Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Craftsman

Default eBay and rocket engines/motors

Anyone know their official take on why these aren't allowed? I read their whole "prohibited items" list and didn't see anything that jumped out at me (rocket engines are not fireworks...)

They mention "things that cannot be shipped", but engines obviously can be -- with the proper channels.

I bet one could pick up some good deals on engines on eBay if they allowed it...

Like RocketDr. said in another thread -- it's ridiculous they police this so much, when they allow so much other crap to go unchecked...

-Tim
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Launching since 1970.

No average person can ship motors legally. Some retailers can if they go through all the proper procedures to obtain the necessary permits.

One infamous person got a $40,000 fine for shipping motors illegally.

http://www.nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
No average person can ship motors legally. Some retailers can if they go through all the proper procedures to obtain the necessary permits.

One infamous person got a $40,000 fine for shipping motors illegally.

http://www.nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

Now I'm confused... I was under the impression that Estes motors (A-D, possibly E) could ship as long as they were identified as HAZMAT and used special HAZMAT shipping?

Your link says:
Quote:
Shipping regulations for sending sport rocket motors via the U.S. Mail are found in
Postal Publication 52, ÒAcceptance of Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable MatterÓ, Section
341.22a and Appendix 1A. The USPS will accept small sport rocket motors for shipment by
individuals, but only under certain limited conditions. First, they will accept only motors that are
classified 1.4S/NA0323 (30 grams or less of propellant), and that are packaged and marked
appropriately (see below). Second, the shipper must present to their Postmaster a ÒLetter of
AuthorizationÓ, addressed to them personally from the USPS Manager of Mail Preparations and
Standards (475 LÕEnfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC 20260), which authorizes them to enter
these motors into the U.S. Mail. Getting such a letter requires 30-60 days, and requires the
consumer to provide specific information about the motors that he plans to ship, including a
dimensioned drawing and a Material Safety Data Sheet for each motor type. Once it is issued,
the letter of authorization is valid only for 1 year. Estes, Quest, and Aerotech have provided this
technical material to the USPS and have negotiated blanket letters for themselves and their
distributors. They have to provide a complete list of all these distributors to the USPS each year
in order to maintain this authorization.
USPS requirements for shipping small rocket motors are that the motors be in individual
sealed packaging, well-cushioned from shock inside an outer package; that the outer package be
strong and securely sealed fiberboard, no more than 25 pounds in weight; and that the package
be marked ÒToy Propellant Devices, Handle With CareÓ and ÒSurface Mail OnlyÓ with no
HAZMAT labels. The Surface Mail requirement means that the motors must be shipped by
Parcel Post, not Priority Mail or Express Mail. There is no surcharge for sending HAZMAT. If
you are willing to go through the effort of getting the letter of authorization, this is the easiest
and cheapest way to ship small sport rocket motors.

And I know I had motors shipped to me as a kid, but things have likely changed in the last 25 years

-Tim
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
Now I'm confused... I was under the impression that Estes motors (A-D, possibly E) could ship as long as they were identified as HAZMAT and used special HAZMAT shipping?

Your link says:

And I know I had motors shipped to me as a kid, but things have likely changed in the last 25 years

-Tim

The postal service allows motors to be shipped if you have the proper paperwork to do so. Each rocket company must submit documentation to the USPS inorder to get authorization to ship motors.

Dealer can obtain the proper shipping documentation from the manufacturer of their particular motors.

Ebay just doesn't want anyone shipping motors on their own.

motors must have the proper placards on the outside of the box, must be packaged properly and must be shipped parcel post, no air shipments.

When you get into the higher (larger) propellant engines, that comes under a different classification.

Like I mentioned previously, you can check on ebay right now, and you find all types of chemicals, fuses, firework tubes and booklets on constructing all sorts of materials. And ebay worries about class C toy propellant devices, doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Craftsman

Perhaps most ironic is that if you google "ebay rocket engines", the first hit is from ebay, saying "Find estes model rocket, engine estes model rocket and rocket kit items on eBay."

Notice that I never mentioned 'model rocket' or 'estes' in my search -- they 're doing that on their own, yet it's for a product that's illegal to sell on eBay

-Tim
Old 09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Master Modeler

The problem being is there moderators don't have a clue about a model rocket or plastic model.

They don't really read the descriptions, or look at the piuctures, if they get a complaint, valid or not, they shut down the listing.

When I brought up the issue of chemicals, they said all chemicals were being shipped legally, as for fuse etc, they had no comment.

Like I said previously, with chemicals, fuses and booklets, just imagine what you could come up with, far more destuctive than a little class c toy propellant device.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Old Fogey

Default Rocket Engine Shipping Safety

One of the things we got a large kick out of "back in the day" was a tube of rocket engines (the OLD convolute wound 1"+/- heavy card tube) that was returned by the Post Office (postage due, of course) that had gotten stuck in the conveyor machinery. The belt, wheels, or whatever, had ground halfway through one of the engines, (including halfway through the propellant grain) with no ill effects to anything other than the engine.

WMS (Father, Mother, and midwife of the SPEV)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer

Would you please give the history of the development and production of the SPEV?

Bob
Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
One of the things we got a large kick out of "back in the day" was a tube of rocket engines (the OLD convolute wound 1"+/- heavy card tube) that was returned by the Post Office (postage due, of course) that had gotten stuck in the conveyor machinery. The belt, wheels, or whatever, had ground halfway through one of the engines, (including halfway through the propellant grain) with no ill effects to anything other than the engine.

Just amazing what can be done to motors with no problems.
There was a book published by Estes years ago (green cover) that explained all of the testing that went into motors, onlt to prove how safw they are, maybe ebay and the usps should read a copy.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Master Modeler

I had a crazy rocket friend one time throw a motor into a campfire once..It didn't do anything,right away...we forgot about it til about 10 minutes later when it finally cooked off! Took 10 minutes in a campfire to burn away the cardboard casing and ignite the BP!

I have bought a couple of starter kits off E-Bay where the seller didn't remove the motors and shipped them to me that way...shhhhh!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!