Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Well, I say let's not make the launch controller more complicated than necessary by trying to solve something with technology when the people involved can easily handle it.

Put a piezo buzzer in the relay box so that it screams whenever the relay is closed. ...

Bill

I think my point was/is that there's little value in doing even this; depending on how the system has been designed, there may already be an adequate indication which, when taken together with sound launch procedure, would ameliorate the risk to an acceptable level. Let's not "complexify" that which can be kept simple.

In short, I think we may be in violent agreement, at least in principle.

Back to my curmudgeoning with fuses...
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Baffles: I can take ‘em or leave ‘em. They do make a nice place to mount a shock cord. Ejection pistons are nice as well, but require more maintenance.

Complex Motor Mounts… Not needed. Although the SEMROC system for swapping out cluster and single-motor mounts in the same rocket is very nice. Save for that, a simple clip (without that stupid hook) is great.

Tapered Fins: Only for competition. Basically give them fins a nice shaping and your rocket will fly nicely.

LONG shock cords… I do go longer than stock, normally about 2x body length (within reason… not on a Mean Machine). The biggest advantage to a LONG cord is that when a rocket goes into a tree it normally hangs up on the chute. The longer the cord, the closer the rocket is to the ground., and the more likely it is to be rescued.

Clear coats: nice for displays and holding decals in place, not for daily fliers. By better paint, save yourself some work.

Fiberglass… Fiberglass… Hate it. Useless stuff.

Quest igniters: The longer, insulated leads are convenient.

Astrocam: LOVE IT! Don’t fly it anymore, but LOVE IT. I actually got a couple of acceptable pictures with mine. The smaller booster was kinda crappy, but the Maniac/Challenger II was a sweet kit (as was the LongShot).