Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I LOVE that line about the "Greasey Pork Sandwich, served in a Smouldering Ashtray" line.
It should be followed with "Topped with burning toenails"

I actually used that line of Chet's above on my best college buddy for his 24th birthday.
He had no less than TWELVE 7&7 cocktails over a period of about 4 hours back on his birthday in 1995 during a pub-crawl on Midland Street in Bay City, Michigan. While driving him home his girlfriend had to stop the car for him to BLOW CHUNKS-style VOMIT out the window 3 times, while I followed behind in my Mustang GT. Once we got him home I used the Pork Sandwich/Smouldering Ashtray line on him. He immediately ran to his bathroom and POWR-PEUKED again into his BATHTUB.
It was a total RIOT.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

Bill Paxton was never an astronaut, but he played one on the big screen...

Here is a column I recently wrote for my club's newsletter:

Good riddance, 2016

Several weeks ago, I heard a report that Buzz Aldrin had been evacuated from Antarctica due to a medical emergency. Uh, oh, I thought. This cannot be good. Luckily, he has since recovered.

A few days after that came a report that John Glenn was in the hospital. Unfortunately, he did not survive.

If you thought that an extraordinarily large number of famous or influential people died in 2016, you would be right. And the hits just kept on coming. It has been said that celebrity deaths come in threes; in 2016, they came in bunches.

Here is a selection of a few of the departed which may be known by those who follow rockets and space:

Edgar Mitchell, Apollo astronaut. His crew had been assigned to Apollo 13, but was reassigned to Apollo 14 so that mission commander Alan Shepard could have more training time. Phew!

Donald Williams and Piers Sellers, both Space Shuttle astronauts.

Astronomer Klim Churyumov who co-discovered the comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko which was visited by the European space probe Rosetta.

Simon Ramo, known as the father of the intercontinental ballistic missile, led the development of the Atlas launch vehicle which boosted John Glenn into orbit. He was also instrumental in the Falcon air-to-air missile program.

Andrew Grove, best known as one of the founders of Intel, worked at Fairchild Semiconductor pioneering the creation of integrated circuits. Fairchild parts were used in the Apollo Guidance Computer.

Carrie Fisher, best known for playing Princess Leia in Star Wars, suffered a heart attack on a flight home to Los Angeles and succumbed after days in the hospital. We also lost her castmate Kenny Baker who played R2-D2.

Many of us have sung "Ground Control to Major Tom" while listening to David Bowie in Space Oddity.

Anton Yelchin, one of the promising new faces in the Star Trek reboot series, died in a freak auto accident in his own driveway.

The year also saw the death of polite political discourse and trust in the traditional news media.

This was also the year DARS lost Frisco and HOTROC lost Asa. May both clubs soon find better flying fields.

And may 2017 be a better year for everyone in every way...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Bill Paxton was never an astronaut, but he played one on the big screen...

Here is a column I recently wrote for my club's newsletter:
Snip great column.

Quote:
Fairchild parts were used in the Apollo Guidance Computer.
Fairchild parts were used in several of Doug's computers, too

Quote:
Simon Ramo, known as the father of the intercontinental ballistic missile...
I thought I recognized his name - He was the R in TRW ! So young, too - he was only 103

Quote:
This was also the year DARS lost Frisco and HOTROC lost Asa. May both clubs soon find better flying fields.
I had been told the Frisco field would eventually go away as the area got built up. Regardless, it was a really nice MR field.

The Asa loss is huge - that had to be one of the HPR best fields in the country down there in the river bottom. That's disappointing to hear.
Thanks for sharing that, Bill.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-27-2017, 11:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm not sure I would want my name attached to the Falcon 'missile' in any way, shape, or form. This so-called 'missile' was literally referred to by Col. Robin Olds as a "Piece Of Crap" (replace 'crap' with his actual word, don't wanna get in trouble here).
The Falcon was a dismal failure for the USAF as an air-to-air missile and quickly resulted in the USAF modifying the avionics of their F-4's to use the Sidewinder that was earlier sourced to the USN.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-28-2017, 08:02 AM
TRFugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm not sure I would want my name attached to the Falcon 'missile' in any way, shape, or form. This so-called 'missile' was literally referred to by Col. Robin Olds as a "Piece Of Crap" (replace 'crap' with his actual word, don't wanna get in trouble here).
The Falcon was a dismal failure for the USAF as an air-to-air missile and quickly resulted in the USAF modifying the avionics of their F-4's to use the Sidewinder that was earlier sourced to the USN.

The main.problem is it was designed for use against Soviet bombers. It required a semi cooperative target to be effective. It also had a narrow launch window from the time the pilot began cooling the seeker. Not a problem intercepting bombers being tracked by SAGE radars, but a severe handicap in a tactical engagement. Falcon was already an old missile by the time it was deployed to Vietnam.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM
I do not like Facebook

A tribute from the storm chaser community: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...PS-tribute.html

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Bill Paxton was a very enjoyable actor who played in some of my favorite movies. His kisser is on a poster next to my Apollo 13 pinball machine as I write this. I shall miss seeing his future projects and will cherish his past performances.
Sorry for the thread drift in a previous post; it has been deleted.