Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Lightbulb WANTED: Estes Scorpion (1333) Info

The scans of the decals on plans.rocketshoppe.com's site are in horrible condition.

I'm looking for a good scan of the decals with a ruler. With info provided to me on NAR's site, I was able to create a decent .ork file image, however, there's a problem. The P

The dimensions of the PRP-1G Plastic Fin Unit that I've been provided are suspect as they result in an overlap of the motor tube (preventing the body tubes from meeting, leaving a ~2mm gap between the stages). I need internal and external measurements of the fin can, including the shoulder dimensions.

I'm also looking for additional info on the fin units used for it (there were two that I can find), and whether or not it ever used the blow molded PNC-50Y nosecone. I know it used the injection molded PNC-50Y, and the earlier PRP-1H two piece injection molded nosecone.

Thanks!

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Not so Junior

Here's the redraw of the decals I sent you previously, now with a closer match on the stencils.

kj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  decal redraw2.png
Views: 30
Size:  230.3 KB  
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
Here's the redraw of the decals I sent you previously, now with a closer match on the stencils.

kj

Oh.... Pretty!!!

All that work I did on my decals is gonna get wasted, cause I've gotta do them over with yours... If you saw mine up close... ugh!

Thanks!

[EDIT] Slight issue... On the fin decals with the box and number 2 in them, the originals read "M1476D2"

[2nd EDIT] I'm finding the redrawn image to be a tad small. For example, I had to enlarge the white ball with the "ERI" 114% to get it to fit the enlarged graphic that I had created using the original plans.rocketshoppe.com decals.

Eric Specht on the NAR FB page measured the length of the white bar with the words "ESTES RESEARCH INSTITUTE" (and the box on the end of it) at 9 5/32" long. Scaled at 100 pixels/inch I had that at 916 pixels. Enlarged 300%, that comes to 2748 pixels (had I gone with 300 pixels/inch, originally, it would have come out at 2747 pixels). The redrawn decal at 300 pixels/inch is coming in at 2676, about 97% of the length he measured.

Can anyone double check the numbers?

Last edited by K'Tesh : 01-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Not so Junior

Oops, I didn't see that when I added the new stencil font this morning. I'll fix that soon.

I redrew the decal over the existing scan, and then resized based on the diameter of the tube. As I did them in inkscape, I can resize based on any given dimension without having to faff around with dpi or percentages. If the white rectangle with square is supposed to be 9 and 5/32" long I can make the entire image scale to that length.

The attached has the changes mentioned above.

kj
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  decal redraw3.png
Views: 11
Size:  234.6 KB  

Last edited by kevinj : 01-03-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
Oops, I didn't see that when I added the new stencil font this morning. I'll fix that soon.

I redrew the decal over the existing scan, and then resized based on the diameter of the tube. As I did them in inkscape, I can resize based on any given dimension without having to faff around with dpi or percentages. If the white rectangle with square is supposed to be 9 and 5/32" long I can make the entire image scale to that length.

The attached has the changes mentioned above.

kj

I downloaded the new file. Looks a lot better! I still kept some of my work in the file, but not all that much (the body wraps). Now all I need is that info on the fin can and the BT-50G, and I can release the .ork file.

As to the scaling issue, I've had that problem before too. I've presumed that a decal is the right length to go around the body tube, but forgot that it had an overlap. Very frustrating when I forget that.

One final suggestion for a change... You might want surround the "Scorpion" name decals in a black box. That eliminates the red border that appears around those decals (they're applied over the black paint). I caught it in my own editor, but being that it's MS Paint, it's pretty crude, and might be easier for someone who is trying to print them for their own build.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Not so Junior

Glad that helped.
The real file I made has no colors, since I'll be using it to drive a vinyl cutter, so I made the version with the red background and no outlines so you could see the white. It's easy to remove the red background if you use something like gimp, or paint.net, or anything better than ms paint to select by color and remove it.

If you want a version with outlines and no red background, I can do that for you.

Edit:
I see what you were talking about with the black box, so here is another version with black around the Scorpion text and I think around the right part of the Estes Research Institute box, although that was probably easier to pick out than the name. I can still provide one with no color background if anyone is interested.

kj
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  decal redraw4.png
Views: 7
Size:  248.4 KB  

Last edited by kevinj : 01-10-2017 at 09:35 AM.