Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Craftsman

I just hope I can remember which white from my rattlecan stockpile I used! (I *think* it was Krylon gloss white, dulled by the Krylon Krystal Clear spray.)

My Rocketreviews.com Gallery
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Craftsman

Default Custom TriStar

My niece asked me if I could come to her school and show off some of my rockets during her class launch. I arrived to find a BUNCH of middle school students who could not wait to destroy their rockets!!
NCs glued on , fins barely attached, teacher had the most rudimentary launch system I had EVER seen!! Didn't say much, just let them do their thing.....
I finally had the chance to show them just how things were supposed to be...
Flew a couple single stagers, a 2 stage, a B/G, I flew my TriStar with a C6-5, They thought that was CCOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!
Never got her back, she thermalled away.
It was(and is) a neat rocket.
Mark T
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Craftsman

My daughter's suffered the same fate on its first flight. It needs a much smaller 'chute. That's one of the reasons I tried mine on a streamer first.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Craftsman

I've been having a h3lluva time with this repair. And what's the problem? Not the re-gluing and puttying and sanding smooth. No. It's the crappy Krylon paints - that's what!

Krylon 'crystal' clearcoat is the worst. The old coat - what wasn't supposed to yellow - is absolutely yellowed. It also flakes off like old sunburned skin when you try to sand it. And even though it and the Krylon white under it I put on months ago came from the same cans I'm trying to use now, they wrinkle and won't bind or coat well when I try to re-apply them over the old stuff. I managed to get acceptable white coats over the repairs. Waited nearly a week and sprayed on the clearcoat, and the new white is alligator skinning under it!

I'm just about ready to throw all my Krylon paint stock in the grabage. No wonder the local K-Mart clearanced them all out and doesn't carry them anymore. This stuff is unreliable trash.

Grrrr.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Old BAR

That just sucks! I know exactly how you feel.
Your experience is an example of why I switched to mostly using lacquer paints and Pledge (Future) clear coats.
Most lacquers play/work with each other nicely.
Dupli-Color filler primer, the 'high-build formula (#FP101), is about the most excellent and consistent primer I have ever used. Sands well and dries superfast. Also, one can spray most 'cool' enamels over it without fear.

Also, sticking with the lacquer theme, color choices abound from the Dupli-Color line. I get my stuff at our local Pep-Boys auto parts store.
Model Master Lacquer Paints are pricey, but work very well, also. I use the 40% off coupons from Hobby Lobby for these. Get it (them) online.
Large volume lacquer needs can only be satisfied if all the colors you want are red, white, and black.
These can be had at most big box stores reasonably. Other lacquer colors in large spray cans, I cannot find.
As with any paints, mixing manufacturers can be risky, so be careful.
However, I have had no problem using the little Model Master lacquers and Rustoleum lacquers together over Dupli-Color primer.

Also, unless all the paint has dried for a month or more, don't leave tape on the model long; it will leave an impression in the paint that you will need to #1200 grit-wetsand before you clear coat with the Pledge. I use it but take it off after my task, usually in a few minutes.

All the Krylon clears suck. There are much better alternatives. I have ruined a few decals with the stuff, so I rarely use it anymore. Just not worth the risk.

Hope this helps!

Allen
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Craftsman

Nice capsule of advice, Allen. Thanks!

I didn't have any problems with masking, since I went with Chris' scotch tape & other masking methods covered at his blog.

Krylon clear seems to be universally regarded as crap by anyone in model-building hobbies. Chris suggested a clearcoat from Michael's, but my area Michael's didn't carry it, unfortunately.

Between rocketry and my other hobbies, I think I'll be venturing into Duplicolor products as soon as budget allows. At least a big can of white...

Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Master Modeler

Well Ray, you now know what not to use on your next build. Have you ever used an airbrush to paint your rockets? Once you get the hang of it, its much easier to control for a better finish on the rocket or model.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Craftsman

I recently got an unbranded Iwata entry-level (from the Chinese manufacturer) airbrush and a compressor, but haven't gotten around to breaking them in or obtaining paints for yet. Lame of me, I know. Getting an airbrush outfit is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Craftsman

Well, I think I'm at a place where I can call it 'repaired'. Here's how it started:

I pieced it back together and filled it like this:

http://oldrocketforum.com/attachmen...achmentid=30536
http://oldrocketforum.com/attachmen...achmentid=30535

Results attached. Luckily, I had a replacement for the vertical fin's number panel from an earlier TriStar we lost to a crosswind when it was flown before finishing. I carefully sanded away the alligator-skinning that appeared in some spots after the clearcoat. What's not apparent in these shots is that the repaired areas are much more white than the areas clearcoated with the "non-yellowing" Krylon so many months ago. There's also some unevenness in the white in the repaired BT area below the wing. Again, it would all have been smooth & perfect if the Krylon clearcoat hadn't sabotaged it so thoroughly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Repaired 1.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  507.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Repaired 3.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  541.9 KB  

Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up