Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Not to highjack the thread, but Dave, that's a really beautiful GT-3! How did you get the highly reflective metallic surface................is that some kind of Mylar wrap?

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Full story (well, almost) here:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...ini_titan.shtml
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Master Modeler

Kurt (and anyone else who may have built this model): Did you super detail the engine
section? If so, did you first paint the main nozzle before adding the turbine exhaust,
brace, vernier nozzles & shrouds, etc?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Master Modeler

Default More Progress

Ok, made a little more progress on the Thor - Agena B build; as the pics below shows, I got
much of the engine section detailing done. The turbine exhaust (1/8" launch lug), vernier
shrouds (balsa stock cut & sanded to shape), vernier nozzles (plastic, but not gonna tell you
where I got those -- yet), and wire brace attached to turbine exhaust/upper portion of the
main rocket nozzle. After some thought, I think I'm going to fore go the extra detailing as
specified on Step 16 of the instruction sheet (connector flange, gussets around the turbine
exhaust, and the turbine oil discharge/fuel tank vent wires), although I might change my
mind within a few days .

The last two pics illustrate the clear plastic tubing I found in my stash of spare parts; as you
can see, it fits perfectly over the BT-60 tubing that will have the three clear fins and launch
lug attached. One rule of thought (or advice): When building your models, always save those leftover pieces/scraps no matter what. You'll never know when those leftovers will come in very handy somewhere down the road.

Hopefully, by this weekend I'll be able to start on the sanding/sealing and painting. Hoping
I can have this model ready in time to fly at our club's next scheduled sport launch June 14th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 001.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  75.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 002.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  70.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 003.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  54.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 004.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  42.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 005.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 006.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  53.0 KB  
Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Hooked Badly

Looking good Dave, I can't wait to see it fly.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
Looking good Dave, I can't wait to see it fly.

Thanks, Mikus! Just hope it won't be too windy next weekend; if it is, I may have to stand
down (the launch, that is) and push the launch date the following month. Anything averaging more than 10 - 15 mph on a consistent basis is asking for too much trouble. The
conditions we had during the Challenger Memorial Regional (both sport & competition flights) were almost perfect.

BTW, should the launch be a GO next weekend, I think someone will be there to help you
with the assembly of the RMS reloads you have. I'm thinking of getting an 18mm RMS so
I can fly some of my heavier 18mm size models better than the C6 can boost them.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Master Modeler

Started on the sanding/sealing of the balsa surfaces today. And, for the first time in my
model rocketry "career," I'm using the Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler stuff. I've seen in
many other threads (in this and other forums) the results and smooth finish on the balsa
surfaces using similar products, so I'm going to give it a try. Besides, I've had problems
using the Balsa Filler I get from Hobby Lobby going "dry" from the bottle when I forget to
put the bottle cap on tightly enough (but, then, when I twist the cap on tightly, I have a
heck of a time trying to get it off). The Elmer's Wood Filler looks like it'll last a lot longer
(and doesn't smell so toxic and strong).
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Master Modeler

Got the second coat of the Elmer's Wood Filler applied after light sanding of the first application earlier today. Some pics below.

Will lightly sand the second application tomorrow and hopefully get the base primer applied;
it's been rather windy this weekend to do any spray painting outside.

More later.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 001.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  65.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 002.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  60.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Thor - Agena B (K-28)  Build 003.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  61.1 KB  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I'm thinking of getting an 18mm RMS so
I can fly some of my heavier 18mm size models better than the C6 can boost them.

I popped a SU D21-7 in my Interceptor the last flight out and I'm telling you that if the RMS D24-7 I plan to fly it with next weekend looks half as good... well that bird will never see another Estes motor again.

And now that I've got my Space Shuttle (a.k.a. the Foam Brick of Death) trimmed nicely, I'm going to try a D13-4 in it, if the wind is down. Should be some crazy fun.

Now... tell us about the big-ass Mercury capsule sitting in the background.

Last edited by Mikus : 06-08-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Looked at the pics closer
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Got the second coat of the Elmer's Wood Filler applied after light sanding of the first application earlier today. Some pics below...

Dave,

Tell me you didn't take a balsa plug, apply EWF to the surface, and then scribe all of that lovely detail into it!

Is that going to be a master for RTV?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
I popped a SU D21-7 in my Interceptor the last flight out and I'm telling you that if the RMS D24-7 I plan to fly it with next weekend looks half as good... well that bird will never see another Estes motor again.

And now that I've got my Space Shuttle (a.k.a. the Foam Brick of Death) trimmed nicely, I'm going to try a D13-4 in it, if the wind is down. Should be some crazy fun.

Now... tell us about the big-ass Mercury capsule sitting in the background.

Oh, that's the 1/12 scale Mercury capsule kit that use to be available (sold) by accur8.com's
John Pursley. I've had it sitting in a box for nearly three years waiting for assembly and thought I'd take it out and do some work to it. It can be modified to use three 13 mm A's
for flight (see Pursley's website/story at: http://www.accur8.com for further details).....