Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Exclamation Estes Gemini Titan #1978

I'm looking for the Estes Gemini Titan #1978. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Old BAR

A Pre-Damon example is up for auction on Ebay right now, but will end in about 3 hours. Be prepared to spend $150 to $200 or more for it, though!

I realize the one you are looking for is the 'modernized' Estes version from the '80's that is shorter and has plastic display nozzles, but the original design was so much more fun to build (K-21)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=200319562594
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the hint! I would like to have this K-21 version, too... But it's already too expensive for me ($207 some minutes ago). Please let me know if anybody wants to sell a Estes #1978 (or K-21)!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet79
Thanks for the hint! I would like to have this K-21 version, too... But it's already too expensive for me ($207 some minutes ago). Please let me know if anybody wants to sell a Estes #1978 (or K-21)!

You could probably build your own K-21 model by getting the parts needed from SEMROC (or
even BMS) and printing out the instructions from either JimZ or YOR Plans; maybe even cheaper going that route than buying the K-21 on e-bay. Decals can be ordered from Tango
Papa (unless you can make your own).

I was "lucky" enough to buy the PDRocketry kit before they went under, and it's one of my
favorite......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Gemini Titan - 3 Preliminary Pics 043.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  121.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Daves Titan Liftoff.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  66.4 KB  
Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
You could probably build your own K-21 model by getting the parts needed from SEMROC (or
even BMS) and printing out the instructions from either JimZ or YOR Plans; maybe even cheaper going that route than buying the K-21 on e-bay. Decals can be ordered from Tango
Papa (unless you can make your own).

I was "lucky" enough to buy the PDRocketry kit before they went under, and it's one of my
favorite......

Great pictures and great model, Dave!
The K-21 was sold for $257 today. So it's definitely cheaper to clone this thing...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet79
Great pictures and great model, Dave!
The K-21 was sold for $257 today. So it's definitely cheaper to clone this thing...

Agreed. Geez, $257 to sit on a shelf or in a bin somewhere. I built the Damon one with the yellow header back in the day. Thats a lot of green for nostalgia! I hope they are happy! I know I would be. If I'd have that kind of spare cash, I 'd have bid on it, for sure!
However, if all you want to do is experience the build of an Estes K-21 GT-3 and fly it, cloning is the way to go.
Cloning the K-21 is 'easy' compared to the later one you want, though. Unless you had the removable plastic nozzles, of course! Havn't looked, but I inagine you could get a balsa replacement for the nose cone.
Call or email Carl at Semroc; they'll set you up with most everything you need to clone the original for around $25 to $30. Thats around what the PDR kit sold for, I think. It's a much more handsome model when you're done.
Allen
Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Actually,

The guys at BMS have a balsa clone cone. Sirius Rocketry has a blow-molded version. Yes, a clone of a Gemini is in my future as is a MOL and a DynaSoar possibly on a back-dated Semroc Saturn I Block II with extended fins.

Luckily, my wife usually reels in these daydream projects . . . .

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Agreed. Geez, $257 to sit on a shelf or in a bin somewhere. I built the Damon one with the yellow header back in the day. Thats a lot of green for nostalgia! I hope they are happy! I know I would be. If I'd have that kind of spare cash, I 'd have bid on it, for sure!
However, if all you want to do is experience the build of an Estes K-21 GT-3 and fly it, cloning is the way to go.
Cloning the K-21 is 'easy' compared to the later one you want, though. Unless you had the removable plastic nozzles, of course! Havn't looked, but I inagine you could get a balsa replacement for the nose cone.
Call or email Carl at Semroc; they'll set you up with most everything you need to clone the original for around $25 to $30. Thats around what the PDR kit sold for, I think. It's a much more handsome model when you're done.
Allen

Another good feature of the older K-21 Gemini-Titan II kit was/is that with its inward-canted motor mount tubes, it could (usually) fly straight enough and high enough to land safely after an "engine out" lift-off, especially with "C" motors.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-18-2009, 06:11 PM
rocket crazy

If I was to clone this kit,what would I do about the fins.How do they stay on during flight but still are removable? Does anyone sell 60/70 rings also 20/70 or 20/60 for the parachute and stuffer tube?My last question is what about the canted engine mount tubes,custom make or buy somewhere????Sorry about all the questions I always build stock kits and have never done a clone/scratch build so I'm alittle out of my element.Thanks John
Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Well....here's a good place to start....you can get a lot of the stuff here.....

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...Parts.asp?ID=23