Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 06:47 AM
GET GOONY!!

Default QUEST big BP motors?

Has anyone hard anything lately about the big (28-29mm) BP motors that Bill Stine presented at NARAM 50? I built a BT-70 upscale Sky Raider for them , but haven't heard anything in a while. I am itchin' to fly.....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Has anyone hard anything lately about the big (28-29mm) BP motors that Bill Stine presented at NARAM 50? I built a BT-70 upscale Sky Raider for them , but haven't heard anything in a while. I am itchin' to fly.....

Phred

Phred, this is a great question. I too have been waiting for these motors to come out. No word yet.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I hope they don't turn out to be "vaporware" just like the "coming soon" for FOUR+ YEARS 18mm D they were supposed to have.
I really like my composite SU and RMS stuff from Aerotech, but it would be nice to get some larger BP SU stuff that has not been available from a major manufacturer since FSI folded up.

Announcing/cataloging a product that never comes out in my book is extremely irritating.
Noted examples of this in the past include:

Enerjet 18mm D in the early/mid 1970's
Estes Battlestar Galactica Cylon raider kit in 1979
Estes Black Hole Cygnus Probe Ship in 1980 (or 1981 ?)
Quest 18mm D (recently)

Those were the largest examples of this in recent memory by major manufacurers, but none got more hype of "it will be out soon" than the 18mm Quest D.

Actually the first SATISFACTORY and believable explanation of the two never released Estes kits just came in the past few weeks from Mike Dorffler. This only took almost 30 years to get the real story on those two.
That being said, it still does not excuse the fact of a corporation announcing a product that had a chance of NOT making it into users hands.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 AM
GET GOONY!!

I addition to the motors (which will be produced in China), there were about 1/2 a dozen kit prototypes presented as well. This will be quiite a significant investment for Quest, and I hope all goes as Bill planned....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I hope they don't turn out to be "vaporware" just like the "coming soon" for FOUR+ YEARS 18mm D they were supposed to have.

That being said, it still does not excuse the fact of a corporation announcing a product that had a chance of NOT making it into users hands.

The product is rumored not announced. It TAKES 4 years to bring it to market and we should all be thankful Bill is willing and able to both survive that long and capitalize a project with no hope of breaking even for another couple of years if/after it is released.

This is one of those rare moments where my suggested course of action is gratitude, and a bit of support for his commitment to this industry.

Buy some of his other products and attach a note you support his large BP motor project and are voting with your dollars.

Jerry
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The last I heard is that there are production quantities of these large BP motors sitting in a Quest warehouse somewhere awaiting approval. I hope that rumor is true, but that was several months ago. Hopefully we will see them THIS flying season.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The product is rumored not announced.

I know some folks have trouble distinguishing rumors from announcements. Just like a few have problems distinguishing lies they may tell from the actual truth, or readers who sadly cannot tell the difference.

So, photos below:

Photo of the “rumored” large Quest kits announced at NARAM-50 (Designed by Scott Branche).

Photo of the “rumored” D-E-F engines in a brochure “allegedly” handed out at NARAM-50.

Bill Stine with one of those “rumored” engines in his hand at the Manufacturer’s Forum at NARAM-50.

Now, a lot has happened in the economy and financial world since NARAM-50. And thanks to horrible to non-existent consumer protection practices in China (like milk with POISON in it!), a lot of products from China are having to jump thru more hoops than before. So, any delays in Quest coming out with these would not be surprising. So, there is no need to go jumping on Bill Stine or Quest for any delay or potential change in plans that might occur.

But for someone to claim here that these kits and engines were “rumors” and not “announced” is 100% wrong.

- George Gassaway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0380.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  69.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0384.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  90.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1488.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  28.5 KB  
Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I know some folks have trouble distinguishing rumors from announcements.
- George Gassaway

I doubt it. I saw an Enertek catalog and even quite a few prototypes and short run production kits. They died before release.

The Quest "Pre-announcement" clearly states "Spring 2009". This is Spring 2009.

The Estes "Pre-announcement stated the Pro Series would have E-F-G engines or whatever. Didn't happen.

Estes pre-announced NCR F's and G's, shipped a few F's than discontinued the line.

Let's give Bill all the support he needs to open this line of business. I suspect an approved NAR cert followed by an announcement shipping has commenced ought to just about do it.

Let it go George.

Jerry
Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM
GET GOONY!!

I was one of those who 'fondled' the protoype motors at NARAM 50's vendor forum (Bill's words!). They will of course need to be certified, and I am sure that the motors would need to be stockpiled/warehoused for a number of reasons, most retail oriented. I was just wonderng if anyone has heard anything new oin the possible release date.... no conspiracies.

GET GOONY!!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM

I don't claim to know what the actual delay is, but they would need DOT approvals, and more difficult, product specific packaging approvals. It may be the packaging approvals must preceed the DOT approvals who also approves the packaging. There is also a strong possibility he made so many in advance because he intends to get lower level approvals through TESTING vs "by analogy".

If he successfully achieves ORM-D through testing, that would be a truly great thing.

Jerry