, anyway.

Speaking of turbines - trying to find a place to fly them is like trying to find a field for at least mid power rockets - not easy. Between their speed, their weight and the runway requirements, most RC fields won't work. But they are darned impressive to look at and hear and watch. They ought to be for starting at $2500 a pop (JetCat P60).

scigs, sorry for the thread drift.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Master Modeler

Yes electrics are wonderful and make RC planes a breeze. One cool thing is I built a Sig Cub back in the late 80s and never finished it. I had it all built, covered and painted and then gave it to my Uncle while I tried to meet the ladies. He never did anything with it, but he held onto it and gave it back to me the other day and now I am finishing it. The build and covering is not too bad, but the it was painted with the old Dope in a can spray paint, oh well.
Also I just finished a Great Planes electric Cub.

Old Sig
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Master Modeler

Wow - and what now would be a "vintage" propeller - a wooden Master Airscrew electric prop - among the first non-folding props intended for electric power only applications. And they work beautifully up to about 4500 RPM....after that they get inefficient with those deeply undercambered blades. A friend of mine, Bob Benjamin, had a hand in developing those based on hand-reworked props he sent to the late Fred Jamieson who was the head man at Windsor Propeller Company back then.

They're still perfect for low powered, low RPM geared systems as what appears to be in the ElectriCub.

Looks like your finishing "chops" extend to the covering iron as well as to paint. Nice.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks Bernard, The Electricub was the first RC plane I have built since 1990 and I thought Monokote went on same this time as it did back then. But I keep hearing bad things about Monokote and how it has changed. I bought the Electircub for Cheap when a LHS was clearing out all their kits. Yea, I got back into RC only to find that everything is RTF almost like what Estes was doing a couple of years ago. Luckily Estes came back to reality and their new kits are awsome, I wish RC were the same....man people are lazy.