Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Welcome back into the hobby. Things have changed over the years. NARAM 50 is next year in The Plains VA, July 26th - Aug 1st, look for details on the NAR web site www.nar.org

You're not kidding. What happened to the B-14's?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
You're not kidding. What happened to the B-14's?

They required a special manufacturing step -- drilling out the core -- that added a lot to the cost. Estes is pretty serious about Return on Investment, so away they went.

I'm actually surprised that there's as much motor variety as there is. I would sure like things like A booster motors and some kind of high-thrust motor, but I make do.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Master Modeler

The motor situation was discussed in detail, both, on the Estes Forum, and behind the scenes.

I requested the return of the B14's, but was told by management, that Estes would not put their employees in harms way because of the secondary drilling operation. I also commented here, it probably could be done automatically. I had also heard that there was some talk about Estes bringing the B14's back, but, I think that chatter was just speculation.

I had also requested that a larger variety of booster motors be made available, the B6-0 is available in the educators pack of motors, I suggested that they package them in three packs,I was told that they woild consider it.

As you have pointed out, it's the sales figures that dictates which motors stay and which motors are pulled.

I think that the only way to make changes would be to send in requests to Estes for items that everyone would be interested in.

Marketing Manager
Estes-Cox Corp.
1295 H Street
Penrose CO 81240
Old 12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Master Modeler

When I met with some of the Estes folks at the Makers Faire in Austin several months ago,
I "pushed" pretty hard about bringing back the B6-0's and B14's (and a few other popular
engines, such as the C5-3's). I was told that something "may" happen in this area, so we'll
have to wait and see.

I still have a few B14's in my collection (have the Centuri labels), and even used one not
too long ago for the NAR OOP motor testing program. Despite all the years it's been in
storage, it worked like a charm from ignition to ejection.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Master Modeler

As you know from the Estes Forum, the subject of motors was discussed over and oaver again.

I submitted a "list" of requested motors and was met with stiiff resistance, the easy one, is for the B6-0's to be packaged in a three pack. Right now, the B6-0's are part of an educators buolk pack of motors.

There needs to be a mini booster, the C5-3 and others.
I will tell you straight up, you WILL NOT see the return of the B14's from Estes, and, this is right from the top!!!

You will also not see any D motor bulk packs either.

Only by requesting changes, will changes be made, hopefully.

And, as far as the Makers Faire goes, I am very surprised that Estes put on display any prototypes.

I wanted the Red Max info to be released,k and was told straight out NO, only to have it published in the 2007 catalog, and, that was a mistake, it wasn't suppose to be in the catalog.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
BAR

Welcome back, glad you found us here. Parts for cloning the bomarc are available at http://www.balsamachining.com, parts for cloning the scout & stiletto are available from http://www.semroc.com. Do you still have any of your vintage kits?

Beware, the bug can bite pretty hard the 2nd time around!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I submitted a "list" of requested motors and was met with stiiff resistance, the easy one, is for the B6-0's to be packaged in a three pack. Right now, the B6-0's are part of an educators buolk pack of motors.

I think the B6-6/B6-0 bulk pack is the only way these two motors will survive. While I would prefer having the 3-packs, I am under the impression that Estes decided some time ago to go this route in order to keep them alive. The alternative would have been to discontinue them altogether.

I could be wrong, but this is what I perceive to be the case. Using this packaging, they lower their cost and increase their per unit revenue (& profit) thus making it worth their effort.

Doug
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I think the B6-6/B6-0 bulk pack is the only way these two motors will survive. While I would prefer having the 3-packs, I am under the impression that Estes decided some time ago to go this route in order to keep them alive. The alternative would have been to discontinue them altogether.

I could be wrong, but this is what I perceive to be the case. Using this packaging, they lower their cost and increase their per unit revenue (& profit) thus making it worth their effort.

Doug

Nope.

Customers for the bulk packs are schools and youth groups. School yards are not large enough for a two-stage rocket with a C6-0 booster. When Estes tried to force-feed the bulk pack with the C6-0 booster, the schools reacted angrily. Models flew oout of the school yard and often landed on busy highways/streets or in neighbors back yards. This created an unsafe situation for continuing the school Model Rocket programs. It was either return the B6-0 or lose customers.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'd even settle for the return of the semi-ported old B8-0 and C5-0S engines if we can't get the B14 back. At least those engines had some potential lifting ability that the B6-0 and C6-0 SEVERELY lack.

Their whole reasoning regarding safety in production of the B14 is pure hogwash if they had the drilling operation performed by an automated machine that has no humans around except for loading the motors into the machine and packaging the finished motors.

At best it is pure mamby-pamby-ness and worst it is just some nonsense excuse once again why Estes refuses to supply hobbyists with products they actually WANT, not what they want us to buy !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
At best it is pure mamby-pamby-ness.....

LMAO