Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Maxi X-Wing

This is the third kit I am working on during my 2 week vacation... I built this kit as a kid and it was challenging. I remember it flying but not too high. The two parachutes were neat and it sure looked good. I will build this slow and will have it done in a month. I normally only build one rocket at time so I don't end up with incomplete builds. But since I am on vacation I will break this rule......Also I am going to try and build my "plastic vintage" rockets while I am building the regular rockets. These plastic jobs take a while to build and I don't want to impede progress on my standard rockets.

Sure is a lot of parts.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

You're going to love this puppy when it's done

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Master Modeler

Leo, did you build this bird? If so did you use plastic cement like the plans call for when gluing the wings to the plastic? I remember as a kid I used plastic cement and it worked fine. Was strong enough to hold during launch and landings.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

I strongly recommend using plastic cement glue. Use a nice amount and the joint will hold very well.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I hope you plan to fly this one one reasonable engines that are LARGER than the SU BP Estes D12.
A flight of a Maxi X-Wing on a D12-3 is what could be described as barely above a "dud" at best.
A flight of one of these on an Aerotech SU E15 or an RMS24 E18 or F24 is a NICE flight.
For the plastic parts that are in the airstream subjected to flight loads, I would use Tenax 7R liquid plastic welder to glue the plastic-to-plastic joints. For gluing dis-similar parts such as plastic to cardboard or balsa, I would use 5-minute epoxy.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I hope you plan to fly this one one reasonable engines that are LARGER than the SU BP Estes D12.
A flight of a Maxi X-Wing on a D12-3 is what could be described as barely above a "dud" at best.
A flight of one of these on an Aerotech SU E15 or an RMS24 E18 or F24 is a NICE flight.
For the plastic parts that are in the airstream subjected to flight loads, I would use Tenax 7R liquid plastic welder to glue the plastic-to-plastic joints. For gluing dis-similar parts such as plastic to cardboard or balsa, I would use 5-minute epoxy.

Thanks for the advise, but I am trying to keep this bird as close to vintage as possible. My pops and I flew this bird when I was a kid and it flew nice, just slow. I have 3 of these kits so the next one I build will be more powerful. On the next build I will add motor mounts to the 4 engines.

Leo, thanks for the advise.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Thanks for the advise, but I am trying to keep this bird as close to vintage as possible. My pops and I flew this bird when I was a kid and it flew nice, just slow. I have 3 of these kits so the next one I build will be more powerful. On the next build I will add motor mounts to the 4 engines.

Leo, thanks for the advise.

Good luck; if you need more advice, I'm more than capable of providing it.....
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Master Modeler

This build is going slow, but that was to be expected. The balsa required some minor repairs and filler for some dents and minor damage. I began applying the balsa sealer to the balsa wood. The plastic took some sanding to get a tight fit and I still need to apply putty. This is a fun build and nothing like the smell of an old Estes kit, balsa sealer and Testors plastic glue. I will keep the pictures going as the build comes along. I think after this one I will being on the Tie fighter. I hope to start my Vintage Estes Big Bertha build next week.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Master Modeler

I have the plastic filled and sanded smooth. I also finished applying sealer to the balsa parts. I will let the fillets dry tonight, glue the wings to the fuselage and prime in the am. I am sure that I will have to apply more filler to some of the plastic pieces.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Master Modeler

I think I finally have the nose where I want it. I used Testors filler and grey primer to cover the unsightly seam. I have one grey coat and will sand it down today. I will then apply white and call it a day. I will try to have this bird done this week.