Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Master Modeler

Default Richard Hatch, ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Actor, Dies at 71

Richard Hatch, ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Actor, Dies at 71

I am lucky enough to have met Richard twice, both times before the reincarnated BSG. I have his first book , autograph by Richard. He gave me permission to call him 'Rick'. a nickname he detested more than 'Dick' and insisted on being called Richard. I explained I had an uncle named 'Richard' who insisted he be called 'Uncle Dick'. After that conversation. he allowed me to call him 'Rick'. A warm memory!

R..I.P. Richard.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/ric...ies-1201980779/
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Major Bummer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-24-2017, 01:30 AM
BAR

That's sad... He was just a year older than my Dad, who passed back in late October...

Cancer sucks...

I hope that they get to release "Prelude to Axanar"... Richard Hatch's performance as the Klingon "Kharn the Undying" looked really great... I was looking forward to seeing it in large part because he was in it.

This year is sucking as bad as last year when it comes to losing great actors and famous persons...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 AM
TRFugee

His death, along with the lawsuit from Paramount is probably the demise of Axanar
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell
His death, along with the lawsuit from Paramount is probably the demise of Axanar

Which is a shame, because I've watched the preview a number of times on YouTube... Axanar beat ALL the DRIVEL that the Hollyweird studios and no-talent hacks like JJAbrams have been putting out for the last few years. I didn't even go see the last Trek movie, and I'm glad I didn't once I saw the "everything wrong with" video about it on Youtube... I heard it bombed, and deservedly so.

Axanar had the look and feel of what people would REALLY like to see, but the studios won't make. THAT is why they had to kill it with their lawsuit. If all we have to look forward to is more JJAbrams type drivel, then I'm done with Trek, other than reruns of the old stuff... HATE this new CRAP.

Now he's ruining Star Wars as well... way to go Disney!

Later! OL J R
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM
TRFugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Which is a shame, because I've watched the preview a number of times on YouTube... Axanar beat ALL the DRIVEL that the Hollyweird studios and no-talent hacks like JJAbrams have been putting out for the last few years. I didn't even go see the last Trek movie, and I'm glad I didn't once I saw the "everything wrong with" video about it on Youtube... I heard it bombed, and deservedly so.

Axanar had the look and feel of what people would REALLY like to see, but the studios won't make. THAT is why they had to kill it with their lawsuit. If all we have to look forward to is more JJAbrams type drivel, then I'm done with Trek, other than reruns of the old stuff... HATE this new CRAP.

Now he's ruining Star Wars as well... way to go Disney!

Later! OL J R

I couldn't agree more. Prelude to Axanar is great and yes, it makes Jar-Jar Abrams stuff look stupid. I guess the studios believe Science Fiction needs to be dumbed-down for modern audiences.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Campbell
I couldn't agree more. Prelude to Axanar is great and yes, it makes Jar-Jar Abrams stuff look stupid. I guess the studios believe Science Fiction needs to be dumbed-down for modern audiences.

The studios have only one thing on their minds anymore-- how to separate some mall rats from $10 bucks of their parents money as quickly as possible.

Later! OL J R
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That's how EVERYTHING is today. How to make short-term $$$ and everything else doomed to be a far distant second place at best.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That's how EVERYTHING is today. How to make short-term $$$ and everything else doomed to be a far distant second place at best.

Yup... OL J R
Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 AM
TRFugee

Just my $0.02, but I think Axanar represented a bigger threat to the motion picture industry than just an infraction against intellectual property rights of a single franchise. It represents a major threat to the current business model and studio system. Now, the studios are an oligopoly that decides what gets produced and what does not. The studios force creators of intellectual property to sell their rights to the studio at a minute fraction of its expected value and movies/TV shows are then produced at inflated prices.

Axanar represents a new business model, where creators make their case directly to the public and the people fund what they want to see produced. Digital technology enablers high quality productions on limited budgets. The big studios lose their oligopoly and the people get to see what they want, not what a small group of stuffed suits decide they can see. I see Axanar is to the studio system what Uber is to conventional Taxis, a new business model that threatens the very existence of the establishment.